R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 about to hit buy on M2 Header... any reason why not to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
about to hit buy on M2 Header... any reason why not to?

i am about to buy a megan racing header. any reason why not to? been trying to find videos of it, they don't sound bad when matched with a good cat-back. i plan on using an alta cat-back and the closest thing i could find was a video of a OBX header and alta cat-back and it sounded good.

been looking at threads and videos for a long time now, and dont seem to be many bad or good things. just a neutral response its not good but not bad... know what i mean?

my plans for it are to get it ceramic coated to keep some of the heat in. then maybe... maybe wrap it too.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I knew of a person who BOUGHT a M2 (BRAND) exhaust...it sounds good, was cheap..
BUT took a pro mechanic (at the shop they work) a couple of hours on a lift to "persuade" it to fit...not sure if they welded it on a very bad jig or just eyeballed it...not sure if it was just a similar name...
Cheap headers often have very cheap flex joint or poor quality slip joints...I would be cautious.
Before spending the kind of $$ you are looking at, I would start with the best part. It would suck to spend an extra $100-200, just to HAVE it fail....having a better PLAIN header...rmw maybe, might make more sense.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 01-03-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been reading about the Megan headers for a while, and so far I haven't found any problems in the forums. You'll prolly be fine.

Just to let you know, taking the old header off is a *****, and putting the new one in is worse. Yu can do it yourself, I did, but plan on about half a day. Fwiw, I had to put my headers in thru the top of the engine! So, if your doing it yourself, go that way and save the hassle.

Pm me if you want specific install details. Also, a header wrap should work, I did that on mine.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
yea i figured as much....... im gonna take the heat shield off first and take a look at the studs and nuts to see if they are rusted to hell. if they are im not touching it! i do not want to deal with a broken stud on the head. then working the header out.

if they are in decent condition ill take it out. the exhaust system for me is still up in the air. on headers or not and which brand, because i do not want to spend 1000 for headers.

and im still debating on brand for the cat-back lol.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
I just put in a hi flow cat from eBay, then had the exhaust shop cut out everything back to the muffler so it's 2.5 all the way. Cost $150. They put in the o2 sensor and everything, and I have no cels at all. Just do that with Megan headers. It's all just metal man!

I can get a video here soon

Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My buddy had one of the cheaper race cats and about 4 months later the flex part busted open. You may have better luck though.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
I did some looking for a while. Found what looked like a good one, metal spun, 100 cells per sq inch, it opened up to 5" I'm the middle too, vs 4". Cost $110. So it wasn't that cheap, and my headers use that flexing cup joint setup with the spring bolts. No flex pipes in my setup!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
I did some looking for a while. Found what looked like a good one, metal spun, 100 cells per sq inch, it opened up to 5" I'm the middle too, vs 4". Cost $110. So it wasn't that cheap, and my headers use that flexing cup joint setup with the spring bolts. No flex pipes in my setup!
Gotcha just wanted to add what I know, those flex pipes seem to be a weak spot.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
I just put in a hi flow cat from eBay, then had the exhaust shop cut out everything back to the muffler so it's 2.5 all the way. Cost $150. They put in the o2 sensor and everything, and I have no cels at all. Just do that with Megan headers. It's all just metal man!

I can get a video here soon
please do.... also you dont have a muffler? its not to loud? im not for loud i want it to sound good. thats why im so damn picky lol i have been looking at exhausts sense i bought the car.

Originally Posted by bavmotors
Gotcha just wanted to add what I know, those flex pipes seem to be a weak spot.
yea they do i still may go for it just dont know what to get for a cat back. i see way to much negative and positives for a lot of them. but alot of them have gone through a few iterations and seem good now.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:08 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Ive got JCW muffs. Now it's just header to hi flow cat then straight pipe all the way back to the mufflers there. I'm liking the sound more and more each day

Old 01-08-2014, 11:46 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Biggest issue w/ Megan / M2 seems to be low quality flex sections. And, while I know this to be a big subject of contention, but I prefer "ball & socket" type flex sections over low quality braided wire flex sections. FWIW, I found my OBX header to give a nice kick-in-the-pants, and fit & finish were both above acceptable especially considering price.

Also, regarding aftermarket race cats, they typically don't last very long at all. That's not a rule, just an observation.

Last edited by TheBigChill; 01-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.