R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Power steering recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 02:38 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Power steering recall

Today my dad and I received recall notices from Mini concerning our '02 MC and '03 MCS. According to Mini, the recall "involves the electro-hydraulic power steering system". They say "the electro-hydraulic power steering system may incur a temporary or permanent loss of assistance due to manufacturing and field exposure issues".

Has anyone else received this notice? Mini states the problem may exist in some '02-05 MC and MCS's. Did they redesign the system in '06? They also say they are not ready to conduct the recall and that they will notify us by mail again when they decide to do it.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:07 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
News of the recall surfaced the end of October. Notices have just been mailed out.

The upgraded power steering pump was introduced into production sometime in February 2005.

Another thread on this subject ...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-recall.html

Old 12-12-2015, 03:23 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
News of the recall surfaced the end of October. Notices have just been mailed out.

The upgraded power steering pump was introduced into production sometime in February 2005.

Another thread on this subject ...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-recall.html
So will the recall essentially replace the power steering pump with the Feb. '05+ one?

Old 12-12-2015, 03:31 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
So will the recall essentially replace the power steering pump with the Feb. '05+ one?
One would assume so but the information on the MINI site is not very informative ...

Old 12-12-2015, 03:33 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Yeah that's the same information I received in the letter. My P/S pump is leaking and I do get some choppiness in the morning, hopefully they'll start conducting the recall soon. Seems odd they would send out these letters when they're not even ready to do it yet...

Old 12-12-2015, 04:51 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Hopefully it's something better, because that one is failing too. It failed in my '06 (not covered in this recall) and others have also reported failures with the later version.

Seems odd they would send out these letters when they're not even ready to do it yet...
It's very common for an automotive recall. There is probably a legal requirement to notify customers within a certain time limit, even if the manufacturer needs more time to actually perform the recall.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:54 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Hopefully it's something better, because that one is failing too. It failed in my '06 (not covered in this recall) and others have also reported failures with the later version.

It's very common for an automotive recall. There is probably a legal requirement to notify customers within a certain time limit, even if the manufacturer needs more time to actually perform the recall.
Cool, thanks for the info.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:12 PM
newnhot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This recall is also retroactive if you had your pump replaced by Dealership. I had the PS pump replaced in my '05 MCS in '09 or 2010. I called the dealership and gave then the VIN of my Mini and they cut me a check for the repair. $1200.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:22 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by newnhot
This recall is also retroactive if you had your pump replaced by Dealership. I had the PS pump replaced in my '05 MCS in '09 or 2010. I called the dealership and gave then the VIN of my Mini and they cut me a check for the repair. $1200.
That's pretty nice! I've only had this car a few months though, and my dad has never had his replaced.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 PM
MiniSMan
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
the PSP just recently died on my 06 MCS (Jan 06 Build) ...Bought the car used Feb of this past year .. with only 31,000 miles...Pump crapped out at 41,000 miles ...I hope they extend the recall to the 06 model as well ...paid 300.00 for a remanufactured pump from a Company on Ebay that has a Lifetime Warranty on the part and installed it myself ..a PITA to remove and install (took me 4 hours) but glad i saved money on the Labor doing it myself

Old 12-13-2015, 06:14 AM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Just received my notice this week. Replaced the fan myself and had the pump rebuilt 2 years ago, so curious to see if I will get any money back or if they will replace the working rebuilt unit with a new one or ??

Old 12-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I had to take my Mini in for a failed windshield wiper a few weeks back (not a grounding issue as it turned out), and they mentioned about the recall, and took care of that without charge.

Up until that point, I had no issues with the power steering. The only thing I ever noticed was a very pronounced whine sound whenever you turned the steering wheel. I only ever associated it as a product of the steering mechanism.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:37 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Snaps
I had to take my Mini in for a failed windshield wiper a few weeks back (not a grounding issue as it turned out), and they mentioned about the recall, and took care of that without charge.

Up until that point, I had no issues with the power steering. The only thing I ever noticed was a very pronounced whine sound whenever you turned the steering wheel. I only ever associated it as a product of the steering mechanism.
So they did the recall a few weeks ago? The letter said they weren't prepared to do them yet.

That whine is a product of the power steering being electrically assisted, not hydraulic. The sound is part of what makes a Mini a Mini to me

Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 AM
R53_Devin
1st Gear
I just called them and spoke to a person in the service dept. They are telling me to bring it in and they will look at it. Then said if nothing is failing they won't perform any operation. If its a safety recall shouldn't they replace the items regardless? I have to drive 1.5 hrs just to get to an authorized dealer. I'd be upset if I wasted my time.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:02 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by R53_Devin
I just called them and spoke to a person in the service dept. They are telling me to bring it in and they will look at it. Then said if nothing is failing they won't perform any operation. If its a safety recall shouldn't they replace the items regardless? I have to drive 1.5 hrs just to get to an authorized dealer. I'd be upset if I wasted my time.
I'd hope they'd repair it regardless. Recalls are meant to PREVENT any further problems with some components, so even if they're in working order at the time of inspection, it makes no sense not to install the updated parts anyway to prevent issues in the future.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:30 PM
R53_Devin
1st Gear
I'd hope they'd repair it regardless. Recalls are meant to PREVENT any further problems with some components, so even if they're in working order at the time of inspection, it makes no sense not to install the updated parts anyway to prevent issues in the future.
My thoughts exactly. Either they can fix a possible issue before it begins or I'll be taking it back when/if it does mess up, then they can fix the pump along with the rack and pinion.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:33 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had my pump and fan replaced a week ago. At least some dealers have stock and are prepared to do the work.

FYI, I bought my car in October so I didn't receive a letter from MINI. I learned about the recall on these forums.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:02 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am so glad this is a safety recall. I replaced my psp in July. Drove around for a week with no pump. I was way out of warrenty. With this recall and my invoice for a brand new pump $620, I am going to peruse a refund from mini. I did the install. I don't know how that will affect me but I'm not looking for labor.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:39 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Either they can fix a possible issue before it begins or I'll be taking it back when/if it does mess up, then they can fix the pump along with the rack and pinion.
The recall letter clearly states they will only replace if broken :

The electro-hydraulic power steering system will be inspected by an authorized MINI dealer and components such as the EHPS pump fan and or/wiring will be replaced as deemed necessary and appropriate.

It does state the inspection will be free, so no dealer fees at least

Old 12-15-2015, 04:52 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawnnn

The electro-hydraulic power steering system will be inspected by an authorized MINI dealer and components such as the EHPS pump fan and or/wiring will be replaced as deemed necessary and appropriate.

It does state the inspection will be free, so no dealer fees at least
Mine was intermittent and that is what I told the service adviser. It was working at the time I took my car into the service department. I do not know how they determined mine would get a pump and fan as part of the process.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:08 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, l was hoping it would be a straight recall. From the letter it's up to the dealer if they want to replace it or not. It doesn't make sense, the pump can fail and possibly cause an accident but they wont replace until it fails. Whatever, at least my 02 pump is now covered again

Old 12-15-2015, 02:27 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear

No it says "will be replaced as deemed necessary and appropriate" ... whatever that means

Yeah, l was hoping it would be a straight recall. From the letter it's up to the dealer if they want to replace it or not. It doesn't make sense, the pump can fail and possibly cause an accident but they wont replace until it fails.
I agree

Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 PM
mejerry
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't put too much in the service manager conversation. I called mine and they said there's no recall. So I emailed them my letter and they said, oh yeh, I see that now. I would wait until you receive letter that they're ready, then call again.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:04 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Got my official recall notice, saying call your dealer to schedule asap.
I waited a couple weeks, then called, and they just said to call back
in a few more weeks because they're waiting on parts availability and
not even scheduling anything at this point.

Fortunately, not in a hurry as no glitches with the P/S so far, except for the
clamps/hoses that have been slowly oozing (several ounces per year) for the
past several years.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:34 PM
sevin
6th Gear
I received the 2nd recall notice a couple weeks ago as well. Called the dealership and they do not have parts, they took down my info and will call me back when they get stuff in.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Power steering recall