R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Scanner question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:09 AM
speedman
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Scanner question

I need to clear a P2096 code and the dealer want one of my body parts and the local mini shop want $125. I thought I could put that money towards a scan tool. I have read here and other forums that certain scan tools will do, but others say it won’t so I am confused. I need a solid answer on a scan tool that will do the clearing.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:29 PM
jfrantz
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Get the Schwaben/Foxwell scan tool from ECS Tuning. It's even on sale now. Here is the link: Scan_Tool

I bought this tool a couple of years ago and it has easily paid for itself. I had one of the cheaper Chinese Creator tools before but it was about useless. Foxwell continues to provide software updates for the Schwaben tool so it works with the newest vehicles too.

-Jeff

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (12-24-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:09 PM
speedman
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Will your tool let you Clare the adaptions and change the convince functions also?

Old 12-22-2018, 08:48 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
It'll only clear the trouble codes.
It will not let you change the convenience functions. Only NCS Expert can do that. https://ncs-expert.com/purchase

Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 AM
PAWS
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine clears the code 2096 and is all good until next time I restart, check engine returns

Old 02-14-2019, 01:55 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by PAWS
mine clears the code 2096 and is all good until next time I restart, check engine returns
That's because the error condition associated with code is still present. You need to find and fix the problem the code is flagging.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:52 PM
Cease
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RockC
That's because the error condition associated with code is still present. You need to find and fix the problem the code is flagging.
+1

I like my Scanguage a lot, feel like it was a good investment.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:28 AM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a Scangauge and an ELM327 device to use with DashCommand on my phone. Both can read and clear codes and also serve as active gauges while driving. I keep the Scangauge mounted next to my steering wheel.

And i I just got NCS Expert working last night because I want to program some convenience features. The tricky part there is that you’ll overlap a lot of BMW nerds and get some advice only applicable to their cars. So here’s how I did it:

• Buy a K+DCAN cable off Amazon
  • open it up and solder pins 7&8 together if they’re not already joined
    • i believe this is true for R50 and R53 generations but NOT the R56
  • find GTECKO’s thread on NAM that includes a link to a package of MINI software tools.
  • Download the suite he links to
  • unpack it
  • open the first PDF and follow those instructions to install the software
    • Note he did this for the R56 and there's one difference. The daten folder in the R50 folder will not have a file called LADEN.BAT. I copied the one from the R56 folder and edited it so that the first line reads R50 instead of R56
    • Ignore the errors you get at the end of running laden.bat. I believe they're just tests that fail because the folder structure isn't what the batch file expects. I don't believe
  • so far, I have not upgraded the daten files and am still with the v38 included since they seem to work. I understand this might not be true if you've had software updates to the firmware in your car.
  • open the second pdf and follow those instructions, though first read the R53 Add-on thread, to understand the difference in interfaces between the cars.
it was pretty easy once I find his thread and package, and pretty hard prior to that. I was also able to install Rheingold/ISTA from bimmergeeks.com and it seems to work, too, though I haven't really done much with it other than watch it connect. I didn't have to configure anything to get it to work, other than telling it to use the EDIABAS default as it's comm device.

Edit: here are the links:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...beginners.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...de-add-in.html
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by mslatter; 02-15-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added links, some details to instructions
The following users liked this post:
ACGOG (11-07-2019)