R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 JCW Resonator delete in MA. Will it pass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:25 AM
TomL1013
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Resonator delete in MA. Will it pass?

I am considering removing the resonator on my 2006 JCW. Has anyone in MA done this and still been able to pass our fascist safety inspections? I am curious how much louder it is in general where it would draw attention. The only videos I can find are the "after" there is no comparison to help understand how much louder it is.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Not much louder, and it shouldn't effect your emissions testing at all.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM
TomL1013
1st Gear
Thanks, I am specifically looking to see if any Massachusetts folks who have done it have had issues. MA has stupid rules basically making any exhaust modifications illegal. When in doubt they will just fail you.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Would think if the EMS light is not on and that they see the Cat when the put a mirror under the car, the car will pass.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TomL1013
Thanks, I am specifically looking to see if any Massachusetts folks who have done it have had issues. MA has stupid rules basically making any exhaust modifications illegal. When in doubt they will just fail you.
It would seem that it would be in a shop's best interest to pass your vehicle if they can by the letter of the law. No one likes lost business.

The MA law is written in a generic fashion like most states...

"No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust."

Pennsylvania has the same provision.

"The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle..."

I think you need to find some new mechanics, I've never once failed inspection for exhaust noise on any car I've ever owned.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 AM
TomL1013
1st Gear
The big gotcha is the "cannot be modified in any way." If a shop "thinks" there may be a modification I have had them either fail or let me know they are going to fail and that they would rather not inspect. Independent shops are always worried about getting caught passing modified vehicles and losing their ability to do inspections. Especially lately the state has added in stricter rules and actually record video of the inspection to see if there is anything shady going on.

My main question is would a removed resonator immediately throw up the red flag to an inspector? Is it loud enough over the regular JCW at low RPMS where they would immediately question modifications? I really wish the state had an objective way to determine what is ok and what is not. For example a decibel level that is the legal volume etc.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
The big gotcha is the "cannot be modified in any way." If a shop "thinks" there may be a modification I have had them either fail or let me know they are going to fail and that they would rather not inspect. Independent shops are always worried about getting caught passing modified vehicles and losing their ability to do inspections. Especially lately the state has added in stricter rules and actually record video of the inspection to see if there is anything shady going on.
Wow, sounds like Mass doesn't like their small businesses.

My main question is would a removed resonator immediately throw up the red flag to an inspector? Is it loud enough over the regular JCW at low RPMS where they would immediately question modifications?
My 2006 JCW exhaust was two pieces, welded together before the split. You could have the resonator pipe taken out as a unit and a non-resonated pipe put in its place and it would look like it was supposed to be there if it was done well (to the same quality level as the factory). It doesn't get much louder. I am disappointed with how quiet the non-resonated JCW exhaust is on my car. The decel pops are the most notable difference. This is not the same as removing a muffler, which would be immediately noticeable both visually and audibly. Not every exhaust has a resonator, for all they know it is just the two mufflers at the back of the car. Obviously do this at your own risk, but it is very plausible even in a strict state.

I really wish the state had an objective way to determine what is ok and what is not. For example a decibel level that is the legal volume etc.
You can't expect the crooks to operate in a way that is reasonable or responsible to their constituents. That is just silly.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
My main question is would a removed resonator immediately throw up the red flag to an inspector? Is it loud enough over the regular JCW at low RPMS where they would immediately question modifications? I really wish the state had an objective way to determine what is ok and what is not. For example a decibel level that is the legal volume etc.
Given the sheer number of soup can straight through exhaust cars rattling around my part of MA, I really don’t think you will have a problem with a simple de-resonating if the main mufflers at the rear are still in place. Seriously, just move on to another inspector if someone flags it.

Re decibel levels, be very careful what you wish for. Massachusetts has defined it for motorcycles and it is very strict:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...er90/Section7U

The current law gives you considerably more wiggle room for your MINI than I get for my motorcycle.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Re decibel levels, be very careful what you wish for. Massachusetts has defined it for motorcycles and it is very strict:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...er90/Section7U

The current law gives you considerably more wiggle room for your MINI than I get for my motorcycle.
I much prefer the vague language as well, in PA there is little enforcement for this stuff. If you run straight pipes you will get hassled, pretty much everything else is good to go. On multiple old trucks I've waited until the exhaust rots, cut it off behind the cat and dumped it out in front of the rear tire with a Thrush/Flowmaster/other muffler. Cheap alternative that abides the law as long as it doesn't exit under the body and maintains a muffler and catalysts.

In PA most people don't even bother with motorcycle inspection because there is no enforcement. I've been pulled over for flipping my visor up at night and forgetting to put it back down, not even a mention of my bikes lack of inspection. Even if you do get your bike inspected, they don't even start the bike. It's strictly safety equipment inspection here. I live close to the Harley plant here, if you started enforcing motorcycle noise restrictions, you might have a revolution on your hands.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM
TomL1013
1st Gear
As far as the motorcycle inspections go, for MA it is a joke. The shops doing inspections, at least in my experience do a quick look for anything inherently unsafe and then move along, I have heard of friends that got busted for not having reflectors or something minor. I do regularly see straight pipe Harleys on the road with valid inspections stickers.

When it comes to cars, it is a different story. I think shops err on the side of caution when it comes to passing something borderline. I have a Scion that is running a TRD axle back exhaust, something that can be purchased at the dealership and installed before vehicle delivery. Barely louder than stock yet I get hassled be various shops every year. It some cases they slap a Reject sticker on the vehicle, which makes it where you have to replace it with stock or it will never pass. The only place I have found that will pass it with no question is the dealership I bought the car from. I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't fail a car based on parts that they have sitting over in their parts department for sale. I do regularly see cars much louder than mine driving around with legitimate inspection stickers. I guess it is a case of knowing someone willing to take a chance that you are not planted by the MA DMV to catch shady inspection stations.

If anyone has specific before/after videos I would appreciate it. Or I can take the plunge and then try to find a shade-tree way to quiet it down in the event that I need to for inspection.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:40 PM
325cuLS4
As far as the motorcycle inspections go, for MA it is a joke. The shops doing inspections, at least in my experience do a quick look for anything inherently unsafe and then move along, I have heard of friends that got busted for not having reflectors or something minor. I do regularly see straight pipe Harleys on the road with valid inspections stickers.

When it comes to cars, it is a different story. I think shops err on the side of caution when it comes to passing something borderline. I have a Scion that is running a TRD axle back exhaust, something that can be purchased at the dealership and installed before vehicle delivery. Barely louder than stock yet I get hassled be various shops every year. It some cases they slap a Reject sticker on the vehicle, which makes it where you have to replace it with stock or it will never pass. The only place I have found that will pass it with no question is the dealership I bought the car from. I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't fail a car based on parts that they have sitting over in their parts department for sale. I do regularly see cars much louder than mine driving around with legitimate inspection stickers. I guess it is a case of knowing someone willing to take a chance that you are not planted by the MA DMV to catch shady inspection stations.

If anyone has specific before/after videos I would appreciate it. Or I can take the plunge and then try to find a shade-tree way to quiet it down in the event that I need to for inspection.
I just keep my stock mufflers in storage, clamp them on for inspection then put them back in storage same day.