JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:55 AM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
JCW bypass valve

I believe it’s the same part as the S model, but there’s a bit of plumbing that differs. The S has a little vacuum line running from the body to the valve. For the JCW, though, a vacuum line runs from the valve to a T connector, because vacuum needs to be supplied to the air box. I’ve found a vacuum leak at my bypass valve, and it looks to me like the vacuum line was just stufffed into the hole there and now perhaps has shrunk enough where it’s loose. There does not appear to be any type of connector. Can anyone verify that there is not supposed to be a connector on the valve itself? I’m going to replace the valve with a DT and probably replumb it anyway since I have a third party CAI and no need for the extra line. But I’m curious if it was correctly put together in the first place, or possibly caused when modding the car by a PO.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:34 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Answering my own question. I took the bypass valve out today, and there is a nipple inside the insertion point on the actuator. The hose was very easy to disconnect from this nipple, and probably was jostled loose by me yanking wires while working on the front of the engine (the TMAP sensor wires which are pretty short). So, my vacuum leak is entirely due to the deterioration of the vacuum hose, which is soft rubber, plus me knocking about six inches away.
i believe this leak might be the source of my P1242 code after replacing the TMAP. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.