Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Filler neck/gas cap insert piece, paint peeling for the 8th time now?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Filler neck/gas cap insert piece, paint peeling for the 8th time now?!

I have been having this paint peeling issue around the gas cap filler neck/gas cap insert piece since late 2013, Caliber Collision has had to re-paint the area around the filler neck/gas cap insert piece for the 10th time now! Caliber Collision has taken the entire panel down to metal to start completely fresh, they understand that when paint thickness reaches a certain point it's time to go back to bare metal.

This peeling issue didn't start until after the shop painted it, it only took 2-3 weeks to start noticeably peeling. My insurance company AAA had an adjuster come out and have a look at it. There was never any body damage to this quarter panel, just a big rock chip that removed the paint enough to show through to the factory primer no where near the effected area.

The shop doesn't want to deal with it any longer and told me that my lifetime warranty is void in regards to this quarter panel do to the ongoing peeling issues because they believe it to be a manufacture issue or defect with regards the the insert plastic piece. Now this peeling issue has happened with my original insert piece only after the shop painted it and never before and with two new genuine Mini brand parts/inserts. The clear coat that the shop must be using has to be the issue, right?

One thing that's certain is these inserts from Mini whether from the factory when the Mini was manufactured and now fit way to damn tight up against the paint around the edge and the areas where the paint is peeling is where the plastic insert is physically pressing hard against the paint. It wasn't tight like this before I took it to be painted by this shop, the shop was fully aware of this a did everything possible to keep the insert piece off the newly painted surface, even waiting two months to install the insert and even sanding the edges of the insert piece to create a larger gap between the paint and the insert. I didn't start peeling until right after the insert was installed, what's going on here and has anyone heard of this issue before?

Thanks for any suggestions and help as to why this is happening!

Name:  20150919_112240_zpsvyngkjcl.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  286.0 KB

Name:  20150919_112212_zpstlslehrv.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  358.3 KB

Name:  20150919_112245_zpsoyicsmoi.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  345.5 KB