R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 04 Cooper Starts but dies instantly

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Cooper Starts but dies instantly

Soooo this morning I go and get some coffee car runs great .. I park it and go to get back into the car and it starts but dies instantly... It ran perfectly before with no issues. The only thing I noticed was a little hesitation when it was super cold but that was only once.

- No Mil Codes (Using OBDTECH Iphone Software)
- It registered a fuel rate change so that means its getting pressure (I think)
- Battery is good

Crazy thing is that I need to get the car to my garage which is around two buildings however its parked on a hill and wont start... Any places to start looking? I saw something about loose ground wires and maybe an ignition switch? I have the other mini I can use parts from to test just in case... UGHHHHHHHHHH

Old 01-17-2016, 11:36 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Well it started... So Im thinking its a bad ignition switch gotta do some more research... Sometimes it turns over and some times it does nothing... Then sometimes it starts now...

Old 01-17-2016, 03:07 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
On a hill...hm...how much fuel in the tank? Folks tend to run cars very low....
The mini has a double saddle desgin..basicly 2 tanks that are connected,..kind-of a kidney shape. and some excess fuel is used to push them from one side to the other...when very low, or the rubber hose in the tank cracks, the car can have issues when below 1/4 tank.....
Often cars with cracked in tank hoses will stall on tight turns or on hills when low on fuel...and might fail to start like yours.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:09 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
On a hill...hm...how much fuel in the tank? Folks tend to run cars very low....
The mini has a double saddle desgin..basicly 2 tanks that are connected,..kind-of a kidney shape. and some excess fuel is used to push them from one side to the other...when very low, or the rubber hose in the tank cracks, the car can have issues when below 1/4 tank.....
Often cars with cracked in tank hoses will stall on tight turns or on hills when low on fuel...and might fail to start like yours.

Full tank

Old 01-17-2016, 03:13 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Oh well...one simple idea..no luck..

Old 01-17-2016, 03:14 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Oh well...one simple idea..no luck..
A very good one tho..

Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Seems like you're on the right path. What did the battery test at? Does it make the clicking noise like it's attempting to start when it wont start? I'd check the connections on the battery to make sure they aren't loose. Make sure they're nice and tight. Also, make sure the terminals are clean so that there is a good connection. Definitely make sure there isn't a loose ground as well. If all checks out then I would definitely check out the ignition switch as a possible culprit.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-the-key.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...g-happens.html

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Originally Posted by MazMini
Well it started... So Im thinking its a bad ignition switch gotta do some more research... Sometimes it turns over and some times it does nothing... Then sometimes it starts now...

Check here : Clutch pedal and starter.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ush-start.html

Then check the ignition switch.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-switch.html

Check you battery and the switch. 61326913965

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-18-2016, 05:03 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Seems like you're on the right path. What did the battery test at? Does it make the clicking noise like it's attempting to start when it wont start? I'd check the connections on the battery to make sure they aren't loose. Make sure they're nice and tight. Also, make sure the terminals are clean so that there is a good connection. Definitely make sure there isn't a loose ground as well. If all checks out then I would definitely check out the ignition switch as a possible culprit.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-the-key.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...g-happens.html

These are all good questions... However it is cold as heck outside (mid 20's) and only got a chance to check a few things... See my answers below...

- What did the battery test at? The app was reading 12v but I will test on Wed when it gets warm with a Volt Tester..
- Does it make the clicking noise like it's attempting to start when it wont start? No it started then stopped a dozen times no clicking noise like a dead battery gives you or a bad starter... Couple times it turned over but didnt start... then it started and has been starting with no issues.
- I'd check the connections on the battery to make sure they aren't loose. Will do once it gets warm.. i will clean up the terminals and check the ground wires... I know of the one on the passenger side... any place else..??

Old 01-18-2016, 05:05 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Check here : Clutch pedal and starter.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ush-start.html

Then check the ignition switch.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-switch.html

Check you battery and the switch. 61326913965

Will do brother... These are all good points to start at...

Old 01-19-2016, 04:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Will do brother... These are all good points to start at...

Thanks , let me know what you find.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-19-2016, 08:13 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
These are all good questions... However it is cold as heck outside (mid 20's) and only got a chance to check a few things... See my answers below...

- What did the battery test at? The app was reading 12v but I will test on Wed when it gets warm with a Volt Tester..
- Does it make the clicking noise like it's attempting to start when it wont start? No it started then stopped a dozen times no clicking noise like a dead battery gives you or a bad starter... Couple times it turned over but didnt start... then it started and has been starting with no issues.
- I'd check the connections on the battery to make sure they aren't loose. Will do once it gets warm.. i will clean up the terminals and check the ground wires... I know of the one on the passenger side... any place else..??
As simple as it sounds, a loose terminal can cause issues like you're describing. So double checking your work will ensure you can rule the simple things out of the equation. Good thread HERE with issues like yours that was a loose terminal. A typical reading would be in the 12.6-volt range when the battery is fully charged. I have seen instances of a bad battery at 12.2 volts. Report back once you test it again. This individual HERE had the same issues and in cold weather as well. His battery tested out fine and as a result ruled it out. He was able to diagnose the ignition switch as the issue as it wasn't sending the voltage to the starter.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-28-2016, 04:45 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
It was a faulty fuel pump that caused this issue if anyone comes across this in the future...

Old 03-28-2016, 01:29 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
It was a faulty fuel pump that caused this issue if anyone comes across this in the future...
Thanks for the update .