Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Mini Connected Stereo Questions- How many iPods and where?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Club Chapin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Connected Stereo Questions- How many iPods and where?

I'm waiting to buy a 2011 until Mini Connected is available in the US.

Are there published specs somewhere? The main thin I am hoping to find out is how many ipod/phones can be connected via USB and A2DP. I'd like to be able to connect a 160GB iPod USB for music and leave in the car (glove box or secret compartment) and be able to connect another A2DP for phone, podcasts and additional music or via USB (arm rest and dash [GF would prefer no arm rest]).

How many USB ports are there? Where are they located?

How many analog AUX ports are there? Where are they located?

Is there a port difference between Connected and Connected+Nav?

I've seen reference to a Glovebox USB port for updating nav. Could this port also be used for an ipod for music?

Will Connected bring ipod artwork onto the color screen?

Will Connected work with my Blackberry out of the gate via USB and A2DP for music playback and voice, as Microsoft Sync does in Fords?

Thanks, Pete

Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it comes, I'd bet it can connect to only a single device at a time

Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Club Chapin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
If it comes, I'd bet it can connect to only a single device at a time
That would be unfortunate. At a minimum, it would be nice to have one for music and another for voice.

I think that the current system (2010) supports this, with a USB connected iPod for music and a bluetooth voice device.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
There's a document for MINI Connected, but I can't tell if it answers your question: http://www.mini.com/com/en/connectiv...nnected_EN.pdf

Old 08-30-2010, 05:40 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Club Chapin
I'm waiting to buy a 2011 until Mini Connected is available in the US.

Are there published specs somewhere? The main thin I am hoping to find out is how many ipod/phones can be connected via USB and A2DP. I'd like to be able to connect a 160GB iPod USB for music and leave in the car (glove box or secret compartment) and be able to connect another A2DP for phone, podcasts and additional music or via USB (arm rest and dash [GF would prefer no arm rest]).
A2DP is not supported for audio on the MINI Connected system. Buletooh is ONLY used for telephone (handsfree) connection.

How many USB ports are there? Where are they located?
Depending on options and model up to 2 USB ports are available. One in the dash and one in the arm rest or center rail (Countryman)

How many analog AUX ports are there? Where are they located?
One AUX port is available and that is in the dash.

Is there a port difference between Connected and Connected+Nav?
No

I've seen reference to a Glovebox USB port for updating nav. Could this port also be used for an ipod for music?
No real specs on this have been released by MINI the Countryman i have seen and had the pleasure to play with was very similar to the current system with a DVD for NAV. With that said the system may change from that. But if there is a USB port for NAV update it will be STRICTLY for that only.

Will Connected bring ipod artwork onto the color screen?
Not on the one I have seen, Laws in the USA, Canada and some other countries prohibit this type of thing on from view screens in vehicles.

Will Connected work with my Blackberry out of the gate via USB and A2DP for music playback and voice, as Microsoft Sync does in Fords?
No A2DP is not supported. As for a basic bluetooth connection it should work with the blackberry but only for calls and phonebook. Other options of MINI Connected such as Web Radio, News, and Twitter with only work with the iPhone 3GS or 4.

Now with all of that said here are a few other notes. If there are 2 USB ports only one can function at a time. So if there is something connected to the one in the dash and the car recognizes it then the one in the arm rest will not work (Or if the one in the arm rest is connected first then the one in the dash will not work), but if one of them is being used only for charging of a devise and not data has been transfered between said device and car then the second one will work.

MINI connected feature like News and Twitter may be outlawed as they are very similar to texting. a few states have made this illegal and more are on there way to doing so. Other states such as Maine have devised laws that make it illegal to "Be Distracted" I.E. that covers a whole host of things that include shaving, putting on make up, texting, trying to find something that fell on the floor of the car, changing the radio station etc. So many of the systems that bring content to your car may very well be required to be disabled in the near future. This is unfortunate.

Now on thing that could be done on the 07 to 10 vehilces without MINI Connected was that you could have Both types of iPod connectors in the car. USB and Basic iPod Connection (the one in the secret compartment) and they both would work. But i don't think the Basic connection will be available on the MINI Connected cars, it seems they have done away with it.

Hopefully this answers all your questions and if not you can ask more.

Last edited by schatzy62; 08-30-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Club Chapin
2nd Gear
Schatzy:

Thanks for all of the info.

Do you know if a USB port can be added in the secret compartment? I know this was an option (dealer installed maybe?) on the 2010 HK system.

We are hoping to order our 2011 without an armrest. Will Connected work via any of the USB ports, or does it need to be connected in the arm rest?

Will connected work via blue tooth?

Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
MINI connected feature like News and Twitter may be outlawed as they are very similar to texting. a few states have made this illegal and more are on there way to doing so. Other states such as Maine have devised laws that make it illegal to "Be Distracted" I.E. that covers a whole host of things that include shaving, putting on make up, texting, trying to find something that fell on the floor of the car, changing the radio station etc. So many of the systems that bring content to your car may very well be required to be disabled in the near future. This is unfortunate.
The description on MotoringFile was that you can only read material while the car is stopped. However, while in motion you can receive notifications and listen to the content through text-to-voice technology.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by rkw
The description on MotoringFile was that you can only read material while the car is stopped. However, while in motion you can receive notifications and listen to the content through text-to-voice technology.
Unfortunately this may not be the case when the final is released. I have heard rumors that at least two states are working on laws regarding the text to voice usage of Text Messaging and if the laws are passed then this will not be available as it would be considered "Texting" and one state (IL) has considered a total ban on cell phone usage in moving cars.

There currently are 23+ states that ban the total use of cell phone for new drivers under the age of 18. And two states Illinois and Texas have banned the use of cell phones by anyone driving in School Zones and Illinois has banned cell phone use by anyone in construction areas as well.

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with the laws, just stating the facts of what the laws say and also stating that it will probably affect how or when these features can be used.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Schatzy:

Thanks for all of the info.

Do you know if a USB port can be added in the secret compartment? I know this was an option (dealer installed maybe?) on the 2010 HK system.
THis was not a USB port is was a separate input that would accept a Multi Disk CD player or an iPod interface. The interface is not the greatest and you had the availability of 6 play lists and not much more.

We are hoping to order our 2011 without an armrest. Will Connected work via any of the USB ports, or does it need to be connected in the arm rest?
Connected is only available thru the USB ports either one should work as they are both basically the same connection, so no arm rest should be required. Again things my change by the time it is officially released.

Will connected work via blue tooth?
Again bluetooth ONLY supports the "hands free" profile under the bluetooth specification so it can do voice for a telephone call and transfer a phone book to the car, nothing else.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:21 PM
ehicky8
Neutral
I didn't see a follow up on this, so it might already have been cleared up...but the 2011 Mini with Visual Boost will stream music via A2DP (mp3, Internet Radio, Slacker, Pandora, etc).

I have one of the 2011 MCS cars that was sent to the US market before our Mini Connected software was ready, but with all the components. See: http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/09/...omment-page-1/

Internet streaming music is handy, but will be great for Connected users when it is controllable via the Mini interface.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Club Chapin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ehicky8
I didn't see a follow up on this, so it might already have been cleared up...but the 2011 Mini with Visual Boost will stream music via A2DP (mp3, Internet Radio, Slacker, Pandora, etc).
I have just taken delivery of a Connected car. Not having an iPhone, I can confirm that A2DP does work with connected as well. After the confusion I've seen on Connected features, I am glad this works.