R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 key fob fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
key fob fix 2006 3 button?

[/IMG]trying to fix none working key, need to know what the immobilzer chip looks like, is this it circled on pic[/IMG]

i already got the used fob and my 1 working fob to open and close doors, it just will not start the car, so i need to swap out the immobilizer chip, just need to know what it looks like? tried holding the old one close to the ignition, no luck

Last edited by miniwheels; 02-06-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
other side 2006 3 button

[/IMG]
the coil on left is magnetic, any thoughts?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The circled component is probably just the transmitter/receiver. The large "chip" on the other side is probably what contains the identifying data relating to the "immobilizer".

BTW, to lock/unlock the car, the key only needs to transmit data to the car. To start the car, the key needs to have a two-way "conversation" with the car so it has to receive data as well as transmit data. Your key might not be receiving data correctly...

Last edited by 911Fan; 02-06-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 AM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
its got to really be small, because its in the plastic key top, just need somone to cut open up, there 06 plastic key thats not working, for a guinea pig! i did find a vender that has the rechargable battery that would be easy to swap out, just wonder what goes bad?

Last edited by miniwheels; 02-06-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:26 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused about what you're trying to do...

It sounds like you have two original keys but only one is working correctly. You got a third key from someone else and are now trying to transplant components from your non-working second key into the third key. Is that the gist of it?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:13 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
The part circled is the boards antenna.

Your original post is a bit jumbled up. Can you clean it up and state the problem with more clarity. Hope we can help. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I think you are saying you want to move the imoblizer chip from a 3rd key you bought to a key you have that will not start your car? I do not think this is possible.

If you can use the buttons (key-less entry) to unlock the door.....then the battery is likely fine....the battery does not even need to be present for the key to start the car (on the 05+ it is recharges inductively when the car is running, thus the advise to rotate unused keys every 6 months).
Do you have the 3rd key that came with the car? The small, black plastic stick key, sized to fit into a wallet that has key groves cut into it....the inmobilizer is molded into the plastic (the entire key is plastic) near the top of the key.
Somebody correct me If I am wrong...
If you just move the imoblizer from one used key to another (from a 2nd car), it will NOT work....the imoblizer in a key is codeded so that only those imoblizers codeed to your car will work. If you move an imbolizer chip from one key to another, sucessfuly, you will then need to have the imoblizer coded to start the car at a dealer or other qualified location that have the correct tools.
The fact you can open the doors with the key-less entry says the electronics and battery is good, so it sounds like the imoblizer chip in the key is bad....I think you just need to order a new key, and have it coded to work with your car.
Now if you are creative, and are willing to destroy the 3rd key...the black plastic molded emergency key...you could put that imoblizer in you current keyfob that does not work...since it is coded to your car!! I don't think it would even have to be soldered or anything, since imoblizer chips are kinda like RFID chips in that they are passive...they must be present, and send the right code when interrogated, but to the best of my knowledge, they are passive.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:58 AM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
thanks, yes it was really late, when i started this project, sorry for the jumbledness, just giving it it shot for a low buck fix. just wondering why people sell old keys and people buy them? it needs to be charged every so often in a running mode, so buying these keys is a waste of money, unless you sacrafice the plastic key? still with 2 chips present it may not start, tried holding the fob next to the ignition did not not start. 1 will not give up till i really screw something up? lol

Last edited by miniwheels; 02-06-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Here is a company that sells the OEM keys, with instructions to Code them to your car.....but you will still need to find a place to cut the groves.
$99.95 uncut. i have not used them.

The charging is just for the key-less entry...if the battery dies from not being charged, the key will work as a normal key...in the door, and it will still start the car fine. If you are having failure to crank...it might be something other than the key.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item4a9e501fac

UNCUT MINI COOPER REMOTE KEY
(3 Button) with FREE Coding Instructions

Description
This listing is for an original 2005-2007 Mini Cooper. The key blade is uncut and can be cut to work on your vehicle This remote is very expensive and cost over $280 at your dealer. The key on this remote can be cut at at your dealer or locksmith.

