Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio SIRIUS installed in 10 minutes, for $180 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIRIUS installed in 10 minutes, for $180 !!!

[font=Arial]Using the SoundGate interface http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounkbmwsirv2.html[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]and the Kenwood KTC-SR903 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-02hWwNp...nfo&i=113SR903[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]and finally, don't forget the antenna... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UvFdynX...fa&I=113CXSR40[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
I removed the back panel on the passenger side to find the two connectors for the factory CD changer, plugged them into the SoundGate, used the big DIN cable that came with the Kenwood to connect the two, popped the magnetic antenna on the roof and activated on the internet in a minute. Less than ten minutes later, Sirius radio was playing through my factory HK head unit. I'll post more with pics in the next few days, but with the HK unit taking up most of that little space in the rear, there's NO WAY the Kenwood is going in there. I'll have to find another place for it.

For now, everything is just sitting there, hooked up and working without looking very pretty. The antenna wire will need to be routed through the gromet and everything else secured. But it works...bring on Howard!

Old 01-08-2005, 10:12 PM
cheiron19
2nd Gear
CD Pass Through . . .

Bob, do you have a CD player in the back too? It says there is a CD pass through on this unit and I was wondering if you had used that? Also, does the unit work with the steering wheel controls?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cheiron19
Bob, do you have a CD player in the back too? It says there is a CD pass through on this unit and I was wondering if you had used that? Also, does the unit work with the steering wheel controls?

Thanks!
NO, I don't have a CD changer, but the literature with the unit does state that it will work, so I would be certain that it would. The steering wheel controls DO work, because the factory head unit is still in play.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:36 PM
cooperdude
2nd Gear
Just a word of warning though. I first went this way and found that the soundgate adapter does not convert the text from the sirius tuner to what the factory radio will be able to display. Thus, any titles of the song or the name of the station you're listening to is unknown. I went the factory route instead. Much better.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:26 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stellardude
Just a word of warning though. I first went this way and found that the soundgate adapter does not convert the text from the sirius tuner to what the factory radio will be able to display. Thus, any titles of the song or the name of the station you're listening to is unknown. I went the factory route instead. Much better.
That was my question. I like the option of something other than the factory system to pump the Sirius into the HU, but if it doesn't display the Sirius text on the HU display then I think a plug and play unit might be a better option.

They're cheaper, also install quickly, and display the Sirius text...

Old 01-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
That was my question. I like the option of something other than the factory system to pump the Sirius into the HU, but if it doesn't display the Sirius text on the HU display then I think a plug and play unit might be a better option.

They're cheaper, also install quickly, and display the Sirius text...
I guess it depends on what you want. To me, the clean factory look was more important to me. I still would like the Sirius data, song titles etc. and I think a solution will be along soon, but for now I would rather live the way it is than have a clunky, add on tuner attached with a bracket that looks like an old hard wired car phone mount.

For what it's worth, Crutchfield told me that it's not the SoundGate or Blitzsafe adaptor, but rather the Kenwood tuner that does not display data.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bob ///Margolis
I guess it depends on what you want. To me, the clean factory look was more important to me. I still would like the Sirius data, song titles etc. and I think a solution will be along soon, but for now I would rather live the way it is than have a clunky, add on tuner attached with a bracket that looks like an old hard wired car phone mount.

For what it's worth, Crutchfield told me that it's not the SoundGate or Blitzsafe adaptor, but rather the Kenwood tuner that does not display data.
True, and my preference at this point is the cleaner look, and that comes from having a PnP unit for the last year and a half...

But I'm not sure I want to either pay a premium for it (MINI system) or sacrifice functionality (Kenwood/Soundgate). Especially when it's functionality I enjoy and use...

Old 01-11-2005, 11:04 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear

No its the adapter that wont pass the data.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:15 AM
rrypma
4th Gear
For me, Sirius is a way to be exposed to new music, and therefore a display is critical and a PNP device tucked neatly beneath the toggle switch bank serves this purpose well. The added functionality of such things as s-seek which memorizes songs that you would like it to remember for playback later or for your own reference I have found incredibly useful. If you're into top 40 and know all your artists, I suppose none of this may sound too attractive. Furthermore, if you do a little search, you can now find PNP devices free with a year of service.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
1Badseed
Neutral
Bob, Do you get the station Number on you factory head unit? I don't really care if I get the name of the song, but with 100+ chanels I'd like to know what station it is on.

Jon

Old 01-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1Badseed
Bob, Do you get the station Number on you factory head unit? I don't really care if I get the name of the song, but with 100+ chanels I'd like to know what station it is on.

