R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New R53 Owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:07 AM
boucherjr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New R53 Owner with questions

So hello everyone I just pick up a Mini with a blown head gasket for 500 bucks, with lots of knowledge of v-8 engines I decided to complete the job myself so here is where I was to where I'm at now

1. The car was running making noise around supercharger --- Investigated and found issue was prob water pump PTO which caused the head gasket issue
2. I found I was right purchased another supercharger at a good price on this one was from 2005 with good gears
3. So did the head gasket however I replaced and or upgraded the following
A. New type supercharger 2005
B. Head gasket with ARP head bolts torque to ARP directions
C. New water pump
D. New thermostat with Housing, when I removed old housing there was no thermostat
E. Upgrade to 17% pulley, Belt, and colder plugs
F. New Belt tensioner
G. When I was replacing Head used mini timing tool and replaced timing chain guide rails and new chain tensioner
H. Cleaned throttle position sensor (throttle body cleaner)
I. Cleaned intake (throttle body cleaner)
J. New oil
H. New Coolant

Here is where I was

A. Every time Started the engine idle jumps to around 1500 comes down then runs rough
B. getting throttle codes being too high or to low a and a few MAF sensor codes
C. After seeing really rough idles verified all items with MAF and throttle
D. after a series of clearing codes check engine light went out but I still had a rough idle

Here is where I'm at

A. Thinking possible valve issue I pulled valve cover check the timing mark and verified torque on (rockers keepers) sorry don't know what the exact name is / I was a little worried I jump timing as the chain mark on the chain itself I had previously made during the original timing evolution was over like a tooth from the timing tools and sprocket mark. The recent R53 timing question has eased that suspicion a little as it stated the chain will not always line up due to the length of it compared to gears.
B. Pulled plugs found 1 and 2 were fouled and 3/4 were fine
C. Found I installed the fuel tank evap valve on upside down ( this could be the issue, however, I haven't verified my thoughts it could be this as its connected to throttle body) Will check after a compression check
D. Will be verifying head compression once I receive compression tester tomorrow.
E. will be getting some 93 octane fuel as the tank is almost empty and I don't know how old it is

My questions

1. Anything else to accomplish besides plugs, belt, and pulley, when doing the 17% reduction
2. What should my engine compression be so I can verify
3. Any ideas what to check
4. Since I never owned one of these how much pressure comes out of exhaust? mine feels like a bunch

Thanks any help is appreciated

Attached Thumbnails New R53 Owner with questions-img_8480.jpg   New R53 Owner with questions-img_8481.jpg  
Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues section.

Might be as simple as bad gas

Old 03-05-2018, 07:44 AM
boucherjr
1st Gear
Thanks ,I posted in this area because of the 17% pulley addition with hopes someone could provide guidance, again any direction of the possible problem is appreciated.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
What were the codes? You sure the rubber boots are properly seated on both ends of the supercharger?

The following users liked this post:
boucherjr (03-08-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 08:10 AM
boucherjr
1st Gear
Yes I did verifiy, seemed on the out side there was a small leak on bottom, after I fixed that the engine light went away , however I stopped the trouble shooting that area due the rough engine idle ,I was at that point last night when I removed the valve cover to check valve train (my V-8 days I guess) and I then I found the issue of 1 and 2 cylinder fouled plugs. Tonight when I get home going to re-install valve cover , ensure plugs are not fouled ,triple check intercooler boots , new fuel , and then see how it runs. Could be I'm over thinking items or that I was just plain tired

Last edited by boucherjr; 03-05-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:51 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I would start by verifying there are no vacuum leaks as that would be the first thing MAP codes detect and then go from there. Also make sure you are using a real MINI/BMW code reader as they will give you much more info than a generic tool and point you in the right direct easier.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
boucherjr (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 04:49 AM
boucherjr
1st Gear
Thanks for the sound advice, I believe I found the issue, with a little help of some throttle body cleaner found that the intake duct attaching to the supercharger has a vacuum leak ,what I thought was maybe the duct shorten up a little bit due from time and heat also lloks link all the connections are poorly manufactured looks like the plastic was heated up and items connected. I learned that they all look like this from pictures I also learned through my reading and searching on here is that this thing is just a pain and has to be forcably pushed on the supercharger. I do have a question for the two vacuum lines though , map and the brake I couldnt find it for the life of me last night does it matter which port on the duct they are connected to ? Currently MAP (gray) is connected to the port closest to the throttle body.

Thanks for the help

Old 03-08-2018, 04:47 AM
boucherjr
1st Gear
All

Before I put the mini back together can anyone confirm which port MAP sensor goes in and which port the brake vacuum goes in on the plastic intake duct connected to supercharger . I bought the big expensive book and even that doesnt address it.

Thanks again

Old 03-12-2018, 11:04 AM
boucherjr
1st Gear
Its running all is well

Old 03-12-2018, 05:24 PM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
exc job !!!

Congrats on a " STEAL" $ 500.00 !!!!!!!

And welcome !!!

Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 PM
boucherjr
1st Gear
Up next brakes and right front cv axle .

Old 03-13-2018, 04:54 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by boucherjr
Its running all is well
Can you share with us what it ended up being and the process you took to solve it?

Old 03-13-2018, 05:24 AM
boucherjr
1st Gear
Seems the air duct to the supercharger wasn't sealing properly when I tried to put it on it seemed overly difficult. it actually looks like over time it may have shrunk due to heat, so I found another one online, not too expensive and swapped it out with a new gasket, also added some RTV to the inner portion of the duct and to be sure I put another small bead in front a lightly spread it out. After it sat overnight I used the ECU clearing procedures I found online then started it up. I'm new to the R53 stuff messed with my daughters R56 mini base a little. I have come to realize these cars seem very temperamental.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:31 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks for the response. Glad you got it figured out.

It helps future viewers who are looking to find help for their problems (usually in their garages & work spaces).

Trust me, you don't have to tell me about how temperamental R53's are. Unfortunately, I live with it far to often.