Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Horrific and sudden noise from all speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:55 PM
lweaver
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Horrific and sudden noise from all speakers.

Hello! Hoping someone can provide insight into a jarring experience I just had in my 2010 cooper hardtop with a Harmon Kardon stereo system. Driving down a road in the rain, my stereo suddenly began making horrific feedback noises and scratching static at max volume and did not respond to inputs (including attempting to turn the stereo completely off). I legitimately thought the car had been struck by lightning.

The noise settled on a a high pitch squeal so incredibly loud that I had to turn my hazards on, pull over, and exit the car. The noise continued for several minutes after I removed the key from the ignition, and it sounded like other electrical systems may have also been malfunctioning (there are several electric motor type noises I hear on a regular basis that sounded similar to what I was hearing, but these were ).

It eventually stopped and I got it home without the noise returning, but now I'm very worried that it will happen again. Is there a fuse I can pull until I get it to the dealership? I am out of warranty, unfortunately, and I read somewhere that even checking the internal stereo fuse is hours of labor...

The following users liked this post:
ahsram5 (02-10-2021)
Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 PM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same issue about six months ago.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rive-home.html

It only happened that one time.

You're the first I've seen with the same issue...

ahsram5 (02-10-2021)
Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 PM
lweaver
Neutral
Hmmm. That's a little unnerving. Have you had any other electrical issues in the interim? This noise literally sounded like the car being violently torn apart.

I guess I'll just continue to drive it and throw some earplugs in the cup holder...

ahsram5 (02-10-2021)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:06 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
If I recall HK amp is under front seat. Check for wetness or even a rogue water bottle wetting electronics I think amp is under passenger seat but not sure. May want to check connectors on amp also

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

ahsram5 (02-10-2021)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm sorry I couldn't help myself.

"Their here", unlike a haunting it only gets worse. Stay away from the static and I think you'll be alright.

Attached Thumbnails Horrific and sudden noise from all speakers.-poltergeist-original.jpg  
Old 09-11-2015, 05:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Heard this on the Gen 1 MINI with H/K , the amp is in the back rear , in the trunk under the side carpet. Is it a loud beep for a second ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Heard this on the Gen 1 MINI with H/K , the amp is in the back rear , in the trunk under the side carpet. Is it a loud beep for a second ?
Aren't the HK amps known to fail in this manner? This isn't the first thread about failing HK amps and member's looking for a replacement.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes,

I had mine beep about 9 times on very hot days and still going strong , others had it beep once and die. Most people get the beep a couple times and then its dead. The heat kills them.

I swear its like 160 db beep. Scares the crap out of people and myself. If the Gen 2 is like this , bet the amp overheated. They dont have fans like the BMW individual system amps, i think thats the issuse.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes,

I had mine beep about 9 times on very hot days and still going strong , others had it beep once and die. Most people get the beep a couple times and then its dead. The heat kills them.

I swear its like 160 db beep. Scares the crap out of people and myself. If the Gen 2 is like this , bet the amp overheated. They dont have fans like the BMW individual system amps, i think thats the issuse.
No fans, that's a insanely poor design destined to fail, doesn't the HK amp fit underneath the heated seats?

Old 09-11-2015, 11:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
The R52 HK amp is under the seat, R53 HK amp in the trunk and R56 HK amp in the trunk.

R57 HK amp under the seat :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-problems.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-kardon-4.html

Unless I am missing something.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:03 AM
Loriann Neighbors
Neutral
I just experienced the same horrific noise! Radio off, yet it is screaming at me with alien sounds, high pitch beeps, etc. Happened yesterday, then blissfully stopped. Then got in the car this morning and it started up again. I'll check with the dealer but do know that you are not alone- and it appears I am not alone either!

ahsram5 (02-10-2021)
Old 03-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Eyeball B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank goodness for this thread. 2006, manual R-53. Just happened to me yesterday. I had the stereo on low, heading to the gas station because less than a quarter of a tank (low fuel red light indicator was on), and BEEP! Exactly how previous posters described. Ear piercing, half second tone, coming through the speakers. So loud my ears were ringing for about a minute afterwords. More than annoying it actually seems harmful. Hopefully it will be a long time before it happens agains.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:50 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
yep, it happens. They might say deal with it or replace the amp.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:45 AM
Sandi Clausen
Neutral
Sounded like explosions all around me

