Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Satellite Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Miniature
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone out there had luck mounting a satellite radio antenna INSIDE (yes, inside) the MC or MCS? I'd love to get satellite radio, but I am not much of a fan for adding another antenna to the roof. Can you successfully mount out of sight and still get quality reception?

Miniature

Old 12-03-2003, 07:51 AM
minidreamin
1st Gear
I have the antenna mounted to the dash. I just put some double sided tape to the bottom and placed it in the center of the dash next to the windshield. There have been some dropouts in the signal, but nothing I can't live with.

Old 12-03-2003, 08:16 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I had mine on the dash for a few days, but the reception wasn't as good as on the roof. I live in a very hilly area though, so a dash location may work fine for you.

Old 12-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
People have written about successes (and failures) of mounting the antennas on the dash, under the dash pad, inside the sunroof and even under the cowl vents. These positions depend on the type of antenna you are using. The small pendant-type inside antennas can tuck in some small places, but cant be used outside the car because of weather exposure.

Old 12-03-2003, 08:50 AM
hafid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to remember the point of adding the antenna on the roof is because it attaches to sheet metal and uses the roof of the car as an antenna now to greatly enhance the reception so that trees, buildings, and partially covered areas do not affect the signal. Mine is on the roof and it's such a strong magnet it's not going anywhere nor does it make any noise.

If you don't mind the occasional dropout from adding it to your dash, then that's completely fine, but I think you should consider putting it on the roof.

haf :smile:

Old 12-03-2003, 01:12 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Dash mount might not be a problem with Sirius. However, XM is another issue..........

A major contributor to the XM reception quality is relative location to the satellites. Because the 2 transmitting satellites are located closer to the equator, the reception will be compromised as you travel north (i.e. Washington, Maine, Vermont, Canada). However, if you're in a large city where there are many repeaters, it might not be a major problem unless traveling outside of the city.

I had my antenna on the roof when I lived in Seattle area. Its location is relatively north to other states and surrounded by mountains, I did experienced drop outs more frequently than what I would like. :smile:

Old 12-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Miniature
2nd Gear
These are all very informative responses. Thanks. I live in FLAT, FLAT, FLAT North Central Florida, relatively close to the equator (at least compared to Seattle!!!) I was unaware that the roof ends up acting as a type of antenna amplifier for it. Hmmm, I wonder if there is any way to get it attached to the INSIDE of the roof (attached to the metal)? I am sunroofless, so disassembly/access might be too tricky.

Miniature

Old 12-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mounting it under the metal roof wont work; the metal will shield the signal entirely. In your area you'd probably be fine with the antenna somewhere on the dashboard.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:44 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
If you're in Florida, mounting it on the dash shouldn't be a problem. Usually there are repeaters in the larger cities to facilitate reception. On the other hand, if you're in a remote area, the antenna receive its signal directly from the satellites. :smile: