R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Trip advice/radar detector advice for journey

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:53 PM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip advice/radar detector advice for journey

Hello!

I have an r53 and it doesn't have run flats. I am PCS'ing out of this wasteland in North Dakota to an overseas base and in 28 days (yes I am counting down) I am taking a 1600 miles journey to my home in Phoenix, Arizona. I am concerned about not having a spare, that being said I am thinking about removing my back seat/bench and shipping it and throwing a 17x7 steel rim with tire in the back atop my partial ditty...is this a waste of time? Any tips? Or even a bit of advice? Haven't had the slightest luck on any replies on my recent post..someone please throw me a bone here...Also would a radar detector be a profitable purchase? I tend to speed on long journeys....and also have a habit of not paying tickets since I do believe highway patrols are literally highway robbers in uniform. Anyone second my opinion? Also my Mini has a little bag with a jack and lifter in it? What is the purpose of this if no spare is included? I was contemplating throwing a carpeted sheet of wood back there for a temp RSD (with seats removed)? Even with the seats down there still isn't enough room to put my luggage back there.

Thanks all!

Excuse my rambling for I am in quite the hurry!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:49 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
A radar dector is only one tool...with the advent of instant on and lidar (laser) and or time computers (measureing you carcas you pass a point, and computing speed based on time) a cop who wants to get you can..if they are patient...a CB radio, and a good set of eyes will help if you watch oncoming traffic...
With radar debtors you get EXACTLY what you pay for...atruely USEFULL one is kinda $$$.
As for a spare, a 12v pump, slime, and a plug kit will fix 90% of flats...I use AAA for a tow if i can't.
If your tires are iffy, or you tend to get lots of flats/blowouts due to driving style, then a spare might be a timesaver...but IMO not worth the space lost.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I have the jack too...not useful while you have runflats, but useful when you ditch them to patch/plug a tire!!. I also used it to do winter tire changes till I got a better jack.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Obviously don't have cruise control which covers up a multitude of sins.

Pump, slime and plug kit . Us cabrio pilots don't have a spare by default.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Frisco
2nd Gear
Your road trip.

OK, drop your speed down and never lead.
There is always a leader ready to lead you.
As for the spare, do nothing. I have run flats,
and had one puncture in 50,000 miles. Chill,
the tire will get you to the next service station.
Try to enjoy this trip, you may only see these
vistas once.
Happy motoring in your MINI.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Frisco
OK, drop your speed down and never lead.
There is always a leader ready to lead you.
Happy motoring in your MINI.
I've always thought of the guys passing me as 'bait'.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
I've always thought of the guys passing me as 'bait'.

Just go slightly slower...let them slowly puller further and further ahead...the switch to a new one....and pay attention to the u turn areas in the middle...
And always go nonfaster than the legal speedlimit ofcourse!! We would never want to do anything illegal or unsafe!!
If you still have runflats, no worries...those suckers are good for about 50 miles depending on speed and loading if you want to keep them fixable...about the same as a compact spare!
A 7" wide tire is kinda wide as a sPare...a narrower one would take less space if you want a spare...a just-a-cooPer rim/tire combo is lighter, and narrower...no need to remove the rear seats to ship unless yOu have tons of stuff...remember the rear seat folds down....

Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Thanks everyone! But one thing! I dont have runflats...thats why I am concerned about a spare.

I will definitely pick up some slime and a plug kit! Thank you all for such helpful advice!

And you guys are right about the bait and leader positions I always follow the second or third car unintentionally..

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm not a fan of slime, but definitely have a plug kit (I do like the dynaplug) and a compressor. That should take care of the majority of any issues. I'd be tempted to bring a spare for such a long trip (though I didn't for my last one. Yes, gear is an issue.)
I like my radar detector, but don't know if it would be worth it for a one time trip (unless you get a ticket, of course!)
Have fun!