Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How Hard to install an Aftermarket Stereo?

Old 12-26-2005, 08:31 PM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Hard to install an Aftermarket Stereo?

I think I could definitely save some bucks by installing a new stereo in my MINI. How hard is it to do so? Specifically, will I need any special tools to remove the factory unit and install the Pioneer AVIC-N2? I called the local custom installer, and they said they wanted to charge me between 300-400 dollars for the installation...a little steep for something that I could probably do in an hour or two, right?

So, let me know how hard you think it is to do. Also, post your installation photos and links. I know this is a topic others can use some schooling on!!

Old 12-27-2005, 06:25 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$300-400 sounds pretty high...check out Crutchfield's Install Card for professional installation with Crulctfield's warrenty. Still cheaper to diys but here's an alternative:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZQZt5Ya...07&i=597421007

Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2005, 06:28 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
My most recent stereo install with step-by-step pics

Just replacing the head unit is not difficult. You need a torx driver to undo some MINI parts, but that is a common tool these days.
I recommend getting wiring and bezel adaptors to make the install easy.

I think the AVIC-N2 is a navigation unit? Not sure what extra install demands it needs (eg: GPS antenna? connect to reverse gear signal? etc).

IMPORTANT:
If you have the HK upgrade, you will need additional work!

Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 AM
callinsky
1st Gear
Replacing the receiver in a 2005 Mini

Replacing the radio in a 2005 Mini Cooper is really simple. The radio install is the same for a convertible on hardtop. I bought a Blaupunkt Acapulco (because you can match the lights in the dash) and it didn’t take me more than an hour, including hardwiring the harness to the radio. The harness matched the factory plug that came out of the back of the factory radio, so I didn’t have to slice any factory wires at all. I did not purchase the HK system from Mini because I knew that I would replace it.

I also bought component speakers for the front and rear, but the sound quality of the factory speakers after upgrading the radio was really impressive. I still have not installed the component speakers. I did install an Audiobahn 100 watt 10” powered sub. The ATB10AT. It doesn’t fit through the back of the hatch. You have to fold the rear seats down and it just fits when you install it that way. It was very easy to install because there is room in the front fender to run the cables. I was very shocked at how easy hooking it up was. It only took me about a half hour. And the sub sounds terrific. I was surprised at how loud it turned out. In my last vehicle (’98 VW Beetle) I installed components, Two amplifiers, cap, new radio, and a 12” sub. The sound in my Mini equals that.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take them.

Cindy Callinsky

Old 12-28-2005, 07:13 AM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
Thanks for your help!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help in answering my question. I think I will install the head unit myself after learning from you that it isn't a hard task to complete. I have only installed one other car stereo in my life, and it was a Sony cassette deck in a '94 Honda Accord. I never was able to get the deck to stay firm in it's mounts...a very frustrating thing. Basically, the head unit would vibrate and move around with the slightest of pushes on the front of it. From what you have all said, and from what photos I have seen of HU installs in the MINI, it looks like I won't have this problem again...I think the biggest challenge won't be the HU install--it will be the XM satellite tuner component install!

The head unit I plan on buying is a GPS/DVD/CD/Satellite-ready component. I know that it has some sort of separate component which contains the gyro and GPS guts, and another component is the XM NavTraffic Satellite Tuner....I might be able to put the XM tuner in the boot--probably in the little passenger side hatch...the GPS component though has to be bolted to the floor of the vehicle facing forward in order to get an accurate reading of location, speed, etc...

Any thoughts on places/methods to mount the XM tuner? Under the front passenger seat seems like the logical location to mount the GPS component. Have any other suggestions? Also, how hard is it to remove the front passenger seat? It's probably just some bolts that can be removed with a ratchet set, right?

Once again, thanks for your advice/answers!!!

Old 12-28-2005, 07:38 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
If the tuner is anything like as small as the Sirius one I had in GBMINI#2 for a few months ...
I simply tucked it behind the carpet at the engine end of the passenger footwell!

Old 12-30-2005, 05:46 PM
callinsky
1st Gear
What exactly are you installing. What is the model of the GPS Nav unit?

