R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 To MCS or not to MCS....

Old 09-05-2003, 07:50 PM
jason.mullins
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After seeing the Mini in Japan I knew it was the car for me. I have a few questions that maybe you all can help me with. I still can not decide if the MCS is worth the money. First I thought the insurance would be a deterrent, but it will only go up $200 a year which is not bad. Then I thought the premium gas the MCS requires would add up the cost, but then I saw that the MC also requires it. Now the only difference is the $3k price difference. Over 60 months that is not really much. For those MC owners, when you are cruzing down the expressway at 65 mph and you have the AC on do you have any power? From what I remember a 4 banger with the AC on is like an elephant in the mud. There is just no power. I am sure with the MCS you can just punch it and go. Also MC owners, did you go with the sport suspension for the extra $500? Does it really make a difference? I think I have also settled on the 16' rims. From everything I have see the 17' are too harsh. I am not into those super low cars that bounce on every pebble. When are the 2004 Mini's coming out? I would love to get some feedback on the latest model. I hope that a lot of the bugs have been worked out. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Jason

Old 09-05-2003, 07:59 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
Welcome to MCO Jason. All of your questions are good ones for sure, but you can find all the answers here at MCO.

Use the search function. Probably most or all of your questions have been asked by others as well.

I have a 03 MCS and let me tell ya, it's worth the money. This is one fun car. :smile:

Old 09-05-2003, 08:05 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: :smile:

Welcome to MCO, Jason!

Do you have a MINI brochure yet? Pick one up and study the differences between the Cooper and the Cooper S. I have owned both and much prefer my MCS. I would recommend that if you do go with the Cooper, that you order the sport suspension...it is awesome. Also, I have the 16-inch v-spokes...got everything in the Sport package except for the 17s because of that harsh ride, and believe it or not, my S is a smoother ride than my Cooper was with the 15-inch holeys!

Learn how to use the search function and visit all the forums here. There is a wealth of information and knowledge to glean and lots of great friends to make! Enjoy the process!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 09-05-2003, 08:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
If you order now you will be getting a 2004 since sept is the start of the 2004 model year. Anything in my dealership ordered should arrive in Nov.

The MC and MCS are similar and power is more in the MCS. Wheels are less grippy and less heavy in the MC. Handling is good in either up to a point. If you really want to take corners hard then the sporty suspension on the MCS is better. If you are going to change out all of the suspension anyway with aftermarket parts like springs or shocks, swaybars front and rear and control arms then it doesn't pay to get any factory upgrades.

First you should test drive the MC in 5 speed and CVT and the MCS and see what you think. Then come back and let us know how it went. I will be the first to admit that I did not test drive the MINI enough before I bought my MCS. Later on I spent a day testing a CVT and it was very very good. I could have bought that but with the CVT costing $1250 then it is only $1750 difference from an MCS.

I think the bottom line is that all of the models are quite good for the average person. Each car can be modified enough to suit most people. Cosmetically they are all very close- some like the MC better. Power goes to the MCS and so do the range of upgrades for performance- you can easily get up to 220 HP if you dare.
The MC is more limited in upgrades at this time. But if you go for an intake, plugs, ECU, header and exhaust it will give you +21 to 24 HP more. So maybe up to about 140 HP which is good for a lighter weight car.

Based on what you posted I would say a good match for you would be a stock MCS with no sport package so you can keep the 16" wheels.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:23 PM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
:smile: :smile: :smile: Good luck on the decisions you have to make! It's a fun journey you're beginning! :smile:

Old 09-05-2003, 08:24 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you make your MCS/MC decision from this forum you'll probably wind up wondering why MINI even bothers to make anything except the MCS. I ordered an MC but it won't be here for a couple of more weeks so I can't tell you how well I like it. But in general most everyone wants an MCS and some of the MC owners can't wait to upgrade. I guess the only reason for getting an MC would be if you wanted the CVT. However, I feel sure I'll be happy with my MC. Of course now that I'm 60, 0 to 60 doesn't seeem as important and when it is I'll use my 69 Chevelle. :smile:

Old 09-05-2003, 08:52 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
If I were you, I'd approach it this way:

If you like power, and enjoy racing around; go directly to the MCS. You can't pay enough money to make a MC as quick as the MCS is (right out of the box). AND, if you TRIED to make the Cooper quicker you'd rapidly exceed the difference in price between the two (and still only have 5 speeds... until 2004, when BOTH cars will have 6 speeds).

IF, however, you are the type of person that enjoys the journey... find yourself NOT driving exclusively in the fast lane... or purchase a car without FIRST seeing what the HP rating is; you'll probably never MISS the difference in performance compared to an MCS. They BOTH handle well, and have many features in common (the hood may even be MORE aesthetically pleasing).

Just remember: if you find yourself checking the Cooper box for the "performance" suspension, and the 17" wheels, and a new exhaust system... well, you might want to reconsider that initial $3000 savings!

Good Luck!

Old 09-05-2003, 09:56 PM
red03miniS
Banned

>>
>>IF, however, you are the type of person that enjoys the journey... find yourself NOT driving exclusively in the fast lane... or purchase a car without FIRST seeing what the HP rating is; you'll probably never MISS the difference in performance compared to an MCS. They BOTH handle well, and have many features in common (the hood may even be MORE aesthetically pleasing).
>>
>>

i disagree..there a lot of people who drive like a "grandma" and still have the mcs, they think its top of the line, and as americans we like excess

secondly, my opinion, get the cooper

Old 09-06-2003, 03:45 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, ther are soooo many considerations as to MC vs. MCS. Do you like the look of the bonnet scoop? Does it bother you to pay the extra for the S? Those two were my main questions... I chose MCS. Oh, and WELCOME!

Old 09-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Pebbles
6th Gear
If you order today, you'll get a 04. So I suggest test driving both. For me it was a choice in what I wanted to see each morning in my garage. I liked the look of the scoop in the hood. Others don't like that look. My Mom loves the look of the MC because she thinks the hood without the scoop makes the car look smaller... and she thinks a MINI should be the smallest looking car you can get.

It's been said Men want a MINI for performance and Women want a MINI because of it's appearance. It has curb appeal!

In the Italian Job movie 2 are MCs and only the Red one is MCS. When they are all driving around, could anyone tell? well NO! same as on the road! When I see a MINI, I can't tell as it flys past me if it was a MC or MCS. I just admire the MINI as it goes blasting by! Only if I see on sitting at the grocery store, can I look to see if it has the scoop or not.

The difference between MC or MCS is only for the owner and what they want.
That's YOU!

Old 09-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Cat
4th Gear
I regret not test driving both cars with and without the sports tires. Since I was choosing the Mini over a much more expensive car - the G35 - the price difference between the MC and MCS didn't bother me at all. The HP was my biggest concern, so the only other decisions were the tough color and options choices, which are bad enough! I sat in several MCS's to check out the various packages and thought what the heck, go for the gusto! Life is short!

So at the very least be a total pain at your local dealerships and try them all out!

Old 09-06-2003, 11:43 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Test drive, test drive and test drive again!

You will be putting a lot of money in this car, so you need to be comfortable with your decision. Sure, looks are important, but so is handling, power, comfort, and damage to the wallet. Other matters are whether you ever plan on Auto-X or track days, or on modifying the car. Many considerations. QUality of roads where you live.

For me, considerations were the color (I fell in love with the EB and HAD to have it), and the fact that I really, really like the six speed tranny (which is currently being worked on at the dealer with a possible defective throwout bearing