Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilNik
To everyone - Is anyone using the 80gb Ipod with the DICE? I'd like to pick this up if it'll work but the compability chart doesnt show it....I'm pretty sure I have the 5gen "video ipod"
The 5th Generation 80G iPod is 100% compatible.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
EvilNik
1st Gear
Perfect! Thanks Tom...last question before ordering....Where do most people mount their Ipods? In the glove box? or by using the ProClip Angled Mount, Low position with the DICE iPod Cradle.......

Old 04-16-2007, 03:38 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by EvilNik
Perfect! Thanks Tom...last question before ordering....Where do most people mount their Ipods? In the glove box? or by using the ProClip Angled Mount, Low position with the DICE iPod Cradle.......
Strictly personal preference, some prefer the iPod to be displayed with the ProClip/Cradle and others like a stealth mount in the glovebox.

I'm a big fan of the stealth mount myself.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:27 AM
pompui
Neutral
Unsuccessful installation attempt in GP

I can't say I've had a very good experience with EAS trying to install the DICE HD radio/IPOD integration kit. There were no MINI specific instructions but that wasn't a big problem once you find how to remove the radio. Once installed, I connected my 3G pod and then the fun began. No sound, called EAS. IPOD needs firmware update. Completed, no sound. Next call, white 12 pin connector not connected (never noticed this lead on cable but I've missed things before). White connector already part of larger connector, good connection. Next call, your IPOD must be bad, got new IPOD, no sound. Next call, need photo of connections (there is only one way to connect radio and cable but EAS insists I have may have them wrong). EAS: may be amp, can return for bench test (I figure this will burn an additional two weeks with shipping etc.) or buy another unit!! If it is so hard to replace defective parts perhaps they should bench test prior to shipping.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I had looked forward to this supposed upgrade for the dragon trip thinking 3 weeks was enough to receive and install. If you order, check with your psychic for instructions not included, have your digital camera charged to prove you have wires connected and at least 2 ipods for testing and a month out of your life for shipping and trouble shooting and hope that the surfs not up and you get EAS to answer the phone. Does this sound reasonable? You can be the judge.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:04 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by pompui
I can't say I've had a very good experience with EAS trying to install the DICE HD radio/IPOD integration kit. There were no MINI specific instructions but that wasn't a big problem once you find how to remove the radio. Once installed, I connected my 3G pod and then the fun began. No sound, called EAS. IPOD needs firmware update. Completed, no sound. Next call, white 12 pin connector not connected (never noticed this lead on cable but I've missed things before). White connector already part of larger connector, good connection. Next call, your IPOD must be bad, got new IPOD, no sound. Next call, need photo of connections (there is only one way to connect radio and cable but EAS insists I have may have them wrong). EAS: may be amp, can return for bench test (I figure this will burn an additional two weeks with shipping etc.) or buy another unit!! If it is so hard to replace defective parts perhaps they should bench test prior to shipping.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I had looked forward to this supposed upgrade for the dragon trip thinking 3 weeks was enough to receive and install. If you order, check with your psychic for instructions not included, have your digital camera charged to prove you have wires connected and at least 2 ipods for testing and a month out of your life for shipping and trouble shooting and hope that the surfs not up and you get EAS to answer the phone. Does this sound reasonable? You can be the judge.
For your GP, we put together a specfiic kit since your MINI does not have CD Changer prewiring, rather than purchasing an additional CD Changer prewiring package. From the get-go - you were already saving some $$ from our recommendation rather than simply trying to make a sale.

We do bench test before shipping. However, without physically being at the vehicle and looking at your connections, we can only make educated guesses off the information you are providing. I even asked for a picture of your connections, in which you you did not want to provide saying it was already correct. The next step is to check the kit ourselves - if the kit tests correct on the bench, then we know there is something else going on within the car and needs to either be diagnosed, or installed by a professional. You were never told to purchase another iPod.

The reason you did not get me on the phone yesterday was because I was out of the office that afternoon - we went over that discussion in detail already on the phone this morning. For the other phone calls you made - I was there each and every time you called.

We were trying to provide solutions, but need your cooperation in order to get the unit exchanged. You can either send in your module (we'll cover shipping) and we can have it tested/verified/replaced if needed) or purchase another kit and have the old kit returned and refunded if time is an issue.

However you should never feel that you are "forced" to keep a kit, return authorization instructions were already emailed to you and your module will still be tested to see if this is within the module itself or otherwise, even though an exchange is not an option since your decision to return the unit has already been made.

We're nice people and will help as much as possible - proof of that is here on the forums. Your deadline is to get a working kit before the Dragon and we can make that happen. However, your cooperation will make the final decision on the matter.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:11 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got DICE, XM, Blitzsafe and wire harness for my GP from EAS (thanks Tom!!) and had NO issues. The hardest thing for me is understanding the menus. VERY HAPPY with my stuff from EAS and the service. Give them a chance!!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I am concerned about spending 400 bucks for the adapter, plus disassembling half the interior of the car (or paying someone to do it) versus the ease and non-invasiveness of a $15 aux plug in adapter. So, other than not having the display through my radio or control through the MFSW, is there any othner benefit to the DICE adapter?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:21 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
Lynn, I am not one to talk about technical benefits but my dealer installed all I got from Tom for $150 bucks! It was worth it for me to not do it plus I did other things with my time and got paid! Good luck.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I am concerned about spending 400 bucks for the adapter, plus disassembling half the interior of the car (or paying someone to do it) versus the ease and non-invasiveness of a $15 aux plug in adapter. So, other than not having the display through my radio or control through the MFSW, is there any othner benefit to the DICE adapter?
Absolutely:

- Text display on your radio (2005+)
- unlimited Playlists
- ability to browse by song, album or Playlist
- Full control of iPod's Clickwheel (BMW kit locks out the wheel)
- Retains text display on iPod
- Integrated AUX input
- All iPod features are still functional (highest rated songs, play count, on-the-go playlists, etc)
- Charging of your iPod.