Jon
YES, that's all you get though. It's not much different from an AM/FM radio that only displays the station number. There are also not any presets available. That feature would be nice. I usually listen to about 5-6 stations, and having to use the steering wheel control to move 70 stations up or down can kind of get old.

Through all of this, I still would not change to a plug and play unit that mounted somewhere awkward and looked add on.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:27 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
I just want to clarify.... this DOES work with the MFSW controls?

Old 01-14-2005, 01:45 PM
1Badseed
Neutral
Thanks, yea I dont like the look of a plug and play either.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JCampos
I just want to clarify.... this DOES work with the MFSW controls?
Absolutely. The volume control and the tuning both work. A short press changes one channel at a time and a long press moves rapidly up or down.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:24 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
but with the HK unit taking up most of that little space in the rear, there's NO WAY the Kenwood is going in there. I'll have to find another place for it.
I have H/K and OEM sirius. The HK is in the right boot and the sat tuner is in the left boot (I think you simply need to relocate the tool kit pouch), and the wire between the two is routed under the carpet.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
YES, that's all you get though. It's not much different from an AM/FM radio that only displays the station number. There are also not any presets available. That feature would be nice. I usually listen to about 5-6 stations, and having to use the steering wheel control to move 70 stations up or down can kind of get old.

Through all of this, I still would not change to a plug and play unit that mounted somewhere awkward and looked add on. .
Hey Bob - Do you get any additional info when you press the INF button? Not to hijack, but I just went the xm direct with blitzsafe route and by cycling through, with the INF button, can get the channel, artist and song.

Haven't figured out how to keep it there or have it scroll, but I can get it

Old 01-18-2005, 07:43 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Is the Soundgate and the MINI solution the only two possiblities for an integrated Sirius tuner?

Is there something priced between the MINI solution and the Soundgate that isn't the compromise in functionality needed with the Soundgate?

I've already got a PnP unit, while I'm not thrilled with the looks (or the loss of a 12v outlet) I'm not willing to compromise and loose the information display either.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:51 AM
cheiron19
2nd Gear
I'm going this route . . .

After talking to the dealer about the OEM Unit and how much it costs (quoted $525 without install), and the fact that it won't work with the OEM Navigation unit, this looks like the next best thing and the cheapest.

I'll be satisfied with just seeing the station number for now. Maybe Soundgate, or someone else, will come up with an inteface box that gives all the data at some point in the near future.

I read somewhere, not sure where, that some have taken off the rear spoiler and installed the antenna in the spoiler. This keeps it out of sight and looking cleaner then sticking it on the rear roof. Has anyone tried this here?

Old 01-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Averywo
2nd Gear
So the Official "Mini" Sirius radio is over $500?! Without install?! How much would it be with installation?

Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Wookie
4th Gear
I was quoted $680 installed from my dealer

What I don't know is if that includes a year subscription, I know some auto manufactures have that "bonus" to go with the dealer installed system

Old 01-20-2005, 12:40 PM
cheiron19
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Aaron_NH-MCS
I was quoted $680 installed from my dealer

What I don't know is if that includes a year subscription, I know some auto manufactures have that "bonus" to go with the dealer installed system
I was told that subscription was NOT included. It may be something your dealer may offer as an incentive to get you to install a option that cost over $600.00 though.

What is even more of an insult, is the installation is a no-brainer, for the most part all plug and play. The hardest part being routing the antenna wire to the roof for the Sat Radio, yet they charge you an outrageous amount of money for the install.

Jeez. . . .nothing like getting really sc***ed and not even getting a kiss from that good looking cashier!

Just seems a little steep for something you can get for less then $200 yourself. Of course you don't get the proprietary(sp?) interface module needed to give all of the info from the station, but for over $400.00 less, I'll take it.

BMW = Bring More Wampum

Old 01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by smokey4
Hey Bob - Do you get any additional info when you press the INF button? Not to hijack, but I just went the xm direct with blitzsafe route and by cycling through, with the INF button, can get the channel, artist and song.

Haven't figured out how to keep it there or have it scroll, but I can get it
No, you get no button functions on the head unit at all. Only volume and channel up and down and tone controls.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=mbabischkin]Is the Soundgate and the MINI solution the only two possiblities for an integrated Sirius tuner?

Is there something priced between the MINI solution and the Soundgate that isn't the compromise in functionality needed with the Soundgate?QUOTE]

As far as I have found, there is no other solution at this time. I've spoken to Crutchfield and to Logjam, they both told me the same thing.