Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
sranderle
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio kit.

I tried restarting it several time. Didn't help.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
What type of kit are you using, a trunk interface or radio interface?

Tom,

Ive had this problem on occasion as well. I'm using the trunk interface unit. It usually only happens after I remove the iPod from the car and then reconnect it later. It happened this morning for instance. It was working yesterday when I drove home. This morning, I went out to the car and disconnected the iPod so I could download a podcast to it. I did not turn the car on between the time I disconnected the iPod and then re-connected it. When I started the car, the HU did not recognize the DICE (the mode would not change to CD Changer) although everything else seemed to work including my blitzsafe adapter and XM receiver. I turned the car off, disconnected the cable from the trunk interface at the DICE, reconnected and re-started the car and everything works again. This happens randomly about once every three or four weeks.

Any ideas?

(2006 MCS convertible with HK sstem, Latest drivers in 5G iPod)

Thanks,

Phil

Old 02-07-2007, 11:31 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by sranderle
radio kit.

I tried restarting it several time. Didn't help.
Recheck your connects to make sure a pin is not pushed out or the module is plugged in firmly. If the module needs to be replaced under warranty, we can handle that for you.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by pjschaffer
Tom,

Ive had this problem on occasion as well. I'm using the trunk interface unit. It usually only happens after I remove the iPod from the car and then reconnect it later. It happened this morning for instance. It was working yesterday when I drove home. This morning, I went out to the car and disconnected the iPod so I could download a podcast to it. I did not turn the car on between the time I disconnected the iPod and then re-connected it. When I started the car, the HU did not recognize the DICE (the mode would not change to CD Changer) although everything else seemed to work including my blitzsafe adapter and XM receiver. I turned the car off, disconnected the cable from the trunk interface at the DICE, reconnected and re-started the car and everything works again. This happens randomly about once every three or four weeks.

Any ideas?

(2006 MCS convertible with HK sstem, Latest drivers in 5G iPod)

Thanks,

Phil
This can be a tough one to diagnose since you have XM in the mix and the issue happens intermittently. I would have to recommend keeping only one of the devices installed when troubleshooting to see which is causing the problem - the XM or the DICE.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
sranderle
3rd Gear
Recheck your connects to make sure a pin is not pushed out or the module is plugged in firmly. If the module needs to be replaced under warranty, we can handle that for you.
You're just talking about the Dice module, right? I would expect that the connection to the HU would be fine.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by sranderle
You're just talking about the Dice module, right? I would expect that the connection to the HU would be fine.
Yes, I'm referring to the DICE module, and the docking cable connecting to it.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
sranderle
3rd Gear
After work, I connected my ipod as usual. Everything worked fine. I'll double check the connections when I get a chance.

Wierd behavior.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:07 AM
uncle
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Text on my '06 HU....

Tom,

I have just installed the Dice for iPod with the radio cable and it seems to work but I can't figure out how to get text on the HU. I select disc 6 and track 01 - but I get nothing (or no text anyway) - Am I missing some incantation here? '06 Mini, standard radio, no satellite radio or navigation.

Any advice?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by uncle
Tom,

I have just installed the Dice for iPod with the radio cable and it seems to work but I can't figure out how to get text on the HU. I select disc 6 and track 01 - but I get nothing (or no text anyway) - Am I missing some incantation here? Standard radio, no satellite radio or navigation.

Any advice?
What year is your MINI? I will need the production date from the door.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Rockin'Rick
1st Gear
Tom,

Not to beat a dead horse.... I have an '03 MINI with an HK stereo and Nav. Is the older nav (cd based) better or worse as far as displaying the text on the head unit?

I too am waiting in the wings for a fix on the nav, just wondering if this generation is any different? My iPod has video and the fam likes watching the screen by holding the iPod in their hand... a video solution or idea would be welcomed.

When the JCW R56 is available, I'll probaly order one with nav again. I wonder what the future navagation system, iPod and DICE have in store for us?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Rockin'Rick
Tom,

Not to beat a dead horse.... I have an '03 MINI with an HK stereo and Nav. Is the older nav (cd based) better or worse as far as displaying the text on the head unit?
We have not had a MINI w/ NAV available for testing - if there is anyone in the Orange County area that would like to participate, contact me directly and we can get to the bottom of this.

Originally Posted by Rockin'Rick
I too am waiting in the wings for a fix on the nav, just wondering if this generation is any different? My iPod has video and the fam likes watching the screen by holding the iPod in their hand... a video solution or idea would be welcomed.
We have this available for the MINI already:

Dietz Video Multimedia Interface - 1265
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=338

This will allow for an A/V signal to appear on your stock NAV screen, like the iPod video. Installation is Plug and Play.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
uncle
1st Gear
What year is your MINI? I will need the production date from the door.
My Mini is an '04 (12-03 build) but I just put in an new OEM head unit with the production date of July '06 stamped on the radio - I have the car in my shop now and have been trying to get all going before I put it all back together. Is it possible I have to have the car running for it to work?

thanks for any info -

Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
My Mini is an '04 (12-03 build) but I just put in an new OEM head unit with the production date of July '06 stamped on the radio - I have the car in my shop now and have been trying to get all going before I put it all back together. Is it possible I have to have the car running for it to work?

thanks for any info -
Yes, turn the key to the ON position to see if text appears.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
uncle
1st Gear
Yes, turn the key to the ON position to see if text appears.
That was it!!! "If at first you don't succeed, try the key..." Works like a charm. Now my last question would be does the 'change disc' button on the steering wheel remote do anything for the DICE or do need to select 'disc modes' from the head unit?

