Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Garmin Nuvi Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin Nuvi Question

For those who have the Garmin Nuvi, what has been your experience with using it as an MP3 player through the FM transmitter. I have heard all different answes regarding the sound quality from it "sucks" to "replaces my iPod". Would it be better to connect it to the USB port? Any replies are greatly appreciated.

As a note, I love the look fo the OEM Nav unit and the added integration with the OBC but the additional $2000 wold have been a deal killer for me. I am happy with my Nuvi 780 so far [only used in my wife's SportTrac since my R56 is still in transit and the wait is killing me!!!). I am planning on installing the Kuda mount after it arrives.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
MadHatter
5th Gear
Disclaimer: don't have an ipod, ipod nano, zune, sansa, creative labs, or any other mp3. And I drive a 1st Gen 2006 MCS MINI.

I have only used mp3 discs until I got my Nuvi 360. It works great for me with the aux input on my 1st gen 2006 R53 MINI. My custom Points Of Interest (POI) and navigation guidance stops the music, makes the announcement, and then music resumes... (obviously same thing for bluetooth cell calls.)

Hope that helps you.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The FM trasmitter on my Nuvi 660 is weak. Stations too crowded here for a static free transmission. Connecting it via my aux port sounds fine.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Fini
2nd Gear
I've got a NUVI 760 and I don't think it's a very good MP3 player. I've compared my iPod to it and I really don't think it compares at all with the iPod output.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
I had an FM transmitter for my iRiver in my "old car." It was... ok. I plugged my baby iPod into the MINI aux port and it sounds AWESOME. For me, the wires are worth not hassling with changing the stations and getting fuzz.

Also, I put the Kuda mount in and (finally) wired power for my Garmin. It's so cool.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Garmin 350, 1st gen, Aux port, 4GB SD card, very happy. Also have iPods, but rarely use them in the car. I'm sure I could get better sound quality than I'm getting... but I have a convertible... which kinda negates the whole concept of "high fidelity"...

Have tried various FM modulators in the past and always hate them. Not enough "blank" FM spectrum left in most populated areas...

Old 04-08-2008, 04:34 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
I use my NUVI 360 in the MINI with the AUX port. It really works well, plays music and broadcasts directions while muting the music. The NUVI can act as a USB drive as well, but, if you use it that way, I am pretty sure you can't run the navigation software. Connecting to the USB port as a hard drive causes the screen to go into a dormant mode and you can access any menus. I have played with the FM transmitter of a NUVI 660 and it really doesn't work that well, no substitute for a wire.

FYI, for the cost of the new NUVI 700 series devices, you can get an HTC Athena and Garmin Mobile XT. I use the Athena in my Z3 coupe, and it is fantastic... In nav mode, it looks and behaves like the NUVI, using the same maps, points of interest files, etc. But it also supports Garmin Online, so you get access to weather, gas station and hotel prices and of course your email using the GPRS/Edge data network. Proclip, makes a bracket for my NUVI, and now my Athena (powered!) so they attach studily to the dash. I'll never get lost again!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 PM
k6rtm
4th Gear
Running the audio through an FM stereo transmitter (even a good one) and then a receiver is like taking a steak, putting it through a meat grinder, pushing it through a straw, and then trying to make it back into a steak again -- you've done great violence to things that you just can't undo!

You want the fewest stages of signal processing between the source and your ears -- and that highly suggests using the AUX input over the FM transmitter.

(I can go techno-geek on you and complain about pre-emphasis/de-emphasis, low frequency loss due to PLL design, high end loss due to maximum 15 KHz FM response, but it's more like 10 KHz, and anything above 8KHz at best the separation is going to be minimal, plus if you drive around a major urban center, you're going to have to retune the thing, so just don't do it! Use the wire. Hide the wire.)

Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 PM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
I have been considering using something like this for my Nuvi 680.
I have replaced all speakers and added a JL Audio amp in the boot. This little gizmo would allow me to hookup the Nuvi and everything else and still leave room for a 3rd input. The Nuvi would be given priority so when the radio is playing (or my ipod hooked up to the aux in) the sound would be cut from the music source and the Nuvi would play through all speakers. Ten seconds or so later the music would cut back in. Anybody else tried this?

