MINI Parts for Sale Search and shop for all your MINI parts here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

FS:: Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Phenomonist
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player

Category: Navigation & Audio
Price: $385
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (you may select multiples): R50, R53
Location (Region): NorthWest
Item Condition: Used

I have a full Harman Kardon system for the first gens 2004+

I removed it from the car because I had a custom system installed. Everything worked great, but I wanted something really serious, so I went for it! I personally think the HK stuff is solid, as long as you don't want to set off car alarms. Decent bass for a system with no sub (the tones are there, just doesn't shake you). Sounds great for a car with so little sound dampening. Balanced listening.

Anyway, it's all here (sans wiring) and I would consider selling stuff individually as well. One of the tweeters has a short tear in the surround, but the spider is in good shape so it still sounds/responds well. This was due to mishandling when removed from car, not abuse (i.e. playing at full volume).

Attached Thumbnails Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0586.jpg   Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0585.jpg   Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0583.jpg   Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0584.jpg   Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0582.jpg  

Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0581.jpg   Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0580.jpg   Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0579.jpg   Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0863.jpg   Harman Kardon Complete System +OEM Deck/CD player-img_0864.jpg  

Last edited by Phenomonist; 07-21-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Price Change
Old 07-17-2016, 11:54 AM
dannynjoni
Neutral
Repair Tweeter?

It's a shame about the tweeter. What would be required to repair the tear?

Dan

Old 07-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Phenomonist
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dannynjoni
It's a shame about the tweeter. What would be required to repair the tear?

Dan
I personally don't think it needs repair. It sounds the same as it's twin, side by side. If you did want to repair it, I wouldn't know really. Probably take it to a pro. If someone is capable, I would only wonder whether they would also need to replace the surround on the other tweeter as well. Probably not worth it.

Again, personally I would run it as is. These tweeter cones don't show any excursion, so I don't think the surround is very critical. I did take the possible need to replace this tweeter, down the road, into consideration with my pricing though. I think the tweeter is $80-100 for a new one.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Phenomonist
1st Gear
R52 fit

Not sure the rears will fit R52. The rears in the R52 HK system are apparently round, not oval. I don't know if they will fit the ovals.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:30 AM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phenomonist
Not sure the rears will fit R52. The rears in the R52 HK system are apparently round, not oval. I don't know if they will fit the ovals.
R52 HK uses round rear speakers.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 PM
dannynjoni
Neutral
So I am wondering will this fit a February/2003 R53? We just purchased a 2007 R52 and I am in love with the sound. We currently have a stock mini stereo in our older Mini, and what once was a good stereo now makes me sad :-(.

I have heard that the wiring is very difficult and may not be worth it?

Old 07-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Phenomonist
1st Gear
I'm pretty sure that it fits all R53/R50. As far as the install, you have to put in the HK wiring harnesses because the system is wired differently. To get the job done, you'll have to remove most of the interior, which can be done in around an hour. I'll paste some notes from NAM user 2Miniacs (thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-complete.html)

*"Random thoughts for those contemplating this:

- The door wiring harnesses do not have to be replaced. Just get the connectors for the HK speakers and use them to replace the base speaker connectors since that's the ONLY difference. The connectors for HK and base at the door are in the same spot. Doing this would have saved me $200, a couple hours work, and kept my hands from being raw.
- There is a huge difference between the HK and base speakers. The base speakers look REALLY cheap next to the HK's.
- You can use the original stereo wiring harness to provide power to the amp and Head Unit. It's just a matter of removing the wires required from the original Head Unit connector and putting them in place of the wires on the replacement Head Unit connector that comes with the HK main wiring harness. You have to splice the power and radio on wires from the HK amp wiring harness onto those from the original wire harness.
- Use the antenna wiring that is already in the car and not the wiring that comes with the new harness. Doing this would have saved me at least an hour.
- I ended up leaving the base wire harness in the car and just laying the HK harness next to it. There is NO way to remove the original wiring harness without dismantling the entire dash. There is plenty of space to put the harness so you won't be able to see any of the wiring when complete. Had I known this at the beginning of the job I would have saved 3-4 hours.
- The grills and speakers mounts are the same for HK and base.
- I would recommend buying the HK main wiring harness from MINI as it makes the job MUCH easier....although if you are really crazy you could make your own wiring harness. The harness was $304.00 but made life very easy.
- There is one bus connection and one ground connection with the HK wiring harness.
- Things that need to be removed (in sequence) are: rear bottom trim, rear seats, rear side trims, door panels, door sill covers, glove box, driver's knee bolster, center instrument panel cover, down tubes, head unit.

Knowing what I now know, I think I could do one of these in about 4-6 hours with no problem....I spent a LOT of time trying to figure out stuff that wasn't as hard as I was trying to make it."

I patched together the harnesses that the stereo store wrecked out of my car and had all of the speakers working in my workshop. I was going to build a box for it, which would've been pretty cool, but I've since thrown the harness and connectors away. Anyway, I don't think I would have any issues installing it.

Last edited by Phenomonist; 07-20-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: italic on user quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:45 PM
fd3toe46
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PM'd

Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Phenomonist
1st Gear
bump