Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:59 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keysersozeh
Tom

I interested in your products. I am kinda getting tired of burning MP3's to CD so I can have more music in my car. I do have the H/K system. I would like to be able to use my Ipod, HD-Radio, and Sat Radio. What would be the best route for me to take? I'm not partial to either provider when it comes to Sat. XM (Would probably be my choice because my family already has 2 XM enabled Cars) Could I get everything I need for that through you?
Keyser,

It looks like you can get everything you need from Tom. See the two links below. The first is the XM Direct bundle and the second is the DICE HD radio interface (you'll need the optional iPod cable to hook up your iPod). I know that the XM Direct bundle will work with the DICE iPod interface so I'm sure the DICE HD will work this way as well.

Phil

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=267

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=608

Old 01-19-2007, 08:05 AM
sranderle
3rd Gear
Anyone want to offer some tips/tricks on getting all of the cables and stuff behind the radio on a HU install? I'm having some wierd electrical issues, and may need to redo my install to improve the grounding on the HU. Everything is working correctly, but I'm getting wierd locking behavior and no backlighting on the radio, AC unit, or toggle switch bar.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pjschaffer
Keyser,

It looks like you can get everything you need from Tom. See the two links below. The first is the XM Direct bundle and the second is the DICE HD radio interface (you'll need the optional iPod cable to hook up your iPod. I know that the XM Direct bundle will work with the DICE iPod interface so I'm sure the DICE HD will work this way as well.

Phil

Cool! Thanks for the info.

Is there a 2 in one Antenna? I think I will have a total of 3 with doing this.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:28 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Keysersozeh
Cool! Thanks for the info.

Is there a 2 in one Antenna? I think I will have a total of 3 with doing this.
There is a 2/1 antenna for FM and Sirius, MINI part number 84.11.0.150.524.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by sranderle
Anyone want to offer some tips/tricks on getting all of the cables and stuff behind the radio on a HU install? I'm having some wierd electrical issues, and may need to redo my install to improve the grounding on the HU. Everything is working correctly, but I'm getting wierd locking behavior and no backlighting on the radio, AC unit, or toggle switch bar.
There should be plenty of room behind the radio, what kind of electrical issues are you having?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by pjschaffer
Keyser,

It looks like you can get everything you need from Tom. See the two links below. The first is the XM Direct bundle and the second is the DICE HD radio interface (you'll need the optional iPod cable to hook up your iPod. I know that the XM Direct bundle will work with the DICE iPod interface so I'm sure the DICE HD will work this way as well.

Phil

Couldn't have put it any better myself!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
sranderle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
There should be plenty of room behind the radio, what kind of electrical issues are you having?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=89690

Just wondering if the radio ground might be loose, and causing the problems.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=89690

Just wondering if the radio ground might be loose, and causing the problems.
It's possible - if your MINI is still under warranty, I think a dealer trip would be the best advise.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 PM
sranderle
3rd Gear
You know, last night I had left my ipod connected for 3.5 hours while I went to play tennis. First time I've left it connected that long. Could that have caused a car battery drain? Is it not recommended to leave it connected while the car is not running?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:43 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
You know, last night I had left my ipod connected for 3.5 hours while I went to play tennis. First time I've left it connected that long. Could that have caused a car battery drain? Is it not recommended to leave it connected while the car is not running?
No, charging stops when the ignition is but to prevent battery drainage.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Cactusflier
2nd Gear
I just want a clarification on the ipod radio interface kit. I have a 06 mcs with the standard factory installed radio with cd (not cd changer). Will this radio accept your kit? The information I have read seems to indicate that it will but at the bottom of your ad it says "Models supported 2002-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S wtih Boost system (CD)" The term Boost throws me and most of the threads talk of cd changers which I don't have. I know they say the u.s. models are suppose to come with the wiring and plug in the boot side compartment for a cd changer but that plug does not exist in my car or they hid it very well.