Pat

Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 AM
DanQ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pdoyle
I have been considering using something like this for my Nuvi 680.
I have replaced all speakers and added a JL Audio amp in the boot. This little gizmo would allow me to hookup the Nuvi and everything else and still leave room for a 3rd input. Pat
Doesn't the JLAudio CL-SES (source expander) have to be used in conjunction with the CL441dsp in order to seamlessly switch between the factory radio and the added on GPS?

I'm not sure how the CL-SES would work alone. Here is what I'm guessing you thought you could do? You want to hookup the GPS to one of the inputs of the CL-SES. You hook up the output of the CL-SES to the aux input of the MINI factory radio. The problem is, (if I understand correctly) the only way you will hear the GPS is to select aux on the factory radio. You won't hear the radio at all...

I'd LOVE if this could be made to work, but I'm missing it somehow...

It could work if you had the audio out (assuming there is even a line level available) of the factory radio as one input to the CL-SES. the GPS as another input to the CL-SES. the output of the CL-SES would them have to feed external AMPS to drive the speakers.
If you only have speaker level outputs coming from the radio, you'd need something like the CL441dsp to convert?

Last edited by DanQ; 05-06-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:52 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Well since my first post I have switched to using the AUX input with a 90 degree 3.5mm connectro cable. As soon as I have the time I will be mounting it with a Kuda mount and running the aux cable and power cable behind the dash. Although an iPOD may have better sound [I don;t have one], I like the interface on the Nuvi and after I get it permanently mounted it will be right at my fingertips as i am driving

Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 AM
k6rtm
4th Gear
As I contemplate installing other equipment, and upgrading the existing sound system, I've been toying with a number of ideas.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace the 6.5 inch speakers in the doors with something better (JLs or Infinity). Why not separate out the 4 inch speakers, and use those for things such as GPS and my communications gear? In my Jeep, where I have a lot more room, I have separate speakers for comm and nav equipment. In the Mini, all depends on how good an upgraded set of 6.5 inch speakers sound.

An alternative is to mount a small speaker either in the headrest, or in the gap between the headrest and the seat. I've done both in the past.

One of the nice things about having a separate speaker (or speakers) for things like nav and comm is that it lets you use your brain -- your brain learns fairly quickly that when it hears something coming from those speakers, pay attention! Just like the way you learn quickly to pay attention to the chirps and beeps from the radar detector -- sound coming from over there, pay attention!

The Clean Sweep sound expander switch is as it's named -- a switch. It detects audio on an input, and gives that input priority to the amp. Similar things have been around in aviation for a while.

What I'd like is more of a mixer with a noise gate. When a signal is present (from the GPS, or from my comm gear), route that signal (to specific speakers). Optionally, cut the volume of other signals as well.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
The FM trasmitter on my Nuvi 660 is weak. Stations too crowded here for a static free transmission. Connecting it via my aux port sounds fine.
So what if you're not able to rewire, etc., and want a GPS that will give you good maps but also really helpful traffic information if you're interested in the NY/NJ metro area (think NJ Turnpike, GW Bridge, etc.)?

Right now I'm GPS-less, and have been trying to read up about them and decide on a purchase. Any advice? Oh, and I don't have a "smart phone".

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Why run the GPS through your car system at all?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I don't want to - but what I'm wondering about is whether or not the traffic alerts work in the NY/NJ metro area...only because I've read here, and in a few other places, that the FM transmission doesn't work too well. I have no idea if this is par for the course in any crowded urban area or not.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
although I hate dangling cords, I will probably just buy the nuvi lower end model and mount on the speedo. I have a sirius radio already that I will also transfer to the clubman when it arrives...sheesh....wires everywhere.

Anyone have a good solution to the antenna on a sirius without dismantling half of the interior trim ?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Otra
6th Gear
So I take it you use sirius for traffic?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JGS
Why run the GPS through your car system at all?
I want to use the MP3 player in my Nuvi 780 as well as the Nav. It sounds much better coming through you speakers.

Plus i like having the MP3 plyer interface at my finger tips as opposed to the radio display