The AUX isn't really a comparison since it's nothing other than an audio input. You will still need your own charging source.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Well, my dealer quoted $770 for the unit and install. For me, that isn't worht it. If I could find someone who knows what their doing install it for $150, I'd do it. I'm a gadget freak, but not a wealthy one.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:37 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cant seem to get back track title display on radio. I know it something simple

Old 04-20-2007, 12:38 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Well, my dealer quoted $770 for the unit and install. For me, that isn't worht it. If I could find someone who knows what their doing install it for $150, I'd do it. I'm a gadget freak, but not a wealthy one.
Yikes. That's way too much - this is a 1 hour installation at most.

I would recommend an independent installer, the rates will be much better. Feel free to provide my contact information if they should have any questions - we're here every step of the way.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Sounds great, Tom. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Ask a club member! I know if you were near me I'd do it for Beer

Old 04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by TWISTER
I cant seem to get back track title display on radio. I know it something simple
Do this:

Press CD6>Track99 (left arrow once or twice)
Revert to TRACK1
Press CD1

Text should be re-enabled.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Ask a club member! I know if you were near me I'd do it for Beer
I would hope I wouldn't have to give you the beer first.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Nope, Are you coming to the Dragon? I could do it there

Old 04-20-2007, 02:07 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, for those of you (Like myself) waiting for a Nav fix, I just got off the phone with Tom. In addition to ordering a DICE/HD kit and an XM kit which I should get tomorrow, it looks like i'll be offering my car up for testing next Thursday to try and get a solution going .

Thanks to Tom for the opportunity and for getting everything out to me so quick .

Old 04-20-2007, 02:10 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Do this:

Press CD6>Track99 (left arrow once or twice)
Revert to TRACK1
Press CD1

Text should be re-enabled.
Tried it no show should I say.. Any other ideas? Reset unit?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Tried it no show should I say.. Any other ideas? Reset unit?
Yes, perform the following steps:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Under PSI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
Well, for those of you (Like myself) waiting for a Nav fix, I just got off the phone with Tom. In addition to ordering a DICE/HD kit and an XM kit which I should get tomorrow, it looks like i'll be offering my car up for testing next Thursday to try and get a solution going .

Thanks to Tom for the opportunity and for getting everything out to me so quick .
I don't know if you saw my post on the previous page, but I just installed the DICE kit in my '03 MCS w/NAV and I installed an '06 head unit at the same time. I get text display on the head unit and the NAV is unaffected.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Z-Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
Anybody have any step by step photos of the installation? What are the pros and cons of the radio and the trunk interface? Is it easy to route the plug wire to the glovebox?
Removing the glovebox and drilling a small hole in the back left hand corner to route the cable through is pretty simple.

Here is link to my own project to route the iPod cable into the glovebox. I used the MINI iPod adapter install PDF (snatched from MotoringFile) as a guide.

http://www.iniw.net/2006/06/22/ipod-install-cleanup/

-Randy

Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
bryankia
1st Gear
So I have scanned this whole thread and I am looking for a detailed and photoed how to for the HD\ipod. can anyone help me with this???

Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 PM
anon0mus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bryankia
So I have scanned this whole thread and I am looking for a detailed and photoed how to for the HD\ipod. can anyone help me with this???
I've been waiting for a response that I e-mailed to Tom at EAS almost two months ago (asking for the same thing). Northwest MINI (in WA State) wasn't willing take this on for me. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, but I'd be much more comfortable with some instructions -- even if there weren't pictures.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:55 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by anon0mus
I've been waiting for a response that I e-mailed to Tom at EAS almost two months ago (asking for the same thing). Northwest MINI (in WA State) wasn't willing take this on for me. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, but I'd be much more comfortable with some instructions -- even if there weren't pictures.
If you buy the kit that connects behind the head unit, you unscrew the screws holding the downtubes in, slide the radio out, plug it in, and route the cables however you desire. I see no reason to buy this version, just more work for yourself.

If you buy the kit that connects to the cd changer in the boot, open the cubby on the passenger side of the boot, pull the CD changer prewiring out, plug in the dice cables (There's 2), route it to the front of the car along the floorboard, tuck it all away, thats it.

The HD was a bit more complicated to install, but not overly so. We routed the stick on antenna along the dotted edge of the windshield, mounted the antenna box on the right hand side, and ran the wires down the A-Pillar. We used the sun visor as a grounding point.

Install of the Ipod portion takes all of 10 minutes. 15 if you have NO idea what you're doing. It's 2 clips, seriously it's no more complicated than plugging in a webcam on your computer.

If you're going for the HD box, tack 30-45 minutes onto the install. Mostly because of the routing behind the a-pillar. If you don't care about hiding all the wires you can just run it down the A pillar on the outside and tape the wire to it.

Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread