R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2006 r53 pissing coolant YET AGAIN! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:39 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 r53 pissing coolant YET AGAIN! HELP

Hey MINIacs, as some of you know I broke down on Pikes Peak in CO about 6 months ago due to a lower coolant hose letting loose and dropping all the coolant. I had the BMW dealer in Colorado Springs fix it up and I drove it back with no problems to Manhattan, KS. A few months later I drove Barnaby to Kansas City Baron MINI and they did a inspection, oil change, and put some new tires on him. I got the car home with a HUGE list of worn and items that need replacing. I ordered all those parts and more for about $1100 from Way and ECS. Fast forward to the day the packages came in I went picked them up drove to my apartment and parked the car. I come out no more than 5 min later to all the coolant out of my car again SEE PIC. I live in a apartment now and have no tools to do the work.. WHAT DO I DO NOW? And what does everyone think it is? I am tempted to order new hoses (silicone and clamps) but not sure if this is the fix or what I can do. Thanks all in advance

Old 09-30-2015, 08:34 PM
MINI Stupor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it leaking from the coolant tank seams? That would be an easy fix and a known area for coolant leaks.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI Stupor
Is it leaking from the coolant tank seams? That would be an easy fix and a known area for coolant leaks.
Nope check the coolant tank and cap and they are both fine. I have a whole coolant kit including a tank, water pump etc from ecs just waiting to be installed but I'm afraid it might be hoses now?

Old 10-01-2015, 05:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Just saw this, sorry to see this :( , could be the connection flange at the water pump, the waterpump itself, or the hose near the water pumped based on location.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-mcs-only.html

If you dont have the tools I would get it to an indy shop and show them the reapir and see where the leak is, could be a flange or hose or that WP.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It could be leaking from a number of places, including the pump, the thermostat housing or the radiator. Take a flashlight and look for moisture around the radiator and on the driver's side of the cylinder head. Follow the water and you'll find the leak.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Khai
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was leaking from a broken water hose connector (the plastic was cracked.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/291911-coolant-leak-help.html

This is the thread and it shows the parts I was talking about.

Could be that you have a cracked plastic fitting like I did, just a bigger crack?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:45 AM
bansasn
2nd Gear
I'm betting it's the connection flange 0-ring need to replace. Either it is harden or cracked. A very cheap part to replace but not the labor work. Happens to me. While you have everything out might as well change the water pump to.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Just saw this, sorry to see this :( , could be the connection flange at the water pump, the waterpump itself, or the hose near the water pumped based on location.

If you dont have the tools I would get it to an indy shop and show them the reapir and see where the leak is, could be a flange or hose or that WP.
Is the connection flange something that needs to be ordered or will it be taken care of with a new water pump?

I had already picked up the coolant refresh kit from you a week prior to this happening so already have the water pump kit, thermostat with housing, and coolant tank all ready to install as soon as I get this figured out. I am thinking hoses next?

Originally Posted by Helix13mini
It could be leaking from a number of places, including the pump, the thermostat housing or the radiator. Take a flashlight and look for moisture around the radiator and on the driver's side of the cylinder head. Follow the water and you'll find the leak.
I am going to go out there this weekend and see if I can locate it. Without a lift or jack and limited tools this is quite hard. I have been riding the old bicycle to work and school and let me tell you 16 miles a day sucks! My *** is a little sore to say the least!

Originally Posted by Khai
Mine was leaking from a broken water hose connector (the plastic was cracked.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...leak-help.html

This is the thread and it shows the parts I was talking about.

Could be that you have a cracked plastic fitting like I did, just a bigger crack?
Ok thanks I have that part all ready to go and install once I get new hoses

Originally Posted by bansasn
I'm betting it's the connection flange 0-ring need to replace. Either it is harden or cracked. A very cheap part to replace but not the labor work. Happens to me. While you have everything out might as well change the water pump to.
Where exactly is this O ring located? And yep I am redoing the whole coolant system while I am in there just might need a hose kit now??

Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 PM
bansasn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Is the connection flange something that needs to be ordered or will it be taken care of with a new water pump?

I had already picked up the coolant refresh kit from you a week prior to this happening so already have the water pump kit, thermostat with housing, and coolant tank all ready to install as soon as I get this figured out. I am thinking hoses next?

I am going to go out there this weekend and see if I can locate it. Without a lift or jack and limited tools this is quite hard. I have been riding the old bicycle to work and school and let me tell you 16 miles a day sucks! My *** is a little sore to say the least!

Ok thanks I have that part all ready to go and install once I get new hoses

Where exactly is this O ring located? And yep I am redoing the whole coolant system while I am in there just might need a hose kit now??

When your in there. Be very careful with the two hard plastic vacuum hoses that connected to the big black plastic hose.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:36 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bansasn

When your in there. Be very careful with the two hard plastic vacuum hoses that connected to the big black plastic hose.
Got it thanks! Really appreciate it. I still havent even had time to go in there yet.

Any other suggestions? ANYONE!?

Old 10-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If I were you, I'd start with this: get a gallon or two of distilled water; fill up and bleed the coolant system and leave the reservoir cap on tight - you'll need pressure to check the system. If the leak is so bad that the coolant/water just runs out of it, don't drive it! Just get it towed to a mechanic. If it does hold coolant for a limited time...

Depending on how dirty or grimy the coolant flow areas are, get it to a "pay and spray" carwash and blast those areas as clean as you can.

Top off the coolant reservoir again with distilled water; put the cap on tightly.

Let the warmed-up and cleaned engine idle, and watch it with a bright flashlight: with the A/C off (so the fan doesn't automatically come on) look at the reservoir; look at the radiator hoses; look at the thermostat housing where it meets the block (a known gasket issue); top off the reservoir again (but always put the cap back on tightly); have someone rev the engine or rev the engine by hand if you can... Keep your eye on the idiot-light temp gauge inside the car; keep it hot, but don't let the temp get too high. The leak should make itself known.

Also, it's hard to see anything from underneath with that plastic "skid plate" in place. A small/stubby phillips and a 10mm (8mm?) socket will get it out of the way so you can more easily see where the drips are coming from. Hell, if you can't jack it up you can always drive one side of the car up on to a curb so you can crawl underneath somewhat.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Filmy
If I were you, I'd start with this: get a gallon or two of distilled water; fill up and bleed the coolant system and leave the reservoir cap on tight - you'll need pressure to check the system. If the leak is so bad that the coolant/water just runs out of it, don't drive it! Just get it towed to a mechanic. If it does hold coolant for a limited time...
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I was able to try filling it back up and it all just pissed out again after no more than 2 mins. I think its a hose but I am not sure 100% I got USAA to tow it free down the street to a mechanic in town they are going to look at it this week but I am worried because they havent had to much experience with a MINI. Also need help deciding what clamps and hoses to get next I am thinking silicone but have an automatic so I dont know if the silicone kits fit an automatic. ANYONE??

Old 10-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I would like this information also...if anyone has it. As always, TIA...

Old 10-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
I would like this information also...if anyone has it. As always, TIA...
Mike from ECS is helping me via PM I will keep you posted as I figure out what and when I am going to do all this conversion etc

Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I was able to try filling it back up and it all just pissed out again after no more than 2 mins.
Was this "pissing" done with the engine running or not? It's possible that the shop that did the previous repair didn't put the hose/clamp on correctly. This happened to me in Austin: went in to the Mini dealer for a proper coolant flush; after moving to LA a few months later, one of my hoses started blowing steam and coolant - from where the tech neglected to put the hose clamp back on. Happily, the Austin dealership paid for the local LA dealership to replace the coolant and hose clamp at no charge to me.

Silicone hoses...? I dunno, I think they're overkill for a daily driver - and too expensive. And unless they're black, I neither care for the bright colors of most of them (in any car).

There's nothing special about Minis when it comes to hoses and coolant. Any indy shop should be able to easily diagnose the leak problem.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Was this "pissing" done with the engine running or not? It's possible that the shop that did the previous repair didn't put the hose/clamp on correctly. This happened to me in Austin: went in to the Mini dealer for a proper coolant flush; after moving to LA a few months later, one of my hoses started blowing steam and coolant - from where the tech neglected to put the hose clamp back on. Happily, the Austin dealership paid for the local LA dealership to replace the coolant and hose clamp at no charge to me.

Silicone hoses...? I dunno, I think they're overkill for a daily driver - and too expensive. And unless they're black, I neither care for the bright colors of most of them (in any car).

There's nothing special about Minis when it comes to hoses and coolant. Any indy shop should be able to easily diagnose the leak problem.
The initial pissing was about 5-10 min after the car was parked in my driveway. The only thing I did different that day that I can remember now is that I hit a pot hole/bump when I was pulling onto the street and sorta bottomed the front end onto it. I am wondering if that knocked the hose or clamp off. I am really hoping that didnt hurt the radiator or worse..I will know more tmrw or this week when they take a look. Yea I was told the rubber ones crack easily over time and it is my goal to reach 300k in this thing. So I was just thinking long run!

