MTH Discussion (Archive) Have or interested in MTH software upgrades for your MINI? This is the place! Sponsored by MTH.

MTH - member to member support

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MTH - member to member support

This thread is for the purpose of members helping other members with their MTH installation. It is not for the use of MTH or its agents. Each post to this thread will be reviewed and deleted without notifcation if it appears that MTH or its agents made the post.

If you are a MTH customer, have used NAM, and found the services that NAM provides useful, I encourage you to email MTH (ie - Franz) and ask that they support the communities that provide services which end up supporting their products. As Franz has never elected to respond to one of my emails I feel that if they were to partner with a community like NAM they would be able to deliver an excellent customer service experience.

In closing, while I can't tell you where to spend your money, I would encourage you to support the vendors that are recognized here on NAM as they have been supportive of the community, work to help the community grow as a whole. Furthermore their advertising supports our ability to host the site, support it on a full-time basis, develop new features for all to use, and provide a means of collecting and disseminating information about our favorite car...the MINI. Check them out in the Sponsor Directory and support them whenever you can.

Let the member to member support begin....

Mark

Last edited by Mark; 02-10-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:01 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sent this to MTH this morning...

Hi Franz,

Just wanted to say thanks for the files. They work great. I was wondering if MTH is going to support the www.northamericanmotoring.com website. Apparently, they are proposing a ban effective in two weeks and this could harm your future sales. I understand that the cost to support the site would be minimal, and not only would it benefit MTH but the Mini Community as a whole.

Thank you reading my e-mail and I wish you continued success in the future.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:17 AM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
Request for Mark

Mark, I'd like to request that someone be allowed to paste in the very first post from the old MTH thread... the one where AlexN describes how to acquire and set up the software & cables. Thanks for your consideration.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Originally Posted by meanboy
Hi Franz,

Just wanted to say thanks for the files. They work great. I was wondering if MTH is going to support the www.northamericanmotoring.com website. Apparently, they are proposing a ban effective in two weeks and this could harm your future sales. I understand that the cost to support the site would be minimal, and not only would it benefit MTH but the Mini Community as a whole.

Thank you reading my e-mail and I wish you continued success in the future.
Just to clarify...there will NOT be a ban on members assisting other members. That said the old thread will be removed in two weeks and only this thread will remain.

Mark

Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, but harsher words might prompt him into action.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:03 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can purchase the cables from here. I will make a suitable post shortly.

http://www.obd-interface.de/pages/mt...rface_eng.html

http://www.sensolutions.com/

Richard

Originally Posted by BluMiniMe
Mark, I'd like to request that someone be allowed to paste in the very first post from the old MTH thread... the one where AlexN describes how to acquire and set up the software & cables. Thanks for your consideration.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
OctaneGuy
CAUTION: PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK
As with all mods, the information provided here is without warranty. I am providing the steps for your information, but beware that problems may occur and that you accept full responsibility. Should you encounter any problems, please take a deep breath and relax before going ballistic, and post your problems to this thread and we will all do our best to assist you. You should be aware that the worst that can happen is that you will need to have your MINI towed to the dealer to reset your ECU or purchase a new one which can cost over $1,500.

Interested in adding a little extra horsepower (avg. 10-15hp) to your MINI without spending big bucks? Well if you're computer savvy, and don't mind taking some risk, then the MTH CarTune ECU mod might be just for you.

MTH is based in Germany and is run by a guy named Franz Hoelzl. He offers a rather convoluted method in which you register on his website for a password--which he may send in a few days or few weeks. Then you are able to log in to his site, and pay for a Key Code which is generated off of your VIN. The cost is 60 Euros or around US$75.

http://www.mth-powerchip.de/

You will also need to purchase an OBDII cable from either of the suppliers below. Either the Serial or USB variety will work. USB will cost more, and in theory is easier to setup, but in practice, due to lack of installation and support documentation it's sometimes trickier! Also it's been said that Toshiba laptops have more issues and are not recommended.

Not sure where your OBD port is? Just follow the arrow.

Typical ECU mods require removal of your ECU chip to be sent to a tuner who modifies it, then sends it back.

MTH is Unique!
What makes MTH unique is that you can download your ECU mapping data, send it by email (or file upload), Franz tunes it, then sends it back by email, and you reinstall it yourself. (Franz says that he does this for free and you only pay for the software. In my mind, since he wrote the software, you're still paying him.)

The whole process of getting it back can be a quick as a few minutes to several weeks, depending on Franz's availability. He tends to take a lot of vacations!

Once you have the cable, you need Franz's CarTune software which is used to both download and upload the ECU mapping of your MINI. To upload it, you need that Keycode you paid for earlier.

Don't want to spend money on a cable? Find an MTH friend or local club!
Note that if you've got a friend who already has the CarTune software and cable, you can use that for downloading of your own ECU mapping data, then purchase a KeyCode and upload that data to Franz.