And will it charge and power the ipod?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Cactusflier
I just want a clarification on the ipod radio interface kit. I have a 06 mcs with the standard factory installed radio with cd (not cd changer). Will this radio accept your kit? The information I have read seems to indicate that it will but at the bottom of your ad it says "Models supported 2002-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S wtih Boost system (CD)" The term Boost throws me and most of the threads talk of cd changers which I don't have. I know they say the u.s. models are suppose to come with the wiring and plug in the boot side compartment for a cd changer but that plug does not exist in my car or they hid it very well.

And will it charge and power the ipod?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Boost is the name of the radio - the term is not widely used in the US. You will have the CD Changer prewiring in the boot of your MINI, the DICE can connect using those connectors.

This will charge and power the iPod as well.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:56 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All radios in the US are the "Boost" version. Here in Europe they have the ability to get the "Wave" version of the radio which has less output wattage and is cheaper. Added to that, there were also different media formats that the Europeans could get (cassette, MD and such).

Old 01-20-2007, 12:48 PM
randers51
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by randers51
I am using the iPod interface cable from DICE. I am going to try and run a separate ground wire directly to the DICE Module. I'll just tap into the DICE harness and connect the ground wire directly to the cars fram back in the boot area where the cd changer harness is. I'll post the results in a few days. To cold here to work in the garage right now.
Well, I had no luck with fixing the hum in the HD Dice unit when playing HD Fm or iPod. Tried running separate ground to the Dice unit. Did not change at all. Then tried the unit in the wifes '06 MCS and had the same problem. In fact it was worse in her car. Now I am at a loss as how to fix this. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Old 01-21-2007, 03:03 PM
DSRH
2nd Gear
Dice Unit Whining

Anyone had a whine problem with the DICE unit? I installed mine a while back and honestly I have been listening to my Sirius quite a bit so the DICE hasn't seen much use..not that I don't like it or anything I have just been listening to Sirius quite a bit. .Also the car has been sitting out the bad weather in my garage...Anyway I have noticed a whine when using my iPod. The ound system only whines when using the iPod... It won't go away. Seems to be related to the engine or that is what it sounds like.. My car is a bone stock 2006 MCS, no special spark wires or anything non-OEM. My ipod is sitting on my Euro parcel shelf. The Dice is plugged in on the drivers rear and the wire to the front runs down the door sill on the drivers side. The Dice is mounted under my steering wheel behind the shelf. Any ideas? My ipod is an Ipod Photo and has the latest firmware. Pictures can be seen on my web log. The blog address is in my signature. Help!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by randers51
Well, I had no luck with fixing the hum in the HD Dice unit when playing HD Fm or iPod. Tried running separate ground to the Dice unit. Did not change at all. Then tried the unit in the wifes '06 MCS and had the same problem. In fact it was worse in her car. Now I am at a loss as how to fix this. Anyone else had a similar problem?
Give me a call from your MINI and we'll run down some troubleshooting in real-time.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by DSRH
Anyone had a whine problem with the DICE unit? I installed mine a while back and honestly I have been listening to my Sirius quite a bit so the DICE hasn't seen much use..not that I don't like it or anything I have just been listening to Sirius quite a bit. .Also the car has been sitting out the bad weather in my garage...Anyway I have noticed a whine when using my iPod. The ound system only whines when using the iPod... It won't go away. Seems to be related to the engine or that is what it sounds like.. My car is a bone stock 2006 MCS, no special spark wires or anything non-OEM. My ipod is sitting on my Euro parcel shelf. The Dice is plugged in on the drivers rear and the wire to the front runs down the door sill on the drivers side. The Dice is mounted under my steering wheel behind the shelf. Any ideas? My ipod is an Ipod Photo and has the latest firmware. Pictures can be seen on my web log. The blog address is in my signature. Help!
Try turning off the iPod backlight and see if the noise is removed or changes in pitch.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:02 PM
shoeboy
2nd Gear
What are my options for connecting an iPod to an '02 Mini? Will I run into the same problems with DICE that prevent the use of the factory AUX input on '02 models?