My mini did this a few years back and then stopped in a few days. Thought a speaker finally popped. Today I open the door not even having the keys and it started again! It is such a horrific noise

ahsram5 (02-10-2021)
Old 08-25-2020, 01:03 PM
maegan D-N
Neutral
Solution? I have a R53 Harmon Kardon system doing the same

Originally Posted by lweaver
Hello! Hoping someone can provide insight into a jarring experience I just had in my 2010 cooper hardtop with a Harmon Kardon stereo system. Driving down a road in the rain, my stereo suddenly began making horrific feedback noises and scratching static at max volume and did not respond to inputs (including attempting to turn the stereo completely off). I legitimately thought the car had been struck by lightning.

The noise settled on a a high pitch squeal so incredibly loud that I had to turn my hazards on, pull over, and exit the car. The noise continued for several minutes after I removed the key from the ignition, and it sounded like other electrical systems may have also been malfunctioning (there are several electric motor type noises I hear on a regular basis that sounded similar to what I was hearing, but these were ).

It eventually stopped and I got it home without the noise returning, but now I'm very worried that it will happen again. Is there a fuse I can pull until I get it to the dealership? I am out of warranty, unfortunately, and I read somewhere that even checking the internal stereo fuse is hours of labor...
did you find a solution to this? Or is the only solution to replace the amp Mine is under passenger side seat I don't think I can bare hearing that noise again.

Last edited by maegan D-N; 08-25-2020 at 01:09 PM.
ahsram5 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 04:42 PM
ahsram5
Neutral
Originally Posted by Loriann Neighbors
I just experienced the same horrific noise! Radio off, yet it is screaming at me with alien sounds, high pitch beeps, etc. Happened yesterday, then blissfully stopped. Then got in the car this morning and it started up again. I'll check with the dealer but do know that you are not alone- and it appears I am not alone either!
Guess this thread's pretty old, but...if anyone's following & had this issue resolved, plz share details? My experience was just like orig poster, lweaver.
Raining, God-awful, loud, crackling sounds. Had no idea what it was. Thought maybe a drive-by & sunroof. or windows were shattering. Pulled into nrby gas station, got out & away frm Mini. (2010 Hard-Top S). Thought explosion was coming! Didn't hear any beeps. Very nice guy in a service truck came over, checked it out, said maybe short in a speaker wire & removed a fuse. Been driving it that way, no fuse, no stereo. Fuse only seems to be related to stereo, seatbelt warning & intuitive rear-view mirror lighting.
It's in shop now...would be great to know how other's resolved this.

Last edited by ahsram5; 02-10-2021 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2021, 04:55 PM
ahsram5
Neutral
Re: 'Horrific and sudden noise from all speakers'

...If anyone's still following this thread;

Guess this thread's pretty old, but...if anyone's following & had this issue resolved, plz share details?
My experience was just like orig poster, lweaver.

Raining, God-awful, loud, crackling sounds. Had no idea what it was. Thought maybe a drive-by & sunroof. or windows were shattering. Pulled into nrby gas station, got out & away frm Mini. (2010 Hard-Top S). Thought explosion was coming! Didn't hear any beeps. Very nice guy in a service truck came over, checked it out, said maybe short in a speaker wire & removed a fuse. Been driving it that way, no fuse, no stereo. Fuse only seems to be related to stereo, seatbelt warning & intuitive rear-view mirror lighting.
It's in shop now...would be great to know how others resolved this.

'Navin R. Johnson', "...he HATES these cans! Stay away from the cans"!

Old 03-08-2022, 03:27 AM
MrHippo
Neutral
2021 Mini Countryman horrific noise

I am in the UK and thanks to everyone for posting to this thread, this has just happened to me, moved the car 10 feet on the driveway and the speakers blasted out at full volume this squealing noise.
My local dealer is going to look at the problem but now I have some idea what it is I can tell them to focus on the amp.
I may take some ear protection with me in case it happens again while I am driving.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:46 PM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
My R53 had incredibly LOUD Static noise with barely audible music underneath. It would go away for a while then come back (kind of like when it heated up from use) but then, it didn't matter how long it was off...turn on and SCREEEESHHHHH! Replaced with a known good H/K amp and all good. I have my former co-worker who still has all of the scopes and P/S to play with my bad amp and a dead one I procured. Hopefully, he can get them up in a short time and I'll have spares or refurbs for sale with core exchange.