FREE Remote Coding
We will provide the remote coding procedure free with this purchase. The procedure will enable you to code the remote to your vehicle (lock, unlock, trunk). The immobilizer chip will have to be paired with your vehicle by your dealer or a locksmith. Most vehicle warranties cover remote programming/reprogramming.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 02-06-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added details
Old 02-06-2010, 10:48 AM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
old key does manually open the door and start fine, thanks for the website, cutting a new key is not the big problem, its the immbolizer chip that i need to identify

Last edited by miniwheels; 02-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniwheels
old key does manually open the door and start fine, thanks for the website, need locksmith that can cut it in nj area.
I don't think that should be too hard....most BMW/MINI dealer can, many VW dealers and I think some fords also have a similar key...(I've driven a Jag-formally a ford ), but the key-style is becoming pretty popular. They just use a machine that acts like a Metal working router to cut them....one guy I worked with told me when he was working as a valet, the locked the keys of a BMW in the car.
They called a Mobile locksmith that came, and was able to remove the tumbler from the trunk with no damage, then took it apart, and used the parts to make a template of sorts to cut a new key, right there in the parking lot!! It was of course not coded to start the car, but it did allow them to open the door, and then the trunk was reassembled, and the owner was never the wiser.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
the only problem is the immobilizer chip. need to identify that.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
The part circled is the boards antenna...

Some locksmiths have tools to pair with cars...some only do certain makes and models...just ask,you might get lucky. Some thing you will find you just have to go to the dealer for....they can code a new key immobilizer so they work together!!
I have heard when this is done, ALL KEYS must be present, as any keys not re-coded will no longer work.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Zippy that link for the uncut key will only work for 05-06 keys. The 02-04 keys have a 36 digit code that has to be manually programmed into the BC1 in the car. So there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to progam the 02-04 key to the car for the remote or the EWS without a Dealer computer.

People on ebay don't care if you get it working or not, they are just trying to make a buck.

Sorry miniwheels, I suggest giving up on this I don't think your going to get it to work. Buy a new key and save the hassle.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Zippy that link for the uncut key will only work for 05-06 keys. The 02-04 keys have a 36 digit code that has to be manually programmed into the BC1 in the car. So there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to progam the 02-04 key to the car for the remote or the EWS without a Dealer computer.

People on ebay don't care if you get it working or not, they are just trying to make a buck.

Sorry miniwheels, I suggest giving up on this I don't think your going to get it to work. Buy a new key and save the hassle.
Way, his car IS an '06!! "2006 Mini S Checkmate Auto".....The link if for an 05-06 key. Not sure what he has in his pictures....I just know his car is an 06!!
is the picture from the USED key fob he bought? That might be the issue!!

Yeah...I know what you are saying about E-bay....but it is an option for some....with some significant risk...it looks like the used fob is from an earlier car? Good catch WAY!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 02-06-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: 2006 Mini S Checkmate Auto quote added!!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
the picture is my original 06 key opened up, i found a vender for the original lithium rechargeable battery will try that next, also the ebay key is the same inside, i have both fobs programed (ebay one and my original working one) i

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans ... bombing Pearl Harbor "Come on, who's with me!?"

all i need to know is what the stink'in immobilizer "chip" looks like,lol
it is not in the lid because it will start with just the board and key blade,
can't be that big, also needs no power, the one picture of a opened plastic key i did find was for a 2004 and down which is not the same

Last edited by miniwheels; 02-08-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:29 PM
joelunchbox
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any luck?

Have a question, does the remote really recharge from the vehicle? How does it do it? I only see one piece of metal sticking out....
and, is it possible to replace the battery?
thanks much
j rumage

Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The remote on the 05+ gen1 mini is inductively charged...just like those electric razors from panosonic....no metal to metal contact, just very close proximity.
Do a search..it has been discussed before at length.earlirler cars required a periodic battery replacement...heck if yOu read further up in this thread, this same info that answered you question was here.
I

Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Battery on the 05+ keys is not considered to be replaceable...but it is still possible...takes some legwork and a bit of risk, but it has been done, there are a few threads...the battery will someday fail, and replacents can be found. First try a long drive, then try to reprogram your key...it might still work!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:35 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The chip on an early key (02-?) is a small rectangle thing that is in the plastic case. I realize that your key is different, but you might take a closer look at the case and see if there is a small black rectangle that looks like it could come out. That would be the chip (not part of a circuit board) and I discovered that it needs to be in the key to work, not just held in proximity to the ignition switch. I will try to post a how to on the early keys this week- it may or may not help you. If you could try to take some clearer pictures of your key parts we might be able to identify the parts.

Val

Old 12-11-2010, 11:48 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The immobilizer chip is attached to plastic cover of the key. Pics in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...for-cheap.html

Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Not exactly...he popped it off the old key....it was wrapped in the coil that picked up the inductive charge to recharge the battery...the writer popped it off, and glued it to the new key...