R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Will this void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 07:08 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this void the warranty?

I think I've pretty much decided against getting the Xenons on my Cooper. Even though I really like them, I have better things to spend $500+ on. So here's my question, I like the look of blue-ish headlights, I think they look much cleaner and sportier than the typical yellowish, stock halogen bulbs. If I pick up a set of Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs or something similar, and put them in my MINI, will that void my warranty? Just curious.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2004, 07:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Nope.
Just use the same size bulbs and keep the stock bulbs just in case.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:27 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
The Xenon's are a bargain compared to adding them later. I ordered them, and driving a vehicle without them sucks! I absolutely think they are worth every penny. I also look at them as a safety item as well. They run around 4300 Kelvin, so they don't really have that bluish HID Audi look, but higher Kelvin aftermarket bulbs are available.

Various Kelvin temperature HID bulbs

2005 Xenon headlights

2005 Cooper S with Xenon option

Old 12-20-2004, 07:28 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Nope.
Just use the same size bulbs and keep the stock bulbs just in case.
Thanks...

If anyone has a recomendation for me, let me know...I'm going for the HID look. I have Sylvania Silverstars in my current car, and they look nothing like real HIDs. I want a blue look...the Silverstars are plain white.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:29 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
It will, but only if you use bulbs that aren't the correct size and/or voltage and ram them into the connectors causing an unimaginable amount of damage to your car in the process....

As long as you don't do that, you've got nothing to worry about

Old 12-20-2004, 07:39 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by speltzer
The Xenon's are a bargain compared to adding them later. I ordered them, and driving a vehicle without them sucks! I absolutely think they are worth every penny. I also look at them as a safety item as well. They run around 4300 Kelvin, so they don't really have that bluish HID Audi look, but higher Kelvin aftermarket bulbs are available.

Various Kelvin temperature HID bulbs

2005 Xenon headlights

2005 Cooper S with Xenon option
Your straight on pic is not showing up as you like. It show Richard Simmons and a pink car with the words powered by KY and Remote Linking not allowed.

Paul

Old 12-20-2004, 07:44 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
The Xenon's are a bargain compared to adding them later. I ordered them, and driving a vehicle without them sucks! I absolutely think they are worth every penny. I also look at them as a safety item as well.

I agree...I love Xenons, but here's the kicker...I'm 17...I'm already pushing it...would you let your 17 year old son sell a $15k car he got brand new, and has had for less than two years...and go buy another $20k new car, the same year he's planning on going to college? My parents are able to help me out financially, and they paid for a good chunk of my current car, but still, I know I'm pushing it. They have already agreed to co-sign a loan for me, but I don't think they were expecting me to load up on the options enough to push the price up to almost $20k....I originally told them I'd spend maybe $17k tops, now I'm up to well over $18k....if I add the Xenons, that puts me right about $19k. I'm pretty responsible, and my parents know that...plus, I'm lucky that they are able to help me out if I need to take a few months off work when school gets overwhelming, etc...well see. I told my mom today that I wanted to spend $550 on blue headlights, and she kinda brushed it off as ridiculous...who knows what will happen. No matter what color headlights it has, the MINI is still one of the coolest cars on the road, imo...and I love it. That I am able to afford a brand new MINI at 17 (18 when I get it) is awesome, and I won't complain either way.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:46 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
I agree...I love Xenons, but here's the kicker...I'm 17...I'm already pushing it...would you let your 17 year old son sell a $15k car he got brand new, and has had for less than two years...and go buy another $20k new car, the same year he's planning on going to college? My parents are able to help me out financially, and they paid for a good chunk of my current car, but still, I know I'm pushing it. They have already agreed to co-sign a loan for me, but I don't think they were expecting me to load up on the options enough to push the price up to almost $20k....I originally told them I'd spend maybe $17k tops, now I'm up to well over $18k....if I add the Xenons, that puts me right about $19k. I'm pretty responsible, and my parents know that...plus, I'm lucky that they are able to help me out if I need to take a few months off work when school gets overwhelming, etc...well see. I told my mom today that I wanted to spend $550 on blue headlights, and she kinda brushed it off as ridiculous...who knows what will happen. No matter what color headlights it has, the MINI is still one of the coolest cars on the road, imo...and I love it. That I am able to afford a brand new MINI at 17 (18 when I get it) is awesome, and I won't complain either way.
Sell it as a safety issue. Better light better visiability.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:49 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pcnorton
Sell it as a safety issue. Better light better visiability.
Yeah, I'm hoping the salesmen will help me out by selling my parents on some of the options as well.

The only option I absolutely have to have is the sunroof, and my parents are fine with that, thank god.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:52 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
Straight from Acura marketing hype...

