Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Can a Hack / Mob be done to use an Apple Lightning Cable for Music Playback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:58 AM
mike91
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a Hack / Mob be done to use an Apple Lightning Cable for Music Playback?

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here, but have been using these threads for all sorts of things and they are so useful, so hopefully you can help.

I have been looking about the web trying to understand why I can use my normal iPhone 6 Lightning Cable with Mini Connect and all the features work fine (eg. gopro app) but the car wont let me use the cable for music?

I read this blog (link below) and this guys says you can use NCS Expert to change USB1_IPOD_AUDIO from analog to digital and this will work?

(LINK - http://jimmyselix.blogspot.co.uk/201...with-mini.html)

Can anyone shed anymore light on this before I embark down this road?

I have also been looking at this link from you guys. Awesome piece of work.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...xpert-diy.html

Can anyone tell if this is all up to date?

All comments welcome, and would love some feedback!

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:07 AM
JonZeke
1st Gear
Check out this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...front-usb.html

I need to get the cable, and get the software on this old work PC (I Only have Macs at home...) but this is going to be my first recode if it works. There's no reason to spend $90 on the crappy Y-cable (which crapped out in my '11 Countryman) if this works. However, you need to have Connected in your R55-60 to do this, i.e it won't work with a Mini without the Connected screen/module. Cerenkov did confirm it in the post above, so if you don't have Connected I don't know if there's a work around.

Anyone else go through the process of recoding their Connected-equipped Minis from analog to digital? Any downsides?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 PM
DSchmale
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many of the iPhone 4s had to have the music player open on the device. I'm not saying it will work - and you've probably already tried it - but open music on the phone while it's hooked up and see if anything comes to life.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:17 PM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Received 500 Likes on 349 Posts
Is this linked adapter cable the one needed? If so, I have one of no use to me which came with my 2014 BMW R1200RT last year which can be had (um the cable - not the moto)...

Old 06-19-2016, 09:08 PM
JonZeke
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MCS4FUN
Is this linked adapter cable the one needed? If so, I have one of no use to me which came with my 2014 BMW R1200RT last year which can be had (um the cable - not the moto)...

That cable has the old 30Pin, and owners of iPhones model 5, 6 and up need the small "lightning" connector instead. Some users have bought the expensive (from Apple only) 30pin-to-lightning adapter, but have mixed results in use.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by JonZeke
That cable has the old 30Pin, and owners of iPhones model 5, 6 and up need the small "lightning" connector instead. Some users have bought the expensive (from Apple only) 30pin-to-lightning adapter, but have mixed results in use.
If one already has the MINI cable, then Apple's $30 adapter is the path of least expense and resistance. Last I checked MINI was charging nearly $100 for their lightning adapter. :(

We use the apple + mini combo in my spouse's countryman. Sometimes it does indeed flake out. Fixing usually requires unplugging the MINI cable from the car and the Lightning connector from the phone; this powers down all the circuitry in the cables. (Yes, Apple's has one: a digital-to-analog converter chip!) Then reconnect, first car then phone. That almost always fixes it.

Except when it doesn't, of course. Finicky little bastard. Makes me so appreciative of the simple USB cable connection to my F55!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:15 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
outmotoring has the cable for $40

http://www.outmotoring.com/apple-int...lightning.html

Notice: With Apple's frequent updates, this cable may or may not be recognized or supported by your device. If you find that your device does not work with this cable, feel free to return it for a refund of the purchase price.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:17 PM
floydturbo
Neutral
Works

I have a 2011 MCC with HK audio and Connected with Nav. I used NCS Expert to change USB1_IPOD_AUDIO from analog to digital. I plug my iPhone 6s plus into the forward center USB port with just an Apple lightening cable and I can stream music from my phone to the stereo. It works.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:55 PM
nfo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by floydturbo
I have a 2011 MCC with HK audio and Connected with Nav. I used NCS Expert to change USB1_IPOD_AUDIO from analog to digital. I plug my iPhone 6s plus into the forward center USB port with just an Apple lightening cable and I can stream music from my phone to the stereo. It works.
Wow, I bet it sounds better too.. I need to do this! Forgive me, can you point me in the right direction to do this for an absolute noob regarding NCS?