Anyway, It's a great device....

Old 02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
That was it!!! "If at first you don't succeed, try the key..." Works like a charm. Now my last question would be does the 'change disc' button on the steering wheel remote do anything for the DICE or do need to select 'disc modes' from the head unit?

There are change track buttons on the steering wheel, I'm not aware of change disc buttons. Are you getting the two confused?

Old 02-08-2007, 03:58 PM
uncle
1st Gear
There are change track buttons on the steering wheel, I'm not aware of change disc buttons. Are you getting the two confused?
I have the older 2 spoke steering wheel that has the buttons for the radio on the back. On the left side there are 3 buttons - 'next/previous track' and 'change disc' is the center button - (the right side also has 3 buttons - 'volume up/down' and the center button is 'source') -

Old 02-08-2007, 05:44 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
I have the older 2 spoke steering wheel that has the buttons for the radio on the back. On the left side there are 3 buttons - 'next/previous track' and 'change disc' is the center button - (the right side also has 3 buttons - 'volume up/down' and the center button is 'source') -
DISC CHANGE would be equivalent to pressing 1-6 on the radio.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
For those looking to upgrade to a 05+ MINI radio, we have 2 brand new radios that were used for our Bluetooth development. These are MP3 and text display compatible with the DICE and are an easy Plug and Play.

More info here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...75#post1363875

Normally, these radios sell at $699, we have these 2 available at $499. use the following coupon code upon checkout:

Coupon Code:
miniboost

Radio Boost upgrade w/ MP3 support - Mini Cooper/Cooper S

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=318

Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear

The MINI HU is designed to be used without having the key in the ignition, you just push the on/off button and it plays... so, does the DICE also work or does the key need to be in pos. 1?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:20 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Scavenger
The MINI HU is designed to be used without having the key in the ignition, you just push the on/off button and it plays... so, does the DICE also work or does the key need to be in pos. 1?
To use steering wheel control or text display, the key will need to be on.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
To use steering wheel control or text display, the key will need to be on.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
mrskippy
1st Gear
As of now there is only one of the upgraded HUs left. (If that...) Thanks for the posting Tom! Guess I don't need to worry about it being compatible with the new bluetooth kit huh?

-Scott
2004 Dk. Silver MCS

Old 02-08-2007, 10:17 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by mrskippy
As of now there is only one of the upgraded HUs left. (If that...) Thanks for the posting Tom! Guess I don't need to worry about it being compatible with the new bluetooth kit huh?

-Scott
2004 Dk. Silver MCS
Ha! Not anymore, we'll get your new radio sent tomorrow!

Also, news tomorrow on the Bluetooth kits.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Macbest
2nd Gear
I have been reading through all the posts in this thread. Great help and nice to have a vendor around to explain options.

One question that I still haven't seen explained well yet (and it is not on the website either):

I'm getting a 2007 MCSC with NAV in March and HK. I can't find out if the CD changer wiring is there or not with the model turnover. I know some of the NAV testing is still in progress. The 2007's Converts supposedly do come with the Aux jacks in the glove box (not positive about location, maybe under the dash).

If the CD changer is prewired into the boot: can I just buy the DICE kit and just plug in everything, including the iPOD in the boot and leave it all there, and have the songs, playlists, etc. show up on the HK radio? Is this an easy install? I understand the NAV portion is still being worked out, but the ability to see this info (and drive it from the steering wheel) on the radio would be great.

If it is not: sounds like I have to pull the Nav or radio out to install? Is that a big deal or is there a reputable installer in the Bay Area, California, that will do this install?

Sounds like money is way better spent with the DICE kit vs. the iPod connector that the dealer sells. (I'm guessing none of the dealers will install the DICE kit?).

Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Macbest
I have been reading through all the posts in this thread. Great help and nice to have a vendor around to explain options.

One question that I still haven't seen explained well yet (and it is not on the website either):

I'm getting a 2007 MCSC with NAV in March and HK. I can't find out if the CD changer wiring is there or not with the model turnover. I know some of the NAV testing is still in progress. The 2007's Converts supposedly do come with the Aux jacks in the glove box (not positive about location, maybe under the dash).
Macbest,

According to 101dals in this post, the 2007 convertibles do have the CD changer wiring. This makes sense since the convertible model changeover isn't until 2009. In the same vein, I don't believe the NAV for the convertible will change until 2009 either.

Phil

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread