MINI Owners of New Jersey (MONJ) The MONJ Club Forum. Visit our club site at clubs.hemmings.com/miniownersofnj

Stereo Shops

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:43 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stereo Shops

Hope to have my 05 MCS/prempkg/armrest/dealer installed chrome grill week of Apr 18. Opted out of HK...sounded ok but not $550 worth. Looking for referral--recommendation to stereo shop with MINI experience in Northern NJ. Considering Best Buy, Circuit City, etc but would like to know about independent shops too. Just don't want rattles down the line.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:29 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you may want to post your question on nemini.org as it deals with the nyc metro area.

I have the HK, so I haven't done a lot of research. There is Sound City in Denville, NJ. They seem to do customized installs.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:26 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Thanks.

Thanks, I clean forgot about Sound City. I'd like to find someone with MINI experience. I'll try nemini.org too.

Hugh

Old 04-29-2005, 08:11 AM
heyduard
4th Gear
there's also samm sound in west caldwell. I've stopped in to find about a k40 install, and from the salespeeps, it sounds like they've seen a mini before.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:00 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
With regards to the big box stores, you may want to read about GBMini's experience with a chain of hi-fi stores in the North East.

His blogged experience is at gbmini.net

Wasn't there a tricounty car audio near newton on rt 206?

Old 05-01-2005, 07:13 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Thanks...I believe Ian's problems were with Tweeter, a relatively new chain of stereo stores. None here in North Jersey, ones in S Jersey and Eastern PA. Yes, after reading his tale, I'd stay away from them. The funny thing with these stores is you are at the mercy of the kid-installer who is working there at the time. Now I called Circuit City last month and inquired if anyone there did a MINI before. They said oh yeah, 'Brian' actually owns one. He did this, this, this, and this and it sounded FANTASTIC. I said great, what days does he work, and they said, "Oh...he don't work here no more."
Thanks for keeping me in mind. Still anxious to hear from anyone else!
Hugh
Originally Posted by heyduard
With regards to the big box stores, you may want to read about GBMini's experience with a chain of hi-fi stores in the North East.

His blogged experience is at gbmini.net

Wasn't there a tricounty car audio near newton on rt 206?

Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 PM
One-D
2nd Gear
Call this guy, Greg @ (516) 642-8668

He is in Long Island in Island Park

I don't know his Mini experience, but does quality work

Old 02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
shanes
2nd Gear
Hugh, I had Detailed Sounds do an install on my previous vehicle (Honda Element), they are located in Roseland. I went that far because they are top notch. They did a great job on the Eclipse deck I had installed.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:34 PM
rpob5t
2nd Gear
I had Ultimate Audio in Kinnelon, NJ ( http://www.ultimateaudioinc.com/ ) wire up my XM reciever (hard-wired my roadie XT and ran the antenna) everything came out clean and prices were reasonable. That and they have done other installs on mini's (head units speakers, etc) and that came out clean as well. Ask for Scott or Joe

Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 AM
YarvisCooperS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shanes
Hugh, I had Detailed Sounds do an install on my previous vehicle (Honda Element), they are located in Roseland. I went that far because they are top notch. They did a great job on the Eclipse deck I had installed.
I know the owner of Detailed Sounds. He is a GREAT guy and most importantly, HONEST. He used to compete in the IASCA circuit (international auto sound challenge association) His name is Keith.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 AM
YarvisCooperS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hugh
Thanks...I believe Ian's problems were with Tweeter, a relatively new chain of stereo stores. None here in North Jersey, ones in S Jersey and Eastern PA. Yes, after reading his tale, I'd stay away from them. The funny thing with these stores is you are at the mercy of the kid-installer who is working there at the time. Now I called Circuit City last month and inquired if anyone there did a MINI before. They said oh yeah, 'Brian' actually owns one. He did this, this, this, and this and it sounded FANTASTIC. I said great, what days does he work, and they said, "Oh...he don't work here no more."
Thanks for keeping me in mind. Still anxious to hear from anyone else!
Hugh

I was an avid car stereo competitor in the late 90's. You are NOT, I repeat NOT going to get a custom or half way custom job from a heaven forbid, Best Buy, Circuit City or 6 Avenue Electronics. What you have to hope for and ask the lead installer is for his for his body of work. If by chance you get someone who was a competitor in the sound off world, you might get a person who is in transition and looking for a place like 6 Avenue that gives him stock options or something like this along the lines. This way you get an installer who will TRY and do the right thing. Otherwise you have to hunt the small independant shops who do custom work and WILL take pride in their work. Alternator whine is unexceptable in todays installs. This might be a ground loop or you have different grounds of your equipment grounded at different points which will make the loop in the first place. In Jersey give detailed sounds a call. In NY, I would give Ultrasounds a call, they are in Lynbrook, Long Island. In NYC, I would give Innovative Sound and Security a call, they are in Brooklyn, NY. In PA I would give Sound Town in York, PA. a buzz. In MA. I would give Sound in Motion a call.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:14 PM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
designtechnj.com

best place for any audio installs hands down in the tri state area. i promise you that.

908 686 0888

oops...i just noticed when this thread was started. lol

Old 02-27-2007, 03:43 PM
shanes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by YarvisCooperS
I know the owner of Detailed Sounds. He is a GREAT guy and most importantly, HONEST. He used to compete in the IASCA circuit (international auto sound challenge association) His name is Keith.
Yep, Keith is a great guy, he hooked me up several times.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM
PortMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DOPAMINE
designtechnj.com

best place for any audio installs hands down in the tri state area. i promise you that.

908 686 0888

oops...i just noticed when this thread was started. lol
Hey, we were just there last week! I didnt see a Mini there. I had mine there though. My brother in law knew someone that started that buisness... I guess he left to become an actor or something ?