Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod integration choice for a weirdo like me

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 AM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod integration choice for a weirdo like me

Hi all:

Ever since I found my Mini, and while I am awaiting picking it up, I have been searching and reading about iPod integration. But everything I read about has its problems. The Dice unit goes all wonky if you leave your ipod connected all the time; the OEM unit is limited (in what way I don't know); and Aux is very susceptible to GLInterference.

I even posted a little about this when I was looking for answers in general about buying a Mini - and some said Dice was the only way to go. I'm not so sure now after reading the whole Dice Q&A thread.

I am leaning toward just using Aux for audio and the cig lighter for power, and putting in a ground loop filter for the inevitable whine... Should be simple and reliable - hell, I used a cassette adapter from the headphone jack, in my Mercedes. What I want, though, is to revisit why Dice or OEM might or might not be better for me.

1. I plan to leave the iPod in the car and connected nearly 100% of the time; I only bring it inside once in a blue moon. The Dice unit seems to have a problem with this when the iPod hits deep-sleep mode. That's a strike against the Dice, and with its higher cost (if i remember right) i'd expect 100% trouble-free operation 100% of the time.

2. I don't need playlist capability, 99% of the time. I believe I read the OEM adaptor forces one to make playlists just to listen at all in the car? Is that correct?

3. I don't mind using the ipod itself to control the ipod navigation, but I also like the potential of having the text on the HU and controls on the MFSW, which I know the Dice does. Does the OEM show artist and song on the HU?

4. Speaking of control - with the OEM, can I just leave my iPod in Shuffle mode and use the MFSW to skip to the next random track? (this is kind of a hybrid of #2 and #3)

Again, my leaning is toward the absolute bare necessity - using the aux jack and controlling the ipod itself - but if I can be assured of the other options' stability and flexibility I might look deeper into them. At any rate, I also have a 4th option, the Alpine iDA-X100 HU, but that'd be a little further down the road.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by daveonbass; 10-19-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
jsharra
3rd Gear
I don't have complete answers to your questions (never used Dice). But here are a couple attempts:
1. I'm assuming you're talking about a new MINI. I have the OEM integration (the Y cable), and it's been erratic. Sometimes if I leave the iPod attached while it's parked, everything's fine, and sometimes I come back and discover the iPod's battery is completely discharged.
2. Playlists aren't required (they were on my '04 MCS), but they are handy. It takes forever to scroll with the radio interface.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 AM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jsharra
I don't have complete answers to your questions (never used Dice). But here are a couple attempts:
1. I'm assuming you're talking about a new MINI. I have the OEM integration (the Y cable), and it's been erratic. Sometimes if I leave the iPod attached while it's parked, everything's fine, and sometimes I come back and discover the iPod's battery is completely discharged.
2. Playlists aren't required (they were on my '04 MCS), but they are handy. It takes forever to scroll with the radio interface.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
Posted in first gen forum because I'm getting an 05 MCS... I assume this reverts answer #2 to "yes, playlists are required"?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
jsharra
3rd Gear
Sorry about that. I got to your post from gomotoring.com, and they don't post what forum it came from. In my '04, I had to use playlists, MINI1 through MINI5, but at least smart playlists work. Also the old interface always worked, which is better than the erratic current version.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by daveonbass
I am leaning toward just using Aux for audio and the cig lighter for power, and putting in a ground loop filter for the inevitable whine... ....
I have the same feeling as you but I have been using the Aux Input for years and there is no whine. None that I have ever heard and I do think I would have.

Rich

Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 PM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Question: when plugging in the Aux, do I have to remove the 6-disc plug? Can I do this "by feel" without pulling the radio, just as I could without the 6-disc being attached?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
sBox
2nd Gear
I know what you mean by the DICE box acting wonky. I have an old 2nd gen iPod Nano I used to use with it. Interestingly, I don't have these problems with my 3G iPhone. When I first plugged it in it said 'this device is not made for this connection' or something, but with the 3.x iPhone firmware it doesn't come up anymore. It does ask me if I want to go to airplane mode and I choose 'no' of course.

The iPhone/DICE adapter works with my radio and steering wheel buttons, charges my 3G iPhone and I can answer calls with a bluetooth headset or use it as a handset. It mutes the music and rings the phone through my speakers. When I park the car, disconnect it and plug it back in again, it starts playing right where it left off. I can use any of the apps while it is plugged in as well (maps for example) and have audio playing.

As a music player it works better than my iPod. If I change the DICE to use AUX input and plug in a headphone cable, I can use Pandora or NPR apps or whatever for audio and still charge. Since the iPhone never sleeps, it isn't a problem anymore.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sBox
I know what you mean by the DICE box acting wonky. I have an old 2nd gen iPod Nano I used to use with it. Interestingly, I don't have these problems with my 3G iPhone. When I first plugged it in it said 'this device is not made for this connection' or something, but with the 3.x iPhone firmware it doesn't come up anymore. It does ask me if I want to go to airplane mode and I choose 'no' of course.

The iPhone/DICE adapter works with my radio and steering wheel buttons, charges my 3G iPhone and I can answer calls with a bluetooth headset or use it as a handset. It mutes the music and rings the phone through my speakers. When I park the car, disconnect it and plug it back in again, it starts playing right where it left off. I can use any of the apps while it is plugged in as well (maps for example) and have audio playing.

As a music player it works better than my iPod. If I change the DICE to use AUX input and plug in a headphone cable, I can use Pandora or NPR apps or whatever for audio and still charge. Since the iPhone never sleeps, it isn't a problem anymore.
You have listed my experience with the Dice install on my Mini. I love it and I am happy that I finally made the purchase. Kinda wish I did it sooner. I also did a ProClip and the combination is excellent. I listen to streaming auto Slacker or Pandora all the time. It's nice always having fresh music at my finger tips.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 PM
azamjunejo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsharra
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
I may be asking the obvious here but doesn't the oem ipod interface charge the ipod as well? Or are you talking about the oem aux?