R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:00 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
R53 oil leak?

Ok I thought I had the same ol oil leaks that these cars are notorious for ( crank sensor o-ring, valve cover and oil pan gasket) which all have been replaced recently but still spots on the drive so back under the car I go. The last gasket I replaced was the oil pan and was last weekend and while the pan was down I cleaned everything very through but noticed an opening to the transmission. I sprayed brake cleaner and had lots of grime flowing out of it and was really hoping the rear main seal isn’t leaking. Well like I say I still have spots on the driveway and the very lowest bolt head has the oil on it right where the engine and trans bolt together so is it most likely the rear main seal? That will b a huge job since the trans has to come out but I read on here that if you have a failed rear main seal your clutch would slip which it does not. Ideas??

The following users liked this post:
RhinoEngler (05-01-2020)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by alconk
Ok I thought I had the same ol oil leaks that these cars are notorious for ( crank sensor o-ring, valve cover and oil pan gasket) which all have been replaced recently but still spots on the drive so back under the car I go. The last gasket I replaced was the oil pan and was last weekend and while the pan was down I cleaned everything very through but noticed an opening to the transmission. I sprayed brake cleaner and had lots of grime flowing out of it and was really hoping the rear main seal isn’t leaking. Well like I say I still have spots on the driveway and the very lowest bolt head has the oil on it right where the engine and trans bolt together so is it most likely the rear main seal? That will b a huge job since the trans has to come out but I read on here that if you have a failed rear main seal your clutch would slip which it does not. Ideas??
Oil Cooler gaskets
Oil Filter gasket
Dip Stick O-ring
Timing Chain Guide O-rings
Front Main Seal

Yeah, these cars leak like they have Swiss cheese for gaskets. May the Force be with you....

The following users liked this post:
RhinoEngler (05-01-2020)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 AM
alconk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Oil Cooler gaskets
Oil Filter gasket
Dip Stick O-ring
Timing Chain Guide O-rings
Front Main Seal

Yeah, these cars leak like they have Swiss cheese for gaskets. May the Force be with you....
Lol all of those items are fine just concerned where the block meets the trans

Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Clean everything well and the run it. Get under and look for where the highest set spot is. Your leak will originate somewhere in that area. I don’t agree that they leak like Swiss cheese. I have 81000 miles and no leaks other than the power steering low pressure hose that leaked at the tank. Fixed that with a screw hose clamp.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Good thing about being here, Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; However, These cars are NOTORIOUS for leaking, count yourself lucky if you've not experienced this problem.... thus the reason the OP is asking the question after all the other PROBLEM spots have been taken care of

Old 06-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Good thing about being here, Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; However, These cars are NOTORIOUS for leaking, count yourself lucky if you've not experienced this problem.... thus the reason the OP is asking the question after all the other PROBLEM spots have been taken care of
[size=3] Everyone has different experiences. I’m sure I’m not the only person who has not had leaks. Some do and some don’t. Maybe the only people we hear from are primarily those who have issues. If you don’t have problems you are less likely to comment on here.[/size]

Old 06-10-2019, 01:38 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
[size=3] Everyone has different experiences. I’m sure I’m not the only person who has not had leaks. Some do and some don’t. Maybe the only people we hear from are primarily those who have issues. If you don’t have problems you are less likely to comment on here.[/size]
Yep very true

Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Yep very true
Not saying that everyone has leaks, stating that these cars are Notorious for their leaks. Just like the PS pumps on these cars are problematic, I've not had this problem, but it still exists. As popular as NAM is, I'm certain that not Every One that owns a Mini is a member. Nothing is absolute Denying a known problem doesn't make it go away. Good luck with figuring out what your leak is.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:30 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Well I found out where the oil leak is coming from and it's not oil but trans oil. It's leaking from the clutch release rod bushing but now will have to figure out how to replace it. I will post a different topic for that.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:06 AM
RudeJoe
4th Gear
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
...I sprayed brake cleaner and had lots of grime flowing out of it and was really hoping the rear main seal isn’t leaking
The grime was at least in part the dust from the clutch and flywheel. When I changed out my clutch the interior of the bell housing was coated with a black soot. Your brake cleaner liberated that soot. I took pictures when I changed out the clutch on my Mini, if I can find them I'll post them this evening.

Based on your other posts you might still have an oil leak from the rear main seal or the front transmission seal.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Even a badly rear main seal will unlikely cause the clutch to slip. The oil is blocked by the front of the flywheel and centrifugal force will fling the oil onto the bell housing then leak out via the "drain hole". The remaining coating on the bell housing help clean the dust off the environment like how K&N filter works.

You symptom is consistent a harden thus leaking rear main seal. What is th mileage of the engine?

All ICE engine leak oil sooner or later. Typically proportional to the milage of the engine. Think cumulative heat and time - like the area under the temperature time curve of the engine parts.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 AM
alconk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Even a badly rear main seal will unlikely cause the clutch to slip. The oil is blocked by the front of the flywheel and centrifugal force will fling the oil onto the bell housing then leak out via the "drain hole". The remaining coating on the bell housing help clean the dust off the environment like how K&N filter works.

You symptom is consistent a harden thus leaking rear main seal. What is th mileage of the engine?

All ICE engine leak oil sooner or later. Typically proportional to the milage of the engine. Think cumulative heat and time - like the area under the temperature time curve of the engine parts.
Car has 136k on it. I was looking at pictures last night on how to replace that bushing and I gathered there is no oil or fluids in that area. Sorry never had one apart. So are you saying the flywheel is flinging oil from the rear main up to the bushing and leaking out of it then?

Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
I cannot debug your problem remotely for you. I am just giving you some fruits for thought. Successful diagnose ultimately depends on you.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 AM
alconk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I cannot debug your problem remotely for you. I am just giving you some fruits for thought. Successful diagnose ultimately depends on you.
Sure I understand and greatly appreciate any thoughts or options that is why I come here.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Got pics of the leak?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-20-2019, 02:10 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Got pics of the leak?
I will get some.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:12 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Ok thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Ok thanks
No thank you I appreciate your concern