Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Broken H/K System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:24 AM
RUMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any troubles with the factory HK stereo system? Mine is, well, dead. It appears that the failure(?) is limited to the HK amp since all functions on the head unit (and MFSW) work properly, aside from those that are specific to the HK (Sound Quality/Pattern, Driver Function, and Speed Sensitive Volume).

Pressing the "Note" button still allows me to adjust bass, treble, fade and balance, but will not allow selection of the H/K preset sound patterns such as "Mini H/K", "Electronic", etc. All station presets work properly, mode button works properly and allows for cycling between AM/FM, CD, and CD Changer modes. CD's spin and the track counter on the display increments. Inserting a CD into the head unit automatically selects that mode, and the CD spins, but, the damn thing just doesn't make noise anymore....

Yes, I've checked, and re-checked, and re-re-checked that the volume is turned up, both on the head unit and the MFSW. I've cycled the power any number of times.

Will drag it to the dealership (several hours away), but am wondering if anyone here has experieneced this failure before and if there's a master reset or a fuse or something that I might check before leaving my MINI at the dealership for longer than I can stand to be away from it.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:28 AM
RUMINI
2nd Gear
L.Mini,

Could you start a new thread with this same subject line and content for me? Either no-one on the site has an H/K system or no-one has had this particular problem. I just know that if you start the thread it'll at least get a _little_ traffic.

I'm not feelin the love.....

Old 08-06-2003, 11:34 AM
2minis
6th Gear
I've got an HK but never had the problem so I am of
no use but it keeps the post up top......

Old 08-06-2003, 12:30 PM
RUMINI
2nd Gear
>>I've got an HK but never had the problem so I am of
>>no use but it keeps the post up top......

Well, 2minis, thanks for the effort. Knowing my luck, I'll take it to the dealer, it'll take 2 days to fix (which is a full week without the car for me), then someone will post here with a quick fix.

"Oh yeah, I had that exact same problem. I parked in a north facing space, opened the sunroof exactly halfway, locked the steering wheel in the 3:00 position, cycled the power exactly twice and Viloa, problem resolved".

Old 08-06-2003, 12:40 PM
FURIOSO
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear your having a problem, but like the other posts, I haven't had any problems with the unit so far. Sounds like your doing everything correctly

Dumb question, but was the sun shining on the unit for a while. I've had problem with CAD plotters that would operate erraticly. Turned out the control panel would be affected when in the sun.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but is the control set properly for loudness correction. Meaning as you drive faster the volume is turned up accordingly?

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2003, 12:52 PM
RUMINI
2nd Gear
>>I don't have the manual in front of me, but is the control set properly for loudness correction. Meaning as you drive faster the volume is turned up accordingly?
>>

Strangley, I can't check the loudness correction (speed sensitive volume) any longer. That function, along with that of actual noise (music) coming out of the speakers seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird....

Old 08-06-2003, 01:14 PM
discodan
5th Gear
my speed volume has never worked since i got the car in march and my dealer has ordered me a new head unit which is supposedly the problem but surprise it's on backorder and won' t be here for another week or so they say. everything else on the radio does work though i must say.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:09 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RUMINI,
You are saying that there is no sound from the car, and the HU does not display any HK specific settings ...

If the HU and HK amp cannot communicate with each other, this is what you get. The HU will not show any settings, and the amp will not run.
If the HU was disconnected, it would give a security lock, so it might be a connection problem at the HK amp, which is in the right pocket in the trunk/boot.
Or of course, it could be a faulty amp.

I don't think you can access the HK amp connector unless you remove the rear panel (which involves seat removal) so I think you are stuck with taking it to the dealer.
From the schematics I have, the HK amp shares the same fuse as the HU, so that cannot be the problem either.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:23 AM
RUMINI
2nd Gear
>>RUMINI,
>>You are saying that there is no sound from the car, and the HU does not display any HK specific settings ...

Yes, that's the behavior I'm experiencing.

>>I don't think you can access the HK amp connector unless you remove the rear panel (which involves seat removal) so I think you are stuck with taking it to the dealer.
>>From the schematics I have, the HK amp shares the same fuse as the HU, so that cannot be the problem either.

I checked out the Amp last night, and your right, can't get to the connector from the boot side pocket. Looks like a trip to the dealer. Thanks iancull....

Old 08-14-2003, 07:40 AM
GaveChase
Neutral
RUMINI,

Its funny, I created an account on this site because I was experiencing this same problem. Glad I found this thread. Here's my 2 cents.

Last nite when I started up my car I noticed no sound coming from my speakers. I attempted to turn the volume up with no results. I switched to the radio to make sure it wan't a problem with the CD player, again no sound.

I decided to check the other settings on the headunit and also found that I no longer had access to the Harman Kardon specific functions. The funny thing is, I never had the Speed Volume adjustment when my system was working and now I do have access to that adjustment (not that it'll do me any good).

Looking back I do remember hearing an odd clicking sound coming from the right rear of the car, almost like a turn signal but slightly faster and far more muted. I only heard it if I was at a stop light as it was too soft to hear while moving. I don't recall if I have ever heard it while the headunit was turned off or not. I had assumed it was coming from outside the car, possibly from other traffic nearby. But since the sound was coming from where the amp is located I suspect it is related to my recent audio woes.

I have an appointment to have my passanger seat replaced (a small tear in the fabric... glad I made them order me a new seat before I took delivery because it appears to be getting larger) on August 27th. I'm going to have them check out the amp as well.

If they do end up having to replace the amp I hope its not a long wait for a replacement. This is the first vehicle I've owed with a built in CD player and a sound system that doesn't suck so I've been listening to it non-stop. Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to listen to the sweet sound of the engine for a while.

Gave Chase

P.S. - Just for reference, here's the details on my MCS in case this is an issue with certain builds, etc. 2003 MINI Cooper S, CR/W. Built June 25th. Cold Weather Package, H/K system and Xenon Headlights. I doubt any particular combination would have an affect on this issue but hey, who knows.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:49 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Just as a note, I have had the same problem. It was identical from loss of sound to loss of H/K settings even though everything else worked. I took it to my dealer and they had to replace the amplifier. Since then it has had no problem.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:16 AM
Black-n-blue-MCS
1st Gear
I'm having the exact same problem with my HK. Took MINI to the dealer yesterday. They said they will be replacing the amp. I'm scheduled to go back in once the new amp is delivered.

Old 09-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Senator_Rude
3rd Gear

Does your ac work?

I had a simaler problem with my radio. the whole dash board and MFSW went nuts and stopped working or worked irradically. Turns out my sirius reciever went bonkers and caused a bus communication error that was causing all the problems. The dealer ended up having to call MINI to get clearence to change the reciever. NOTE! if they do change your sirius reciever make sure you call sirius and have them change your account to your new reciever.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:38 PM
barry@schliesmann.com
Neutral
All of a sudden I can't insert a CD anymore into my HK system. Any one else have such a problem? I'm hoping there is some sort of "reset" or other fix short of taking the car back to the dealer. Everything else about the unit seems to work fine.

Thanks,
Barrybarry@schliesmann.com

Old 11-13-2003, 10:33 AM
barry@schliesmann.com
Neutral
I just returned from the dealer. The CD player failed. They have ordered a new head unit, but as other posts have suggested, they are on back order. They're back-ordered 385 units in the US alone! Looks like it'll be a while. At least it will be an excuse to get the MP3 player connection installed!

Barry