Cindy Callinsky

Old 12-31-2005, 02:13 PM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
I stated the model number in my orginal post. It's a Pioneer AVIC-N2. It is a combination stereo head unit/GPS navigation unit.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:56 PM
callinsky
1st Gear
I am sorry that I missed it. The Navtraffic tuner is the Pioneer GEX-P10XMT It is 5 X 5 X 1 3/8. Not very big. If you don't have AVIC-N2 yet you can actually look at the manual here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...=130AVICN2#Tab

Towards the right under "whats include" you will see a link where you can download the PDF manual for the unit. You can take a look at the installation there. See if you think you are up for it.

The hideaway unit for the AVIC-N2 is W=7.085", H=1.19", D=6.163" w/cables.

It has a 10 foot cable, so you may want to mount the hideaway in the rear.

As for the Navtraffic tuner. It would probably fit underneath your steering wheel. The panel right underneath the steering wheel just pulls down from the top. You may need a flat head screw driver to wedge between the bottom of the dash and the panel the first time you pull it down.

I will try to post pictures on how to get the radio out early this coming week. I don't know if I will have time or not, but I will do my best. You have a couple of months before you get yours anyway right?

Old 01-01-2006, 01:33 PM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info Cindy. I never knew that the space under the wheel was an option for mounting the XM tuner. I plan on installing the Euro Parcel Shelf. Do you know if I will still be able to install the XM tuner under the wheel?

It looks like the GPS Hideaway unit has restrictive mounting requirements. The manual you pointed out requires the hideaway unit to be mounted on a flat, horizontal surface. There are arrows on the unit and they must be pointing towards the front of the car. Got any other options for mounting other than under the passenger seat? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Flat spot under the glovebox with double sided sticky tape or velcro, or on your parcel shelf?

Old 01-01-2006, 03:23 PM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Flat spot under the glovebox with double sided sticky tape or velcro, or on your parcel shelf?
Interesting idea Wagnbat. When I get my car, I'll have to look into these two places.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:59 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
BTW G8R ... I love the way you don't have your MINI yet but you do have a full sig including specs and everything ... nice to see the MINI fanaticism still alive & well

Old 01-02-2006, 10:58 AM
callinsky
1st Gear
GPS and Navtraffic mount

I looked at the Euro shelf. I don't think it has enough room to hide the tuner anywhere.

Under the glove box is a great idea. I am not sure about the double sided sticky tape though. It may work for a while, but I don't see how it could last if you live in an area that gets warm in the summer. If it was going under the tuner just to hold it from sliding around it would probably work, but you would have to put it on top of the tuner. The weight of the tuner and the heat will probably cause it to fall at some point. It might work though. Velcro is the same concept but it is only sticky on one side.

Has anyone tried it that way?

I would mount the GPS box in the rear. There is a spot on the left and right in the rear that it could be mounted. They are almost like a shelves, but not really big enough to serve a function. This way it would be out of the way incase you want to pack a bunch of stuff in the back for a trip or something.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:49 PM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
I'll have to check out the little "shelves" in the rear of my friend's Cooper. Thanks for the tip Cindy. I agree about the tape method. I would much rather screw the tuner into something then let it fall onto my girlfriend's feet one day!

GBMINI, yes, I am super enthusiastic about the MINI. Especially the MINI I will be motoring around town in! I've been planning what will go in the car for over 3 years now. My current vehicle is finally on it's last leg so it is a great excuse to buy a new MCS!!

Old 05-13-2019, 06:40 PM
rneuman
Neutral
pop up video screen in 2005 mini

Thank you but I realyl need to know if a pop up video screen stereo will fit and operate correctly through the screens full motion of out and in in the 2005 mini. crutchfield days no. they are gods when it comes to installing but this time I need a second opinion. I'm looking to add GPS NAvigation to the car my wife's stereo volume control has no effect anymore so she wants new with gps because she always gets lost.. therare abunch of singl din receiver with touchscreen popup type to buy. will any of them fit?

So we all understand what Im yacking about before I buy. a pop up screen is a motorized screen tht sleeps inside the radio when not in use when poweed up a 4 inch by 7 incn video screen moslowly beginsinto look like a cd ejecting but then it flips and you are presente with a touch control video screen. will that ty os thin work in a 2005. it will fit is my guess. the mini is a single din. theu flip up is a single din aswell so it occupies the same space as every single din unit. so please talkto me of flip ups only thank you all very muc h