R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Has anyone painted a new Mini an "old" color (Silk Green???)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:59 AM
CaliMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided the color I really want is . . . Silk Green, which is extinct. I've contemplated trying to buy one used. I suspect that's not such a realistic idea since (a) there aren't many Silk Greens out there; and (b) even fewer would have the options I want (okay, I'm somewhat flexible but I do want a CVT); and (c) still fewer would be near where I live (Los Angeles). Finally, I understand that many of the reliability issues have improved. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to get a 2004 build. The 2004, of course, would have to be some color other than Silk Green.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a brand new Mini and painting it Silk Green or an extremely close approximation. I notice that the Mini2 site lists paint codes. It says that Silk Green is PPG 403201 or Dupont F5253. This makes it sound like it's a simple matter to order Silk Green paint. Does anyone know if this is true? If I did this, I'd want to do it right. I assume it's going to run more than your basic Earl Scheib job. Does anyone have an idea how much a decent job would cost? How tricky are these metallic colors to apply? (I know, MiniUSA says $400 trickier.)

What color would be the easiest to repaint? Pepper White? Or Pure Silver (which is already metallic; of course it therefore costs $400 more)? As a further complication, I might like a white roof, which you can't get in Pepper White or Pure Silver (you can get a Pepper White roof with Pepper White).

While I like Silk Green (obviously) I am not beyond all reason on this. If I am asking for grief with this crazy scheme, please let me know. Finally, not to step on anyone's toes: Would I be disrespecting the "true" 2002-2003 Silk Green owners by painting a 2004 model this color? I certainly don't mean to; I just think it's a great color!

Old 09-04-2003, 12:31 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too think Silk Green is a beautiful color. The first time I visited the MINIUSA site I decided I wanted Silk Green. I ordered Chili Red/W because Silk Green was no longer available when I ordered. I've wondered since then if I should have had a national search done by the dealer for a leftover Silk Green one somewhere. To late now.

I see no problem with having it painted Silk Green if you can get it done right and are willing to pay the thousands it will cost. If you know where you are going to have it painted I would ask them what the preferred color to paint over would be.

I think MINI made a big mistake in dropping this color and Velvet Red.

My guess on getting it painted would be $3500-$4500.

I wouldn't completely discount the idea of a used Silk Green one, even a CVT.
Good luck.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:56 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Before you repaint a MINI, at least spend some time looking for the Silk Green CVT that you want. You may get lucky, and shipping from anywhere in the continental USA should still be significantly cheaper than a respray.

Old 09-04-2003, 01:09 PM
daniel1
3rd Gear

I have a SG MC and I constantly get compliements by people, even MC & MCS owners. If you can find one, go for it!

Old 09-04-2003, 01:12 PM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
check this out, it has CVT
Silk green MINI
I don't know if its close to you though.

Old 09-04-2003, 01:12 PM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
Someone in Arlington VA bought a brand new Mini last year, and instantly repainted a dark gold (not the Mini gold). He's apparently a brewer, and the color was beer-gold. Very cool, and looked original. It can be done.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
Haha, 3500-4500. No way. My friend is a ricer and he has a show car civic that he got professionally painted at a body shop for 1000, they sprayed everything, short of taking out the interior. So every little bit you see on the car that's supposed to be painted was that color, even the engine bay. So I think 1k sounds right, especially when all Mr Scheib does for 300 is spray over the old color. I think for 1k they would remove the old paint (?), spray the necessary amount of coats, and then clear coat it. Thats what I think, but if you want a real opinion you should call one of the dealership approved places tell them what you want and see how much they want. 3500-4500 sounds way out there.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:47 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
$3-$4K is probably the going price for a "proper" paint job on a new car. One that will nopt look like a re-paint and will last you at least 6-8 years care free.