OBDII CABLE SUPPLIERS
The OBDII cable ideally should be using an ISO 9141 Interface, although it's been reported by MACNCHEESE that a Straight Through can also work.

http://www.obd-interface.de/pages/mt...rface_eng.html

http://www.sensolutions.com/

Technical Specs for Sensolution cable:
http://www.sensolutions.com/pdf/glos...-COM_flyer.pdf

Key Code Generation at MTH
Be sure to use all Upper Case when entering your VIN for your keycode.

Payment confirmation will come by email. If you accidentally were billed twice or flubbed your registration, which is VERY easy to do, then you'll need the info in this email to correct it. I had trouble accessing the payment page because the default security settings of my IE browser was restricting his payment gateway (Compare the URL to the restricted URLs on your firewall or Browser software).

A detailed write up on using the USB cable and using the CarTune software can be found here:
http://www.littlemini.us/technical/mth/index.asp

Assuming you have the proper cable and CarTune software installed, with the ignition on, you can click the ID key to confirm you have everything connected properly.

This is what you should see after hitting the ID Key

But where is the ID Key?

Once you've confirmed that the ID Key works, then just click the DOWNLOAD button. (the little car with the down arrow below it)

You will see it working, then just SAVE the file somewhere you can find on your computer, because you will now need to upload these to Franz!

There are 2 ways to get the files to Franz, but the Upload method is probably the most reliable.
http://www.mth-powerchip.de/_neu1407/e_upload.htm

You can also email him at: info@mth-powerchip.de
The following information was extracted from the original MTH post. I have preserved the content and attempted to make it more readable. All comments were the opinions of the original poster and not my own.

MTH is Fully Reversible
The flash is not detectable by BMW. You can upload the original and custom file as often as you want. BMW can only do that 15 times. The ECU has a counter. CarTune bypasses it.

CarTune now is available without timeout. So there should be no more 2006 errors.
Once installed and activated you can transfer CarTune to another PC without MTHs involvement.

Here is How the Activation Works:
Once you extract CarTune and execute it you will see a box poping up. This is for activating CarTune. In the lower portion you will see Send Codes. Press this and a new email message pops up with the info of you CarTune version.
The email is already addressed to MTH.
You just need to click "Send" and wait for a reply with the activation code that you have to enter to unlock CarTune.

To Transfer the License to Another Computer:
You need to extract the original CarTune Zip to the new computer.
Then execute CarTune. You now will see the activation program. You need to write down the Site Code which you will find in the upper left corner.

Take that info to the computer that has the activated version of CarTune. Make sure that you have your activation code copied so that you can paste it into the filed.

At the Computer with the Registered Version of CarTune:
Execute CarTune.
Select "Transfer License" and paste in the original activation code.
Now enter the new Site Code and click continue. A warning box pops up indicating that you are about to transfer the license. Select "Ok" and a small window pops up with the new activation code.

The only problem is that you have to maintain the order on how to do it on the computer with the original activated CarTune otherwise it will just start the app.

Reported Problems on German sites are:
With WIN 2K or XP you need to make sure that the OS is not doing anything in the background. Get rid of all software that runs in the background for the duration of the flashing. Win98 is actually better for that.

The USB version of the cable works fine. Serial cable you need to make sure that the Bits Per Second setting on the port is high enough (115200).

What Risks are Involved as Mentioned Previously?
If the flash stops during the process try to redo it.
Worse case senario is that the car needs to go to BMW and get the ECU flashed by them. I do not heard from anybody that this actually happened.

If you use a Notebook make sure all power saving modes are OFF. No reported problems with the flash itself.

All upgrades are free and Franz is willing to customize his program to suit your needs. If you have something that you would like to try he will do it. Example....
In Canada 94 Sunoco has a 10% Ethanol content. A lot of people have cold start problems with that gas. Franz made a program that should work better with that gas. You can also ask for both.....a 91 and 94 program.

Available MTH Options
HP ratings are DIN and are subjective to the dyno that was used etc and other mods done to the car.
Fuel ratings: 91 in NA is 95 in Europe and 94 in NA is 98 in Europe

Mini Cooper JCW 91 and 94

MINI Cooper 91 and 94 program 91 @ 130HP and 94 @ 136HP

MINI Cooper S without pulley 94 @ approx 190HP

MINI Cooper S with 15% pulley 91 @ 205HP and 94 @ about 220HP

MINI Cooper S JCW Flash adds about 10-20HP @ 94

ASC Modification:

Cooper
When the ECU detects slip it will cut off the engine to 50Nm and see if there is still slip. If yes it cuts it back more.

Cooper S
When the ECU detects slip it will cut off the enigne to 100Nm and see if there is still slip. If yes it cuts it back more.
You have to do the lbs conversion from Nm.

FOR CVT customers:

The CVT flash works like this......
lets say you drive 10 mph and you step on the gas. The engine will now rev to 3000 rpm and starts accelerating from there. Franz maps his software to rev up to 3500 rpm and starts accelerating from there. This is done through the entire band.

You need to tell Franz if you want the tranny mod in the file or not otherwise you will only get the normal CVT flash.

I attached some Dyno sheets. As you all know......Dyno sheets are........you know :D.

Franz Hoelzl English is not the best and it gets even harder for him if there are some spelling mistakes.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 02-11-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Richard,

Thanks to you and Mark for posting this info . I think this will help a great deal when the other thread fades away.

