R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 gen 1 aero kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:12 AM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
gen 1 aero kit

I have an 04 Cooper S that I bought with the Dealer installed JCW upgrade kit and aero bodywork and until recently when it was attacked my my neighbor's dog I did not realize that the body panels were so unique. None of the usual suppliers list these parts for a Gen 1 that I have found, but I did see a complete used Gen 1 aero kit on eBay from a seller in Florida listed for $1,600 and a couple of aero front bumpers in the UK also on eBay listed for $430 to $560.

Was the aero body kit part of the $5000 JCW package or was it a separate dealer package? If so what did the aero package originally cost and what did it include? I love my mini and would like to keep it as nice as I reasonably can, so I hope I don't see any major body damage that might require some of these parts. Fortunately the worst dog damage was deep claw marks in the left front bonnet mounted wheel arch trim piece which is readily available.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:27 AM
koreycon
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hens teeth at this point

Let’s see the damage?

it dosent sound bad and I’m sure the damage can be handled by a local Shoppe

Save yourself the time and money.

i paid 1200 for mine used and had it painted for another 600.

be happy you have one

cheers

Old 04-22-2019, 01:41 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by koreycon
Let’s see the damage? it dosent sound bad and I’m sure the damage can be handled by a local Shoppe
Save yourself the time and money. i paid 1200 for mine used and had it painted for another 600. be happy you have one
cheers

Most of the damage was on the left front corner plus a chip in the white stripe paint. The last photo is of the left rear wheel arch trim where the dog tore another piece out of the cover and scratched it in the process. The dog owner did buy me a new cover but he has not responded about the other damage. i only asked him to pay $105 total for the wheel arch trim piece and a new cover for my mower which the dog tore up at the same time chasing chipmunks. I told him I'd try fixing the other scratches myself and that I'd install the new trim piece myself to save the labor cost. Since then he has not responded and not answered his door so I left him the photos of the damage and listings for the items I needed to order. I took to a body shop last week and they wrote up an estimate of $1500 which included $395 for a new standard bumper because he could not find an aero bumper replacement; he said they could not match the matt finish of the original if they tried to repair it. If the neighbpr still won't answer the door I plan to leave him a copy of that estimate and a note that he can pay the $105 now or come to small claims court and pay the $1500.

My main reason for this post was to ask if the aero trim was part of the JCW upgrade or a separate additional package; anyone know? I have a $7,500 agreed value on my Hagerty policy but don't know where I'd find the same car for that amount.

Last edited by philwarner; 04-22-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:16 PM
itchynscratchy
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the aero kit was a separate additional package (not 100% sure)...possible it was part of the jcw upgrade in 05 and 06.
Mini no longer sells the aero kit piece meal and only available as an entire package (bumpers and side skirts)...though that may have changed as well.
I was lucky to grab an aero front bumper in spring of 2017 from a dealer after my neighbor backed into my car, which I'm finally in the process of getting fixed this week.

What kind of dog caused that damage? I don't think i've ever heard of a dog attacking a stationary car before.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:40 PM
koreycon
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I dunno, seems minimal and I would ask him to pay any repair you want.

good luck either way.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by itchynscratchy
I believe the aero kit was a separate additional package (not 100% sure)...possible it was part of the jcw upgrade in 05 and 06.
Mini no longer sells the aero kit piece meal and only available as an entire package (bumpers and side skirts)...though that may have changed as well.
I was lucky to grab an aero front bumper in spring of 2017 from a dealer after my neighbor backed into my car, which I'm finally in the process of getting fixed this week.

What kind of dog caused that damage? I don't think i've ever heard of a dog attacking a stationary car before.
Pit Bull. He chases squirrels and chipmunks and one must have run under the Mini. I heard him barking early one morning and looked out to make sure he didn't have a cat cornered and only later discovered the mini's cover in shreds. I have an 86 Corvette project car and a year or two ago the same dog was trying to get at something under it and put half a dozen big chips in the front of it with his claws and jumped up on the hood and on top of it with big muddy paws and I had to push him off with a push broom several times before he finally quit.. That car is no where near pristine so I let it go that time, but the mini is one of two "show cars" for me and it really pi--ed me off. I called the sheriff's animal control man after I discovered the shredded mini cover and he told the owner that if "Max" was found running loose again he would be fined or face jail time. He told me that I had a right to shoot the dog if it was on my property doing damage, but it is the owner's fault not the dog's. He has tried to keep Max fenced since then but Max is a very strong dog and he still gets loose from time to time. So far there's been no further Mini damage, but he has watered the wife's mini-van wheels pretty well several times. i feel I've been as patient as possible and am not asking the owner for much, and it bugs the heck out of me when folks refuse to take responsibility. If we do end up in small claims, I'll ask for the whole Mini repair and ask for the Corvette repair as well.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:40 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
File in small claims court and get a ruling. This "neighbor" is not going to be cooperative. It also sounds like the dog needs to be confiscated and dealt with. Next time it might be you he takes a chunk from.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:41 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
File in small claims court and get a ruling. This "neighbor" is not going to be cooperative. It also sounds like the dog needs to be confiscated and dealt with. Next time it might be you he takes a chunk from.
When the animal control officer said I could shoot the dog I told him I'd rather shoot the neighbor and he just smiled. The dog is not vicious, at least he has not been that I've seen. He is actually very friendly - and very strong. I found him once down by my garage with a 20 foot steel cable on his collar all wrapped around the tongue of a trailer so he was brought up short. I untangled the cable and used it like a leash to take him back home and half way there he started practically dragging me along. Strong dog. It is too bad the owner is irresponsible.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Out here stray destructive dogs have a habit of disappearing. If you love your dog, keep it on your own property. Hope you filed a police report.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:35 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Even if your body shop can't 100% match that textured paint on the Aero Bumper arch, I'd have them do the best they can vs putting on a stock "S" bumper. That would be last resort for me after having the Aero Bumper... Every now and then parts of the Aero Kit show up on here for sell. When I had my kit put on years ago I opted to have them paint match all the arches to body color and didn't have to paint the textured paint as it never is perfect anyway...

Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
AERO was an option in 2002 ... well b4 the JCW was available.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:42 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
That’s not a hard job for any body shop.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:46 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
AERO was an option in 2002 ... well b4 the JCW was available.
Thanks for the info. So the aero package was not part of the JCW upgrade? Is there any way to know if it was purchased with the car or added later? The specifications for this car's vin at http://bimmer.work/ do not list an aero package among the options. Anyone know what the package cost in 2004?

The build date of my Mini was 12/1/2003 and the date on the JCW upgrade certificate is 3/15/2004 done at 1.500 miles.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally Posted by philwarner
So the aero package was not part of the JCW upgrade? Is there any way to know if it was purchased with the car or added later?
Correct, the 1st gen kit was called the MINI aerodynamics package and was not JCW branded accessory, although it’s often called the JCW aero kit by mistake. There was also an aero rear wing available separately which is different from the JCW carbon wing. They’re rare, but I’ve seen a few used ones for sale throughout the years over on Minitorque.

Not sure how to tell if the car was built with the aero kit, or if it was installed at the port or dealer.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
The car wouldn't have been built with the Aero Kit as it wasn't a factory option.

From RealOEM ...