Yes you can get your car painted for 300-1000 but it will be an obvious re-paint. I don't care who does it, you will not get the look of a new car afterwards.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:12 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
It's very expensive to do a proper color change on a car. The underhood area, jams and the exterior all need to be prepped, sealed and both basecoat and clear coated. Materials alone would run over $500 with the labor a much greater part of the overall cost. A lot of disassembly needs to be done to hide the fact the color has been changed and even then an experenced person could still tell. If you were to want to sell it later the buyer would be able to tell the car was repainted and might think it had been in an accident. It would be much better to find a car with the color you want. Good luck!
Dan

Old 09-04-2003, 04:13 PM
resmini
6th Gear
>Haha, 3500-4500. No way<

Wanna bet? Any paint job that would change colors on a new car and look original is going to cost at least $3000. You'd be lucky to get a decent job for $1000 if you removed all the trim and did all the prep work yourself. If you say ricer boy got a great paint job for $1000 I believe you, but try taking a car to a "dealer approved" paint shop and asking for a color change repaint. The charge will be so high your eyes will water and you'll be muttering to yourself when you leave....try it.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Russiaville
2nd Gear
Boy, too bad you didn't see my ad on Roadfly two weeks ago. I listed
my Silk Green with white top Mini with CVT and only 12K miles. It
was perfect. The only response I got was from out of the country and
I didn't feel comfortable trying to make that deal work. But I called
my dealer to ask for their help and they ended up buying it from me
for almost my asking price. I think now I sold it too cheap ($16,500).
I didn't know so many people might be looking for Silk Green. I have
ordered a PW/PW Mini that should be in in October. I don't like the
color as much as the SG but I think it will still be very sharp.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:55 PM
red03miniS
Banned
russiaville--if u dont like the PW as much, why did u sell ur SG mc?

bk_mcs..since ur friend is a "ricer", well i have been in the honda world many years..and have done the car show circuit..and have many friends in autobots (premier import car club in los angeles..they pretty much dominate at HIN all the time)..sure paint can be done for 1K..and look real good..but that paint has no longevity

calimini--look around..there are used silk greens. however if u really want a 04, consider to spend 4-5K for a good quality paint job :smile:

good luck

Old 09-05-2003, 06:08 AM
CaliMini
Neutral
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. It sounds like a really durable, top-of-line paint job is going to run $4000 or more (yikes -- 20 percent of the cost of the whole car!) As much as I like Silk Green, that's probably more than I'd be willing to spring just for paint. So my sense is that I ought to more thought to other colors and/or to buying used.

This is the first time I've used the web for researching a car purchase, and it's been invaluable. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
Wow, I guess I was wrong, I see what you guys mean though and how it could come to such a price.

That sounds like more than I 'd be willing to pay, unless I was rich, then I'd have a moded s and a stock on too.

Old 09-05-2003, 10:24 AM
MandyinMD
3rd Gear
Don't give up. Try to look for one for sale. I have silk green CVT and LOVE it. I get compliments constantly. Love it!!

Old 09-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Needler
4th Gear
Cali, you have INCREDIBLY FINE TASTE!!

Yes, if you find a SG MC, you won't regret it. I am constantly told how beautiful my SG MC is; people usually first ask about the color. It is a different yet beautiful rendition of green.

I'd sell you mine, but you'd have to peel the keys from my cold, dead fingers.

Old 09-06-2003, 01:34 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
CaliMini - My opinion is that if you repainted a new '04 with the color Silk Green, in order to be really satisfied with the repaint, you would have to:
1) find a first rate paint & body shop.
2) remove (not mask) all trims, glass, ext. lights, molding, etc.
3) repaint all jambs, sills & engine bay.
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 09-06-2003, 03:03 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
Here's kbseto's '03 SG/B MC.....

Try to PM him and see the status of his MINI. It is also posted in the Marketplace forum.
IMO, a good, quality paint job is above $5K. It might be cost affective if you found a used Silk Green MC.

Good Luck!!!

Old 09-06-2003, 01:01 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
yup, that's me. and i still got it for sale. an ad should be coming out in tomorrow's honolulu advertiser. currently asking $20k. ~6500 miles. bought in 03/03. have been driving around with a 4sale sign for a few days and got a few inquiries, including the one from a customer when i drove up into the dealer to check on my incoming mcs.

features are pretty much all listed in the marketplace thread i got. i'm pretty firm on the sale $$$ as i invested/paid $24k total. and i got all the receipts as well.

thanks guys.

btw, i'm almost sure on brg/w and getting the jcw+ kit with white wheels. kinda starting to consider ib/w cause i already got a emerald black p/u. and i'm driving a rental outback with a close-matching version of ib up here in seattle. i hope the brg guys don't get upset with my infidelity if i do go ib/w.