Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abuzavi
Tom, Yeah, one question.

Selecting text. I've got an '06 MCS with HK and Nav. From CD6, I select track one and get text on the radio, but the text also hijacks my Nav screen. That's bad.

Track 2 is listed as being for folks with Nav screen, but it doesn't. There are two alternate Nav screen options (4 & 5, I think), but in doing so, the Nav doesn't show the map.

As I see it, I can't really get text to display without taking a hit on my Nav capabilities.

Which pretty much leaves the option of turning off the text altogether. Not great, but better than the OEM adapter.

Tell me, Jedi Master, that you know of some trick that either puts the text on the radio only (ideal solution) or that puts it on the Nav screen without messing with the Nav functions.
I haven't had a chance to see this beforehand - but we have a MCS w/ NAV scheduled this weekend for datalogging so we can determine the source of the problem.

I'll keep the thread updated with our findings.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
I haven't had a chance to see this beforehand - but we have a MCS w/ NAV scheduled this weekend for datalogging so we can determine the source of the problem.

I'll keep the thread updated with our findings.
EXCELLENT news...

I realize that integrating with the Nav fully and unobtrusively would probably require a lot of research and work to properly implement...

But I hold out hope that you guys are at least able to successfully give Nav owners an easy option to display track info on the head unit and NOT interfere with the Nav screen at all.

I suspect that option will be much easier to figure out, and it would be a godsend to those of us with Nav. I haven't installed my DICE yet but I will be very soon, and I've always been concerned about this issue.

Incidentally, make sure the customer with Nav has the latest OS for the Nav system... it's a free download and upgrade! I believe the current version is V28, which will show up as 4-1/80 from the Settings screen.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Edge
EXCELLENT news...

I realize that integrating with the Nav fully and unobtrusively would probably require a lot of research and work to properly implement...

But I hold out hope that you guys are at least able to successfully give Nav owners an easy option to display track info on the head unit and NOT interfere with the Nav screen at all.

I suspect that option will be much easier to figure out, and it would be a godsend to those of us with Nav. I haven't installed my DICE yet but I will be very soon, and I've always been concerned about this issue.

Incidentally, make sure the customer with Nav has the latest OS for the Nav system... it's a free download and upgrade! I believe the current version is V28, which will show up as 4-1/80 from the Settings screen.
We have v28 - and highly modified to my likings.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I've been interested in DICE but holding back until I'm clear about its behavior with Nav. What I've heard about Icelink Plus is that it either displays text on both the headunit and Nav (taking over the whole screen) at the same time, or no text on either while the Nav map is displayed. I'd be satisfied with the same behavior if it is simple and easy to switch between the two modes.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:59 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other thing worth mentioning, I think. The head unit has alzheimer's. It remembers nothing, short term. Make a selection, turn off the car, and when you turn i tback on, it has forgotten all. Applies to selecting Radnom mode, just as it applies to telling to display text on the DICE a certain way.

Would *LOVE* to resolve that, too.

Help us, Obi-wan -- you're our only hope.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This, I think, is an Alpine unit problem. I had the same issue with my Icelink where the random setting would have to be set everytime I got in the car. However, that changed when I switched to the Siemens VDO unit (OEM unit here in Europe for TMC). With this unit the setting is retained.

As for the text on the NAV, we are just out of luck. These units are using the Phone portion of the IBUS to send the text. Unfortunetly, when that happens, your NAV thinks that you have an incoming call and displays it. I have tried to see if there was a way to block the NAV from getting the signal, but it looks like it all funnels down one wire. I really don't think that there is anything that DICE or Icelink can do with the current system.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Well, I don't like that answer.....

Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Sorry....

Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Well, I don't like that answer.....

We don't either - but keep your spirits up, we'll know more during testing.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
We don't either - but keep your spirits up, we'll know more during testing.
Definetly something that might be able to be controlled digitally.

I really hope that you get it working as it would give me a reason to spend more money.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Oh, yeah -- like you need that. Hell, like any of us need that....

Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by daflake
As for the text on the NAV, we are just out of luck. These units are using the Phone portion of the IBUS to send the text. Unfortunetly, when that happens, your NAV thinks that you have an incoming call and displays it. I have tried to see if there was a way to block the NAV from getting the signal, but it looks like it all funnels down one wire. I really don't think that there is anything that DICE or Icelink can do with the current system.
Uh-oh... I didn't realize the DICE utilized the phone portion of IBUS...

That might be a BIG problem for me. See, I have the OEM bluetooth kit. No, not the simple one. The big crazy expensive one that uses the steering wheel buttons, has a phone mount in the armrest and integrates with the factory Nav.

Since this is of course all phone-related (the way the designers intended it to be), I now am concerned that the DICE will cause additional issues with my OEM Bluetooth... I guess we'll find out soon!

Last edited by Edge; 01-17-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Edge
Uh-oh... I didn't realize the DICE utilized the phone portion of IBUS...

That might be a BIG problem for me. See, I have the OEM bluetooth kit. No, not the simple one. The big crazy expensive one that uses the steering wheel buttons, has a phone mount in the armrest and integrates with the factory Nav.

