Navigation & Audio Apple CarPlay for 2011-2016 Countryman (R60) with factory nav screen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Sir Lancelot
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apple CarPlay for 2011-2016 Countryman (R60) with factory nav screen.

I recently got a Joyeauto wireless Apple CarPlay box and it works fantastic. I’ve had it about 2 days now. https://www.joyeauto.com/bmw-cic-1-3-5-6-7-x1-x3-x5-x6-mini-08-13my-wifi-wireless-apple-carplay-solution/

here is a good reference video for disassembly

do not buy the one in this video it is not the one I got. Video only for reference.

the worst part was unbolting the two bolts that hold in the passenger knee airbag (which holds in the glove box) they were very awkward to get to also the car in the video doesn’t have an airbag there.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. The Joyeauto tec support was super helpful once I convinced them I had the CIC system. I ordered it from AliExpress and it got from Hong Kong to Detroit in two days all for about $400.

Success!!! Steering wheel controls also work!!! And you control the screen with the joystick!

Running some wires. I wish I had taken a photo after I had finished

Unboxing

We have LVDS 4 pin ports which means this is the CIC system

Last edited by Sir Lancelot; 01-03-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:25 PM
cm.d
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you know if you have cic or nbt?

Old 05-21-2020, 07:23 PM
Sir Lancelot
1st Gear
as far as I know all 2011-2016 countryman are CIC. NBT is 2017+

Old 05-21-2020, 07:45 PM
cm.d
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sir Lancelot
as far as I know all 2011-2016 countryman are CIC. NBT is 2017+
Sweet! Thanks!

Old 05-23-2020, 04:00 PM
navwizard
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The Joyeauto tec support was super helpful once I convinced them I had the CIC system.
That's curious. My Countryman (and I thought all the R60s?) has the CHAMP2 unit rather than the CIC unit?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_2237

You don't happen to have a picture of the sticker on your head unit do you? I'm curious what part number it is.

Thanks!

Dan

Old 06-02-2020, 06:09 PM
cm.d
2nd Gear
If you have a CHAMP2 unit, you need to order CIC. I just installed one.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:12 PM
navwizard
2nd Gear
Awesome, thanks!

The Champ2 is basically a bit of a stripped down CIC, so good to know it works.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:47 AM
Lee Reed
Neutral
What is your ongoing review of this unit? I have a 2013 Countryman S with factory nav and would love CarPlay. Would you recommend, and have you had nay or many troubles from the unit?

Old 07-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Sir Lancelot
1st Gear
I have been super happy with it no problems except the microphone just recently stopped working. I’m thinking that it may have come loose from bumps other than that no issues.
Originally Posted by Lee Reed
What is your ongoing review of this unit? I have a 2013 Countryman S with factory nav and would love CarPlay. Would you recommend, and have you had nay or many troubles from the unit?

Old 08-29-2020, 10:35 PM
Mark Gallo
2nd Gear
Just installed this yesterday in my 2012 Countryman S along with a Rockford Fosgate P300-12 powered sub to add some bass to the HK system. Rear view camera is on it's way from China so I'll be adding that when it arrives (already ran the cables). These MINIs are a b**** to take apart!!! It was a real challenge getting all the dash pieces out (my hands have the cuts and scrapes to prove it) but I'm loving the upgrades so far. The stock "infotainment system really leaves a lot to be desired.

The following users liked this post:
Sir Lancelot (08-30-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 04:13 AM
MiniMrsH
Neutral
I’ve just had this fitted to my Countryman SD 2016 on Friday and I love it. I’m interested in hearing how your steering wheel controls work? At the moment my skip buttons seems to work the opposite way round. I’ve spoken to the installer and they say the spec doesn’t allow for ANY steering wheel controls although I suspect it does and there is probably a wire plugged in the wrong way round.

can you help please?

I recently got a Joyeauto wireless Apple CarPlay box and it works fantastic. I’ve had it about 2 days now. https://www.joyeauto.com/bmw-cic-1-3-5-6-7-x1-x3-x5-x6-mini-08-13my-wifi-wireless-apple-carplay-solution/

do not buy the one in this video it is not the one I got. Video only for reference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dUgjtaDlq-M

the worst part was unbolting the two bolts that hold in the passenger knee airbag (which holds in the glove box) they were very awkward to get to also the car in the video doesn’t have an airbag there.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. The Joyeauto tec support was super helpful once I convinced them I had the CIC system. I ordered it from AliExpress and it got from Hong Kong to Detroit in two days all for about $400.

Success!!! Steering wheel controls also work!!! And you control the screen with the joystick!

Running some wires. I wish I had taken a photo after I had finished

Unboxing

We have LVDS 4 pin ports which means this is the CIC system

Old 12-13-2020, 07:20 AM
Sir Lancelot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMrsH
I’ve just had this fitted to my Countryman SD 2016 on Friday and I love it. I’m interested in hearing how your steering wheel controls work? At the moment my skip buttons seems to work the opposite way round. I’ve spoken to the installer and they say the spec doesn’t allow for ANY steering wheel controls although I suspect it does and there is probably a wire plugged in the wrong way round.

can you help please?
my steering wheel control also functions this way I actually kinda like it better that way because it’s closer to the edge of the steering wheel. It took me a few weeks to get use to it I never explored changing it because I didn’t really care. Just out of curiosity did you replace your speakers too or just add CarPlay? The only issue I’ve had is the microphone stopped working the wire had come loose from the actual microphone under the foam cover so I re soldered it. I tucked the microphone under where the hazard button is. If you have any other questions let me know.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Its Brittany B!tshh
1st Gear
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Installation video

I installed an android unit in my countryman the other day and made a quick step by step video of how to disassemble the dash, swapping out the radio to putting it back together.

The following 2 users liked this post by Its Brittany B!tshh:
bratling (04-29-2021), theskotsour (03-26-2022)
Old 05-21-2021, 09:06 PM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
So I have it installed and all I get is a Red screen...Any ideas? I do not think it is powering on.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:29 PM
navwizard
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dharvey1221
So I have it installed and all I get is a Red screen...Any ideas? I do not think it is powering on.
There is a power light on it, you should see it come on.

To check, you connected it on the back of the deck, not the back of the screen right?
Also, it's not possible to connect it backwards on the back of the deck, but is possible on the unit itself, so check your ins and outs.

If it weren't powering on, it should just show the oem screen, not red.
Also, you can hear it "click" when it boots and kicks the screen in.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:52 PM
Sir Lancelot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dharvey1221
It’s probably one of the dip switch settings on the box it’s been so long I don’t remember what is the right way but I had a red screen when the switches were set wrong. Could also be a cable plugged in the wrong unit double check that all the cables are routed correctly.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:53 PM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
Yeah no lights. Dips on the back set to 234.

LVDS IN goes to the head unit.
LVDS OUT Ext goes to the cable that goes to the display.

That was ***** to take apart ...

Old 05-21-2021, 10:23 PM
Sir Lancelot
1st Gear
Do you have more photos? And did you get the joystick hooked up? I think you have the power cable hooked up wrong. The red screen is because the screen is getting no signal. The original cable gets the extension added and then a new cable runs from the factory head to the box and the extension plugs into that box as well. I believe the power cable gets routed to the joystick

Old 05-21-2021, 10:43 PM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
Got it. Dumb A**. I read the instructions on the idrive cable and it said only use one. I just assumed it was overriding the controls. Wasn't even paying attention that i need to plug that cable into the idrive cable Plugged in and blue light appeared. Now I need to put this puzzle back together. Thanks for the walk through.

Its Brittany B!tshh (05-22-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 09:44 AM
Julespalooza
Neutral

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dUgjtaDlq-M

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. The Joyeauto tec support was super helpful once I convinced them I had the CIC system.
Thank you for sharing all this info! Quick question: the link to the Joyeauto product above notes that it’s for 08-12 model years. Is that the correct one? Thanks again!

Old 07-17-2021, 05:49 PM
navwizard
2nd Gear
So.....a little trick on these...
JoyAuto, Bimmertech, Andream, Carlinkit....are all the same unit. Just the firmware is different.

There are slight differences, for instance JoyAuto uses an external mic, Andream uses the oem mic, but they are similar.

The Bimmertech interface is nice, but very expensive. Usually Andream is the cheapest.

Andream

Dan

Sir Lancelot (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 05:59 PM
Sir Lancelot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Julespalooza
Thank you for sharing all this info! Quick question: the link to the Joyeauto product above notes that it’s for 08-12 model years. Is that the correct one? Thanks again!
Yes that is correct. The unit is still work great absolutely best upgrade I’ve done. There are other companies now that make the same thing when I got mine Joyeauto was the only one that made one with wireless CarPlay.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:59 PM
MReiland
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Any suggestions on a compatible rear camera with the upgrade?

Old 10-23-2021, 08:03 PM
navwizard
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MReiland
Basically any backup camera will work. It's your basic RCA video connection, and with "most" of these units, reverse is selected via CANbus, so you don't even have to find a reverse light.

Personally I picked one that screws into the bumper, but that's personal preference.

Dan

Old 10-23-2021, 09:40 PM
Sir Lancelot
1st Gear
Personally I didn’t install a camera I have the backup sensors thought they might not play well together also I prefer to reverse looking over the shoulder and with mirrors anyway.
Originally Posted by MReiland

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Apple CarPlay for 2011-2016 Countryman (R60) with factory nav screen.