Aftermarket infotainment Options - Page 4 - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Navigation & Audio
Aftermarket infotainment Options >

Aftermarket infotainment Options

Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Aftermarket infotainment Options

Old 10-16-2018, 11:54 AM
treowx
Neutral
So my first attempt got deleted. I will try again without links.

Has anyone tried to use a ground loop isolator for the alternator whine feedback? I am thinking about ordering one of the nav units here soon.

Last edited by treowx; 10-16-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:58 AM
jiggersplat
1st Gear
I've had good luck with using those on other installs to get rid of alternator whine.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:00 PM
howiestt
1st Gear
carpecervisi, do your steering wheel controls work for other apps beside built in? Doesn't work with my carplay adapter and other music apps.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:26 PM
GeneralSpecific
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by carpecervisi View Post
I really like mine and think the sound quality is great...with the following caveat. Like others, I get serious feedback whine if my phone connects for a call via Bluetooth. I assume itís the crap quality mic that is *somewhere*. It could be interfering with a factory mic, but I donít think so. If my car had hands free prior to my upgrade, I never used it. And I just have the standard Boost stereo, not the HK with A-pillar speakers.

The stock ROM, as mentioned previously, doesnít have the speedometer in MPH, but you can load other ones that take that negative away. I will post some screenshots later because I really like my current set up.

One ding Iíll give the unit is support. Iíve exchanged several emails with them asking for the factory ROM (I thought I made a backup but damned if I can find it) and they either donít understand the request or are willfully not giving it to me. I canít find it anywhere online and donít want to brick it by loading an incompatible MCU.

A PX5 version of this head unit would be sweet, but Iíve never seen one. It performs very well, IMHO.

Good luck!
These aftermarket units don't use the car's mic, look around and you should see a hole on your unit, probably labeled "mic". To *vastly* improve your call quality, you'll need a secondary mic which can plug in to the back of the headunit. BUT, you also have to remove the built-in mic! Like, take apart the CD changer (in my case) and literally cut the crappy microphone out of it. If you attach a secondary mic, the headunit will still try and use the built-in mic AND the new mic. Have to remove the built-in one.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:26 PM
GeneralSpecific
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by howiestt View Post
carpecervisi, do your steering wheel controls work for other apps beside built in? Doesn't work with my carplay adapter and other music apps.
Mine only works with the built-in stuff AFAICT.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:08 PM
jiggersplat
1st Gear
Well I just pulled the trigger on an Android 8 version from Erisin. Fingers crossed. Feels a bit like gambling.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:03 PM
Kittz
Neutral
I am having a 8 Core Andriod unit installed in my r60 Countryman that had factory NAV as I type this.

Installer already called said the FM is ****...

But other stuff seems to work. I will post more when I pick the car up and test some things out.

Edit: Adding more info about the FM on my 8 core android head unit. I picked up the car and the FM works fine. Just as good as the OEM Nav unit was. The installer couldn't pick up stations in the install bay. But outside the building it works great. Also the MIC and bluetooth calling features works pretty darn good as well. There is a background humming when making a bluetooth call though - But nothing deal breaking.

Last edited by Kittz; 10-30-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 10-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kittz View Post
I am having a 8 Core Andriod unit installed in my r60 Countryman that had factory NAV as I type this.

Installer already called said the FM is ****...

But other stuff seems to work. I will post more when I pick the car up and test some things out.
can you post a link to the product you choose ?

Old 10-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Kittz
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post

can you post a link to the product you choose ?
It won't let me post a link. It doesn't get mod approval.

But I can tell you it works great. The FM radio has no problems - it is pretty crisp and clear. No complaints so far except I can't get apple car play to work

Backup camera is awesome too..

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (1.67 MB, 15 views)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Kittz
Neutral
I just managed to get Apple Car Play working!

Also - If anyone is having problem with FM you can try wiring the Antenna's blue wire to the amp CTRL wire in the harness. (Pic Below)

Try wiring FM antenna to the harness for FM problems

Last edited by Kittz; 10-31-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added pic and more info about FM
Old 11-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Jakomcbean
Neutral
Kittz, how did you manage to get CarPlay working? Might be worth the trouble if it works well. I dont lie the double DIN approach much.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 PM
jiggersplat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kittz View Post
Also - If anyone is having problem with FM you can try wiring the Antenna's blue wire to the amp CTRL wire in the harness. (Pic Below)

Try wiring FM antenna to the harness for FM problems
why would that help?