Since this is of course all phone-related (the way the designers intended it to be), I now am concerned that the DICE will cause additional issues with my OEM Bluetooth... I guess we'll find out soon!
It's not a problem - I use the DICE and Bluetooth on my M3 w/ NAV, everything works flawlessly. It's a different field of the phone system that's used.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:07 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
We own both an '05 and '06 MCS with the standard radio and no CD changer. I recently purchased a Creative ZEN VISION:M 30GB MP3 player and was wondering if there was any way of playing this through the radio. Everything I see with the DICE mentions IPOD, IPOD, IPOD. Any hope for those of us who didn't want an IPOD? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 AM
randers51
2nd Gear
I recently installed the HD DICE module in my '06 MCS. The installation was pretty straight forward. BUT, now I have a real nasty humm when the Ipod is connected. It is so loud, I can hear it over the music from the iPod. The hum only occures when the ignition is on. It does not happen with the ket switch is in the aux(accessory) position. Any one else have this problem. Any suggestions on a cure?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:19 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by randers51
I recently installed the HD DICE module in my '06 MCS. The installation was pretty straight forward. BUT, now I have a real nasty humm when the Ipod is connected. It is so loud, I can hear it over the music from the iPod. The hum only occures when the ignition is on. It does not happen with the ket switch is in the aux(accessory) position. Any one else have this problem. Any suggestions on a cure?
You've got a ground loop issue somewhere. Are you using the iPod connection port and cable or are you using the aux input port on the HD box?

If you're using the aux port and a seperate charger for your iPod, try disconnecting the charger to see if the hum goes away. If it does, you can get a stero signal isolator which would eliminate the ground loop or you could buy the iPod interface cable from DICE and use it to charge your iPod as well as play your tunes.

If you're already using the iPod interface cable, then I suspect that the HD unit is causing the ground loop and may need to be replaced/repaired. I'm sure Tom @ EAS can help troubleshoot this.

Phil

Old 01-18-2007, 10:36 AM
randers51
2nd Gear
I am using the iPod interface cable from DICE. I am going to try and run a separate ground wire directly to the DICE Module. I'll just tap into the DICE harness and connect the ground wire directly to the cars fram back in the boot area where the cd changer harness is. I'll post the results in a few days. To cold here to work in the garage right now.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:52 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by rhawth99
We own both an '05 and '06 MCS with the standard radio and no CD changer. I recently purchased a Creative ZEN VISION:M 30GB MP3 player and was wondering if there was any way of playing this through the radio. Everything I see with the DICE mentions IPOD, IPOD, IPOD. Any hope for those of us who didn't want an IPOD? Thanks in advance for any answers.
You can use the standard AUX kit for the MINI. This plugs into the back of your radio and will provide an audio input for your Zen.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by randers51
Does sound like a open ground. Does the noise pitch change when the headlights are turned on or off?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:02 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Yeah, twice in a row now, I've heard one song from the iPod, and then it's locked up. Screen shows next song or next albu cover, but nothing -- no sound, not responsive to radio / nice, not responsive when disconnected. I've ended up waiting for the battery to run out.

Ideas, anyone? This really sucks.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Yeah, twice in a row now, I've heard one song from the iPod, and then it's locked up. Screen shows next song or next albu cover, but nothing -- no sound, not responsive to radio / nice, not responsive when disconnected. I've ended up waiting for the battery to run out.

Ideas, anyone? This really sucks.
What is your iPod Generation and firmware version?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
On my end (again, DICE (version 2 replacement module) with Parrot EVO and MFSW integration kits, stock radio, no changer, no nav)
the situation is reasonably normal playing, navigation and interfacing behavior with the Dice, but simply that the text tags disappeared.
I do see a message on the radio when the BT phone is in use, but then it just returns to whatever was on the radio before, either FM, CD or the 'Track XX' of the DICE's info, whatever that happened to be. But no more text tags. I'm trying to understand if it's a DICE problem or not...
I've pulled and reconnected the DICE module, still no text. Before I head back to my stereo installer, I thought I'd contnue researching it...
Is your MINI equipped with NAV?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:51 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As stated above, no nav. I've been working with Dension since the product launched, and this change was a very new occurance. Overall, it's worked flawlessly. That said, there's a chance I'm just a fool and did it to myself. I talked to the always helpful Dension tech support team, who suggested I check to see if my lovely wife accidentally or deliberately (heh) hit CD06 a few times and disabled text. HAHAAH. We'll see in about 5 minutes...

Old 01-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Tom

I interested in your products. I am kinda getting tired of burning MP3's to CD so I can have more music in my car. I do have the H/K system. I would like to be able to use my Ipod, HD-Radio, and Sat Radio. What would be the best route for me to take? I'm not partial to either provider when it comes to Sat. XM (Would probably be my choice because my family already has 2 XM enabled Cars) Could I get everything I need for that through you?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
It's a new iPod Nano, running 1.1.1

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread