Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio H/K speaker noise. broke? in 3months??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 07:59 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, first of all. I'm not a boom box lover. and i dont roll down my window try to let other people hear my "collection"

I'm a blue and opera fan. never push my H/K to the limit.

Today i found noise came from right lower speaker. i check again tonight, it seems the speaker is on the way to broke.

Is it a quality issue? will dealer fix this?? it is weekend now i can not reach anyone in the dealer!
anyone has same issue??? how did it go??

Help and opinion needed!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2004, 08:29 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice combination, blues and opera. It ain't over till the fat lady sings the blues.

I think there are several threads discussing speaker problems with the HK system.

I got the standard stereo and I don't think too highly of it. I'd say get your dealer to replace the suspect speaker as soon as you get a chance. It should certainly be covered by the warranty.

What kind of blues do you prefer?

R.E.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:34 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Sounds like you were doing normal stuff and the speaker blew.
Report it to your service rep and get it replaced under warranty.
Just say you think the speaker is defective.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:36 PM
C4
Banned
Haven't had any problems with the HK system in my '04 MCS. I took delivery of the car exactly 3 months ago today.

Old 01-04-2004, 05:12 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
You sure it's the speaker itself? Lots of HK owners report that their speaker rattles against the back of the speaker grill. Some felt tape will cure it if that's the problem.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:45 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I sometimes listen to my HK full on and have heard my driver's side lock buzzing. Lately, I've developed a strange destortion that I thought was the speakers failing. Friday at 10, I listen to Chuck Horn program on WDET...Underworld, mmmm-skyscaper I love you. I was in my garage because it was crappy out and found the two access panels in my boot were rattling. Took them out. Problem solved

Try doing a sound check while parked in your garage with the system up and poke around the Mini. You'd be surprised where the buzz is coming from. The HK is pretty stought

Oh yeah...Blues/Opera...I can relate to that...I'm House/Classical/Jazz/Blues/HP/R&B....everything sounds good with Mini HK. That's when I'm going straight and steady. At WOT, the HK get shut down.

Sid

Old 01-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
There are typically TWO different rattles with the H/K. First, the door card rattles up against the sheetmetal. Second, the voice coil is rubbing against the magnet, creating a similar "rattling" sound. Your warranty will cover the bad speaker, and if you're lucky the dealership will "felt" your door card.

Good luck,
Ryan

Old 01-04-2004, 06:22 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
haha it seems people had some comments about my Blue and opera hobby.

I'm a guy listen different music in a different mood. lately has been a blue and opera season. went to a opera before new year, so just touch base a little bit with the classics.

Mine is for sure a speaker failure i park in the parking lot at my work place i turn up the music and get my ear close to the speaker, i can hear the noise came from the speaker, felt like someone been use it for the football game! haha(not very funny to me)

I might wait and see what new development will happen in the future week or two. i got a steering wheel rattle too(weired)!!

Old 03-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
My front right HK speaker is rattling too, when I had it in for the 10k service this saturday I told them about it and all they did was felt tape something and called it fixed, well it was fixed for a day then it came back. It doesnt just rattle when there's music playing either, it rattles whenever I drive around, and it doesnt take much to get it to rattle. So will I need the speaker replaced as well?