Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth & HUAWEI Phone

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bluetooth & HUAWEI Phone

I have a phone that will not connect via Bluetooth, is there any work around the issue?

Phone HUAWEI M570
MetroPCS Service

Cheap phone $40 a month plan.

As I understand it some phones work some do not. At this point a work around would be another phone or Bluetooth ear piece.

Car 2013 Coupe with Nav and Mini Connected. Yes, I know I should get an iPhone.

Anyone have issues? Interesting solutions?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Check to see what profiles the phone supports....
Are you trying to stream music? Or just use it as a phone? Both uses use different profiles.
"Bluetooth" is actually a list of MANY different profiles....
I'm thinking as a workaround, you could get dongle you plug into the headphone jack of the phone...(were semi common in the days before Bluetooth was in most phones)....plug it in in the car....so you use the Bluetooth in the dongle....rather than the phone, which apparently is not 100% standard.
Good luck!!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Thanks

Never thought about trying the dongle approach. I use the phone for just calls. I don't get many, mostly the wife calling me to see when I will get home.

Which is why I don't have a iPhone. A bit expensive for a few calls from the wife.

I don't text. I have an iTouch plugged into car for music. Love the iTouch via Wifi in the house. Old iTouch stays in the car and new one with me. Never had a smart phone, but for me iTouch works fine.

It really never occurred to me that phones and bluetooth would be incompatible. I thought bluetooth was like USB, it works. Sorry, I am old 51 here.

Now I understand why so many are fiddling with phones in cars. If only half of them worked that leaves the rest of us with phones, bluetooth and no hands free. Which is a major problem.

I am just glad I don't have this issue using WiFi. Would hate not being able to connect to half the WIFI hotspots because of incompatibility.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
If you only need it as a phone...to be hands free...
You might find one of the old style hands free things that looks like a pack of cigarettes... You attwtch it to your sunvisor...and it links with Bluetooth to your phone......or just wear an earpiece... I do..looks funky...I don't talk much..same as you, but safe. I have a plantronics pro.
I'm not sure if you can connect both the touch and a phone at the same time...
Try pairing it with the touch not connected?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Bluetooth

I will try without the Touch connected. Also helps to be out of the garage too.

That box idea would be a great work around. Some have complained about Mini Bluetooth quality. I don't talk that much but have used it on the other phone. (Cheap Flip Phone previous worked fine in Mini)

I could go back to the store and switch phones, new phone, go back to old phone. Wife's phone works in her new Mini. I'll try wife's phone in my Mini as we got the phones (cheap) at MetroPCS.

I was looking for a cheap no contract plan. Family Plan and costs $70 a month. I don't use my phone much but the wife, well, she talks all the time. So a phone with few minutes would not work for her.

I could get away with that but you have to buy minutes per month and then loose unused minutes at the end of the month I think.

I am no expert on phones and plans. Actually, I find them annoying. And I guess I am cheap. I work as an accountant in industry and don't need a phone for my work unless looking for a job.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why is this in the 1st Gen section?

The first step, before confusing yourself with BT audio and iPhones, is to complete the pairing process. this is a one time step. Follow the instructions in the vehicle owners manual to the letter, and complete the pairing. If you cannot pair, please post a list of what happens when you go though the steps in the manual, both on the vehicle and the phone side.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Amazon.com: SuperTooth Z004098E Crystal Portable Visor Bluetooth Car Kit and Speakerphone for all Apple iPads/iPhone and most Cell Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: SuperTooth Z004098E Crystal Portable Visor Bluetooth Car Kit and Speakerphone for all Apple iPads/iPhone and most Cell Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Something like this might work great.....
no actual experience with this item...seen a few for 20-40$ ...simple work around if you like your setup with the touch...once you are in the apple eco-system, switching to an Android smartphone phone can be a pain...depending on how much music you have bought with i-tunes...
YOU CAN convert the copy protected files using i-tunes match to unprotected higher bit rate files for $20...one time fee, and export your stuff...

One tip...not sure where you are, but T-moible has a 100 minutes, unlimted text/web plan for about $30 a months...you supply the phone...a nexus android or used i-phone, unlocked, costs under $200..just pop in the sim card....but some area their service is poor..just depends on where you are.
It is a plan they don't not advertise....but know a few folks that have it...they still offer it....but with no contract, it is a good deal...you just have to supply an unlocked GSM compatible phone/buy one at full price.
I know exactly what you mean about hating to spend $$$ on a monthly phone/contract to get like 4 calls a week.....

Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Tips

Zippy

Thanks for all the tips.

I did call MiniConnected from the MiniUSA site and they do not support the phone.

Or better said, it is an untested phone may or may not work. Nothing to loose sleep over. For now I email wife when I leave work.

Love the Mini, no complaints.