XENON HIGH-INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLIGHTS
"Traditional headlight bulbs illuminate a tungsten filament inside a sealed bulb containing halogen gas. Xenon HID low-beam bulbs, however, use a high voltage current that passes between two electrodes to create a plasma arc. This accounts for their brightness and "daylight-like" illumination.

They are also superior to tungsten-halogen bulbs in lumens, or lighting power. The Xenon HID bulbs on the RL provide a lighting pattern that is both longer and wider than that of the 2004 3.5 RL. In addition, the tungsten-halogen high beams provide a wider illumination spread than before. The low beams on the 2005 RL have a brightness of 825 lumens, compared to 692 lumens for the previous generation RL. For the driver, these advances mean even better illumination for enhanced confidence and safety.

The RL Xenon HID low-beam headlight bulbs have a projected life span of 1,500 hours compared to 1,000 hours for a normal bulb."

Old 12-20-2004, 08:02 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Straight from Acura marketing hype...

XENON HIGH-INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLIGHTS
"Traditional headlight bulbs illuminate a tungsten filament inside a sealed bulb containing halogen gas. Xenon HID low-beam bulbs, however, use a high voltage current that passes between two electrodes to create a plasma arc. This accounts for their brightness and "daylight-like" illumination.

They are also superior to tungsten-halogen bulbs in lumens, or lighting power. The Xenon HID bulbs on the RL provide a lighting pattern that is both longer and wider than that of the 2004 3.5 RL. In addition, the tungsten-halogen high beams provide a wider illumination spread than before. The low beams on the 2005 RL have a brightness of 825 lumens, compared to 692 lumens for the previous generation RL. For the driver, these advances mean even better illumination for enhanced confidence and safety.

The RL Xenon HID low-beam headlight bulbs have a projected life span of 1,500 hours compared to 1,000 hours for a normal bulb."
Interesting that you picked that as an example....I work for Acura.

On a side note, I've driven the new '05 RL multiple times...great car. For some reason I prefer the TL though, it's a sweet car. I brought my Mom in to look at them, and now she's buying a white '05 TL. As much as I like it, I still like the Mini a lot better.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:47 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
I can only say I'm glad the xenons didn't make my '05 MCS look like the example speltzer posted.

Mark

Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 AM
haskindmh
2nd Gear
Be careful in buying aftermarket blue bulbs that mimic Xenon headlights. Most of them are illegal. In the fine print on the package they will say "for offroad use only". Most of the bad reputatin that Xenon lights have for blinding oncoming drivers are from these aftermarket "offroad" bulbs. The Sylvania Silverstars are one of the few brighter aftermarket bulbs that are legal. As far as warranty is concerned; a warranty claim cannot be denied unless it can be proven that an aftermarket part caused the problem. For example, if you install aftermarket bulbs of a higher wattage and the wiring to your headlights burns up or the housing melts due to excess bulb heat, then MINI cannot be held responsible. But they can't deny an engine repair because you installed aftermarket headlights.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:32 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
I told my mom today that I wanted to spend $550 on blue headlights, and she kinda brushed it off as ridiculous....
She is right, It is clear you want the look of xenon's, spending $550 on looks (when its not all your money) is absolutely ridiculous.

In my opinion it is worth the $550 (barely) to have the xenon's. We who have them love our xenons do so because of the visibility, not he looks.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:59 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I think I've pretty much decided against getting the Xenons on my Cooper. Even though I really like them, I have better things to spend $500+ on. So here's my question, I like the look of blue-ish headlights, I think they look much cleaner and sportier than the typical yellowish, stock halogen bulbs. If I pick up a set of Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs or something similar, and put them in my MINI, will that void my warranty? Just curious.

Thanks
I installed the Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs on my MC and they last only 6 months, I do not drive the car very much and since putting them in I did about 5000 miles with very little night driving. They do have a good warranty, I kept my reciept and filed a claim for the bulbs. They refunded the full price and sales tax. I talked with the techs at the dealer and they have heard that aftermarket bulbs do burn out quicker.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:08 PM
SavageSmurf
1st Gear
I'm really glad they come as standard in Canada

Just got my 05 MCS and I have never been a big fan of xenons in the past, but they've really grown on me (in terms of being worth what they would have cost seperately). They look great and seem to be really good quality not to mention they are self leveling. Try as hard as you can to get them because they just look great, especially with the unique look of the 05 units.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:35 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini-rolls
I installed the Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs on my MC and they last only 6 months, I do not drive the car very much and since putting them in I did about 5000 miles with very little night driving. They do have a good warranty, I kept my reciept and filed a claim for the bulbs. They refunded the full price and sales tax. I talked with the techs at the dealer and they have heard that aftermarket bulbs do burn out quicker.
Just out of curiosity, how did the Cool Blues look on the Mini? Did they have that blue-ish HID look, or were they closer to normal halogens?

Thanks