How exactly does the Radio interface connect vs. the Trunk interface?

Will I be able to use the steering wheel controls in my '02?

And finally, is there any difference to note when using a Generation 3 iPod?

Thank you in advance!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:11 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by shoeboy
What are my options for connecting an iPod to an '02 Mini? Will I run into the same problems with DICE that prevent the use of the factory AUX input on '02 models?

How exactly does the Radio interface connect vs. the Trunk interface?

Will I be able to use the steering wheel controls in my '02?

And finally, is there any difference to note when using a Generation 3 iPod?

Thank you in advance!
MY02 MINIs have a different radio harness, we will have a MY02-specific harness in about 2 weeks, or I would recommend using the trunk interface kit. AUX is a moot point since the DICE has an integrated AUX port, but this does not interfere with MINI AUX.

You will have steering wheel control for your MINI as well with either configuration. Generation 3 iPods do not have FFW/REW, ALBUM or CHAPTER search but you gain these features back with a 4th Generation or later iPod.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:27 PM
LagunaSol
4th Gear
I have a '05 S cabrio that was built in 2/05 I believe (delivery was 4/05). I currently have an ICELink adapter and I do get the text display on my head unit (H/K). Does this mean the DICE will work, complete with head unit text, even though I'm not in the "magical" 4/05-and-later build window?

Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by LagunaSol
I have a '05 S cabrio that was built in 2/05 I believe (delivery was 4/05). I currently have an ICELink adapter and I do get the text display on my head unit (H/K). Does this mean the DICE will work, complete with head unit text, even though I'm not in the "magical" 4/05-and-later build window?
The earliest I've seen text compatibility was 2/05. This means the DICE will work in your case also since you already have confirmation with the ice>Link.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:13 AM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DSRH
Yep! I have the same configuration as you with the DICE using the OEM SIRIUS pass-thru. I had the whine with an IceLink+, the Monster iCruze (really bad so I sold it) and now the DICE. It doesn't matter which version of the two iPods I have, or any settings on the iPod including the backlight. If I disconnect the SIRIUS tuner so that the DICE can be connected directly to the changer cable the whine goes away. So, this seems to be a problem only when the DICE (or other iPod interface) is connected via the OEM SIRIUS pass-thru port using the BMW cable. Tom had suggested I install a "noise filter" in the 3-pin (power & bus) part of the BMW extension cable but I have yet to try that approach. I dislike the whine but using the DICE it is much more tolerable than what I experienced with the IceLink+ or especially the iCruze. All three devices acted exactly the same way - directly connected to the changer cable = no whine, and using the SIRIUS pass-thru with the BMW extension cable = whine

FWIW the iCruze display was pretty neat but the DICE is a better implementation IMO.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM
shoeboy
2nd Gear
MY02 MINIs have a different radio harness, we will have a MY02-specific harness in about 2 weeks, or I would recommend using the trunk interface kit.
So does this mean that if I wait 2 weeks I can have a radio interface kit on my '02?

Alternatively, would I have to run wires to the front of the car to use the trunk interface kit? I would like a very clean-looking install, meaning no messy wires. This should be possible with the radio interface, no?

Old 01-25-2007, 03:07 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by shoeboy
So does this mean that if I wait 2 weeks I can have a radio interface kit on my '02?

Alternatively, would I have to run wires to the front of the car to use the trunk interface kit? I would like a very clean-looking install, meaning no messy wires. This should be possible with the radio interface, no?
For your specific setup - yes. MY03+ MINIs have a different harness which we currently stock.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM
shoeboy
2nd Gear
For your specific setup - yes. MY03+ MINIs have a different harness which we currently stock.
I'll be patiently waiting...

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread