R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 How to get my r53 road-trip worthy

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 AM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How to get my r53 road-trip worthy

So a few months ago I bought an r53 mini from 05. Ive done a couple things to it including:

15% SC pulley ( + sparks, tensioner stop, etc)
Carbon Fiber Strut bar
Activated Carbon cabin filter
JCW ebrake handle & shift ****
summer wheel and tire setup

but what I am really looking for is to know what fails on all these minis.

I have already purchased all the new fluids but what parts on the vehicle are common failure points and what I should replace it with (oem or genuine). (ex. water pump always goes at 100k miles) stuff like that. Thank you to everyone who responds.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
- Check the passenger side top engine mount for leaks (black goo).
Replace with aftermarket such as Vibra-Technics from Greene Perf or TSW from WMW.
- Check for coolant leaks at the thermostat housing/gasket.
Replace with OEM. WMW has a Fel-Pro gasket.
- Check for coolant leaks at the reservoir tank seam.
Replace with OEM or aluminum tank from RMW.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:02 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
The R53 buyers guide here is a good reference guide to the common issues/failures that occur. Check for any types of leaks, oil and coolant. Check over suspension bushings, engine mounts, tie rods, etc. for any type of wear. It may be good to give the car a good basic service before you head out as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
How many miles on your car? I'd look at the engine mounts, and the lower control arm bushings. You probably did, but I'd check/replace the engine air filter, and probably flush/change the coolant. Also not a bad idea to change the gear box oil.

I drove an 03 all over the country for 150,000 miles with no cell phone, and I was never stranded. The biggest problem I ever had was a flat that I managed to fix with a can of fix a flat.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 PM
cdemarco4
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingguy04
How many miles on your car? I'd look at the engine mounts, and the lower control arm bushings. You probably did, but I'd check/replace the engine air filter, and probably flush/change the coolant. Also not a bad idea to change the gear box oil.

I drove an 03 all over the country for 150,000 miles with no cell phone, and I was never stranded. The biggest problem I ever had was a flat that I managed to fix with a can of fix a flat.
My car has 50k on it. What I already am planning on doing is.....
Air filter
Cooling system refresh (coolant, thermostat+gasket and housing, rad hoses)
Gearbox oil
PS fluid and Reservoir change

The real question. What else....

Old 09-09-2015, 08:39 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I would replace the Crank Pulley, these have been dying like crazy lately as I've been getting cars towed in left and right with them failed. Would hate to deal with it on a trip.
Go with our ATI damper as it is the best and your car will even idle smoother with it. We recently had a customer tell us he got 2mpg better with it.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/super-d...ulley-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
With your car of that vintage, you may have seeping power steering lines and leaky engine gaskets/o-rings. Oil is east to find and top off, but get yourself a can of Pentosin CHF 11s to keep your power steering fluid topped off. That the only steering fluid that works for these cars, and it's sometimes hard to find.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Take an honest look at the car overall...
It is sometimes amazing how often I see a MINI with a glaring issue from 20 feet away when I look...
Things like BELTS sticking out on the inner edge of a tire due to uneven wear....
Or an exaust that is hanging down at an add angle...

Look around...see if anything is suspect...a wet hose, an uneven worn tire, etc...
As miles an age get "up there" more depends on how YOU have kept an eye on things...
Sure...there are common issues...but all too often folks spend big $$$ fix all sorts of crap before it happens just to have the car totaled, stolen, or otherwise loose interest cause it need do many repairs...when they were doing things EARLY...
Not saying don't monitor things....hoses with 10+ years and 100,000 miles are suspect, as is a SC BELT older than 1 or 2 years old with a pulley....
But look...it MIGHT have been done before you hot it...
PS hoses weep before they leak, giving you a chance to "catch" them....radiator hoses can be taken off, and feel the inside and look at the cords on one end to decide if a new $30 part is needed.....car using coolant, then might be a good idea...
No magic to taking a high mile car on a trip...
If it has been a good car around town, should be a good road trip...keep an eye on the fluids...remember that slow once a week leak in that needs a top off in town will be a hourly issues due to miles on a trip (if you have one)......

Old 09-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
...and take an extra quart or two of oil. Check your fluid levels EVERY morning before you depart for the next leg of the trip. Some of us call that a 'pre-flight'. Half way up a mountain on the side of the road is too late to realize you should'a checked the oil or other fluids and added some.