I have uploaded my files to Franz. I might be one of the first 2004 JCW 210 submissions so we'll see how things work out. Anyone else with a pre-05 JCW 210 have the MTH maps?

Theo

Old 02-11-2005, 10:53 PM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
Great!

Kudos & THANKS, O.G. for posting the above info. Just what I was hoping for... a concise reference for historical purposes.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:02 PM
OctaneGuy
You're welcome!

Old 02-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Kendel72
4th Gear
I did the MTH and you cant beat it for $70, And as far as the cable goes Sensolution is the only place in my book seing as how the method of shipping is overnight for $17, That makes the total a little over a $100 and you get it the next day other than the horror stories I hear about ordering from Sascha and it taking a month or longer.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:53 PM
peterwhit
3rd Gear
MTH experimentation in HAwaii

Just curious if any of you guys have used the MTH software upgrade, and if so how it worked out for you.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:57 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Threads merged.

Please keep MTH discussion restricted to this thread.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:34 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Anyone need any help? I have done mine and am loving it more and more...or is that I am loving my MINI more and more. Anywho..

Old 02-19-2005, 05:35 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by peterwhit
Just curious if any of you guys have used the MTH software upgrade, and if so how it worked out for you.
It is great. I think you really have to drive your car for a while to notice the difference. I noticed most of all that my car accelerates better on highway speeds and while in the lower gears.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget to add your comments in the Reviews section!

There are lots that love the change, but only two have written their reviews!

Matt

ps, so what's different here? There are still references to buying parts from non-NAM sponsors. Just about 2000 posts that WE wrote are missing!

Old 02-21-2005, 09:38 PM
cheiron19
2nd Gear
Looking . . . .

Looking for someone in the Orange County (CA) area who may have the OBD3 interface module from Germany. Mine does not seem to work and I would like to confirm this. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2005, 05:08 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by cheiron19
Looking for someone in the Orange County (CA) area who may have the OBD3 interface module from Germany. Mine does not seem to work and I would like to confirm this. Thanks!
What errors are you getting? Also do you have the serial or usb cable?

Old 02-22-2005, 05:51 AM
cheiron19
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
What errors are you getting? Also do you have the serial or usb cable?
Richard and I have exchanged numerous pms offline about this. We have both come to the conclusion that the interface box may be fudged. I have the USB model and despite the fact that the computer recognizes the box and cable, I can not get it to ID the car so that I can download the files. I spent a total of 5 hours yesterday trying to get this thing to work for me and finally gave up because the car had to go to the dealer for some scheduled repair work.

Here are the messages . . .

The first message was "Unable to set the COM timeouts." Clicked "OK and then received "Fault at serial construction."

Hmmm. . . . virtual COM Port set to 5 and Com port 5 selected for the software. Guess I'll retry . . .

Then receive the following message, "Echo is missing: Adapter available?", after clicking OK then I receive, "startCommunication_Request do not send"

So I would like to meet up with someone and try their interface box and see if mine is screwed up. I may just have to make the trip to Richards later this week after I get the car back.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:24 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I would be interested to hear if its the cable. If it is its the first I have heard of. Good luck to you.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:56 AM
ftbt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cheiron19
I'm in Long Beach and have the serial cable, if that helps.

ftbt

2004 X3 -3.0, silver metallic, premium, auto, moon-roof, etc.

2005 Works Cooper S Convertible, DS-w- White Bonnet Stripes, Sn. 6808 + Clear Bra.

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, + '05 JCW upgrade; DS/W; Sport + Premium + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, XDrilled Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines +

Old 02-22-2005, 07:26 AM
danbl
Neutral
I had the exact same problems as you, and tried on 3 different OSs.
In the end, I sent the cable back to Sascha on Friday 11th Feb, he recieved it on Tuesday 15th and tested it, and I recieved a new working cable yesterday.

A few people over on mini2 were having problems as I was, but we are now banned from talking about it so hopefully they will read this thread :(

It seems asthough sascha has made a bad batch of cables, although he did suggest it could be due to them being X-Rayed in the post.

Hope this helps

Old 02-22-2005, 07:52 AM
sjwass
2nd Gear
X-ray damage?

X-ray damage? I doubt it! No way they could damage the hardware. Think of all the laptops at the airport. Anyway I'm sure they will fix it.

I am still on the fence as to whether or not to mod to MTH, I have heard about problems with the latest version on my 05 ECU so I am definitely on hold.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:02 AM
leon's rocket car
Banned
Originally Posted by sjwass
X-ray damage? I doubt it! No way they could damage the hardware. Think of all the laptops at the airport. Anyway I'm sure they will fix it.

I am still on the fence as to whether or not to mod to MTH, I have heard about problems with the latest version on my 05 ECU so I am definitely on hold.
I am on my 2nd MTH update to my 05 and have experienced no problems. None.

btw I use the USB cord from www.sensolutions.com and it worked like a charm.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
I also have an 05 and I am on my 3rd mth flash with no problems so far.

Also I am in hawthorne and I have a usb cable if that is any help.

Quick Reply: MTH - member to member support