Old 10-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Yes, I noted the "original pissing." I'm asking about the recent refill and, "I was able to try filling it back up and it all just pissed out again after no more than 2 mins." It probably won't matter since you're getting it looked at by a shop, but there's a difference if water/coolant is simply running out of the system when the engine's not running vs when it is running. IOW, whether or not the water (coolant) pump is pushing it out or is it just gravity. That distinction would tell you how big a hole (leak) you have.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:32 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Yes, I noted the "original pissing." I'm asking about the recent refill and, "I was able to try filling it back up and it all just pissed out again after no more than 2 mins." It probably won't matter since you're getting it looked at by a shop, but there's a difference if water/coolant is simply running out of the system when the engine's not running vs when it is running. IOW, whether or not the water (coolant) pump is pushing it out or is it just gravity. That distinction would tell you how big a hole (leak) you have.
Oh I am sorry I misunderstood your question. The second refill was the same as the first, pissed out right after the car was turned off.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
UPDATE: I received a call today from the local car repair shop. He said without taking it all apart he has been able to "so far" diagnose it needs a new water pump. I have the water pump replacement kit from ECS I will be dropping off this evening complete with pump, thermostat, gasket, hosing, and coolant etc. He said that in order to get to the waterpump and replace it he needs to remove the supercharger?? I wasn't sure if this was right or not? Also said until he takes the front end off he cant see the hoses or if any of them are leaking. He was asking 800 for the labor and parts but I am dropping off all my parts today dropping the price to 400 for labor..Any thoughts? Or things I should look out for?

Old 10-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
UPDATE: I received a call today from the local car repair shop. He said without taking it all apart he has been able to "so far" diagnose it needs a new water pump. I have the water pump replacement kit from ECS I will be dropping off this evening complete with pump, thermostat, gasket, hosing, and coolant etc. He said that in order to get to the waterpump and replace it he needs to remove the supercharger?? I wasn't sure if this was right or not? Also said until he takes the front end off he cant see the hoses or if any of them are leaking. He was asking 800 for the labor and parts but I am dropping off all my parts today dropping the price to 400 for labor..Any thoughts? Or things I should look out for?
Yes, I believe the S/C has to come off - and that's no small feat. $400 in labor sounds pretty conservative to me. Be prepared to have that raised when they finally figure out what they're in for.

And seriously - once they get the lower plastic "skid plate" off from underneath, they'll be able to see a lot more. Putting the Mini into service mode can move the (still connected) radiator just a little bit forward, but not much.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Yes, I believe the S/C has to come off - and that's no small feat. $400 in labor sounds pretty conservative to me. Be prepared to have that raised when they finally figure out what they're in for.

And seriously - once they get the lower plastic "skid plate" off from underneath, they'll be able to see a lot more. Putting the Mini into service mode can move the (still connected) radiator just a little bit forward, but not much.
This car is going to make me go bankrupt haha

I will be providing all the parts to keep the price down but I am hoping thats all it is. Do you think I should just replace all the hoses while im in there as the whole rest of the coolant system will be new?

And also I was wondering if while the super charger is off it should have the oil changed and be serviced?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:12 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are going to spend the money to have the supercharger removed to install a water pump. You should have them inspect the gears and refill the oil in the supercharger. You can get the lube from a gm dealer or Amazon. I would have the hoses replaced while you are at it. Especially since you are paying labor. It won't be much more labor to replace the hoses.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gpwpat
If you are going to spend the money to have the supercharger removed to install a water pump. You should have them inspect the gears and refill the oil in the supercharger. You can get the lube from a gm dealer or Amazon. I would have the hoses replaced while you are at it. Especially since you are paying labor. It won't be much more labor to replace the hoses.
Sounds like a plan. Is it GM Part number 12345982 for the oil? Yea figured that do you think I should get the stock OEM hoses or the silicone ones? Also I have a new bypass valve I should have him install it while hes in the same area no?

Old 10-07-2015, 05:23 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
...He said that in order to get to the waterpump and replace it he needs to remove the supercharger??
FYI... There's a step by step here on how to replace the water pump without removal of the super charger.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
FYI... There's a step by step here on how to replace the water pump without removal of the super charger.
Thank you I appreciate that but it looks like I need to service the supercharger at the same time so I will just have them remove it. It has never been serviced or even checked and I have 136k on it no

Quick Reply: R50/53 2006 r53 pissing coolant YET AGAIN! HELP