Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical NCSExpert: MINI Connected, Audio Playback with iPhone 5 and up via Front USB

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:55 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
NCSExpert: MINI Connected, Audio Playback with iPhone 5 and up via Front USB

I can't remember if i've posted this or not but I thought it would be worth it since this saves a ton of us newer iPhone owners a TON of money on a cable we don't need from MINI to get MINI Connected and USB Audio from our iPhone's with Lightning ports working (iPhone 5/5S/6/6S and Plus).

REQUIREMENTS:
-MINI Connected in your MINI, may also work with just normal radio/headunits too. I have MINI Connected and HK sound.
-NCSExpert and basic skills
-OBD II cable

ISSUE: Connecting a lightning cable to front USB port on an R56/R58/R59/R60 shows iPhone but does not playback audio. Dealer will say you need their special Y cable; I have purchased several and none work still. The newer late 2015 version of MINI Connected may work.

RESOLUTION:
-Use NCSExpert and read your MEDIA module
-Find this entry:
USB1_IPOD_AUDIO
analog

and change the analog to digital so it is:
USB1_IPOD_AUDIO
digital

Recode the MEDIA file back with the option we changed and bam! You should be able to finally use just the standard Lightning sync cable with your iPhone and MINI to playback, charge and use mini connected via the factory cable.

Verified working on my 2013 R58 and iPhone 5S and iPhone 6Plus.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:49 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
---

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 PM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by walk0080
Interesting - thank you.

I suspect it will not work for cars without MINI Connected, but once I get NCSExpert setup I will give it a try on mine (H/K Audio with USB/Aux-In, MINI 30pin Cable, Apple 30pin/Lighting adapter, 30pin extension cable).
Please report back as soon as you find out if this works with non-Mini Connect. My Lightning adapter from  has finally given out, even after I wrapped it with shrink tubing. I refuse to buy another, as this one was replaced by  at the store. Right now I'm using a 30pin to bluetooth adapter for music, but I would love to be able to use a lightning/usb cable to keep the phone charging as well.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:09 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
People (like myself) that do NOT have MINI Connected do not have the MEDIA module. We have the 2RAD module and you cannot connect to this via NCS Expert (at least I haven't been able too).

Old 01-29-2016, 07:58 AM
NSXRebel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
People (like myself) that do NOT have MINI Connected do not have the MEDIA module. We have the 2RAD module and you cannot connect to this via NCS Expert (at least I haven't been able too).
Thank you

Old 06-14-2016, 11:31 AM
JonZeke
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jimmyselix

Verified working on my 2013 R58 and iPhone 5S and iPhone 6Plus.
Question:

I just ordered the cable and will be in process of starting to recode stuff in a couple weekends, but the big question I have is about this particular mod. Does the USB charge your iPhone 6?

Also, by switching to digital does it allow any video signal to come through? Apparently the 30pin old phones did, and everyone is of mind that the lightning doesn't carry a video signal. Just wanted to confirm that's still the case after changing the audio input code from analog to digital.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:58 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
USB charging works fine! :)

Originally Posted by JonZeke
Question:

I just ordered the cable and will be in process of starting to recode stuff in a couple weekends, but the big question I have is about this particular mod. Does the USB charge your iPhone 6?

Also, by switching to digital does it allow any video signal to come through? Apparently the 30pin old phones did, and everyone is of mind that the lightning doesn't carry a video signal. Just wanted to confirm that's still the case after changing the audio input code from analog to digital.

Thanks.
Yes sir! I use the front USB to charge my iPhone 6S Plus but use my iPhone 4S in the armrest dock for my music and video playback. Somedays though I do use my iPhone 6S for music since i have mobile data on it. I also have the older version of MINI Connected on my iPhone 4S that has dynamic music and the older apps that the new client doesn't and also then have my iPhone 6S Plus running the new MINI Connected so i can also choose between which MINI Connected apps i use depending on which of the iPhones have MINI Connected running.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:44 AM
sversus
Neutral
Working with iphone 7, but no longer since ios 11.1.1

Hey everyone,

Old thread but still useful so digging it up.

Confirms this works in 2017 with an iphone 7 connected via USB on a mini r56/r57. After coding, sound quality over USB is dramatically increased, and the spotify / mini connected integration allows to search your library easily and safely through the nav ****.

Great hack.

However since ios 11.1.1, no usb detection (iphone says device is not recognized and iphone doesnt show up in mini menu). Has anyone faced a similar issue and/or has resolution ? Cheers

Old 11-18-2017, 04:11 AM
sversus
Neutral
Update : USB working fine again with 11.1.2

Deleted iphone from BT list, updated to 11.1.2 and everything works again ! USB streaming and spotify accessibility on screen

Old 12-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Christos McClain
Neutral
Originally Posted by sversus
Hey everyone,

Old thread but still useful so digging it up.

Confirms this works in 2017 with an iphone 7 connected via USB on a mini r56/r57. After coding, sound quality over USB is dramatically increased, and the spotify / mini connected integration allows to search your library easily and safely through the nav ****.

Great hack.

However since ios 11.1.1, no usb detection (iphone says device is not recognized and iphone doesnt show up in mini menu). Has anyone faced a similar issue and/or has resolution ? Cheers
May I ask where you got your NCS Expert files from? I've looked up guides on this forum as well as a couple others and it always seems that I can get to a point where I can read several different modules except the Media module.