Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

Tigger 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I want I say and hope it's a bad wire, because my friends early 2011 had a newer HPFP installed under warranty

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I want I say and hope it's a bad wire
Turns out a bad wire was not to be. The fuel pump is still not responding to ECU commands. New pump is arriving today. Maybe Tigger will be my Christmas present this year lol.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Well damn, damn and double damn. New pump and wire harness didn't solve the issue. The builder managed to get his hands on the wiring diagrams for the old and new harness and had to relocate one pin to work with my ECU. Still no joy. I even tried to upload a tune from a 2014 ECU. Unfortunately, while the TriCore 1797 processor is the same, some of the other hardware in the MEVD17.2.2 and MEVD17.2.7 is different. Even with the correct vin and other code copied the ECU would not boot on a test bench. So apparently it looks like the only option at this point is to replace the 2014 intake cam with a 2011 cam and use the older style Continental HPFP.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Well damn, damn and double damn. New pump and wire harness didn't solve the issue. The builder managed to get his hands on the wiring diagrams for the old and new harness and had to relocate one pin to work with my ECU. Still no joy. I even tried to upload a tune from a 2014 ECU. Unfortunately, while the TriCore 1797 processor is the same, some of the other hardware in the MEVD17.2.2 and MEVD17.2.7 is different. Even with the correct vin and other code copied the ECU would not boot on a test bench. So apparently it looks like the only option at this point is to replace the 2014 intake cam with a 2011 cam and use the older style Continental HPFP.
Sorry for the bad news, boy these Mini's are finicky.

My guess is you must use the 2011 cam to make use of the continental HPFP. Will you still be able to get a 2011 cam with the added 1 mm lift to work?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it's time to get hold of the engineers at Mini Engineering and see what they say...send them all the info you can...?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Systemlord
My guess is you must use the 2011 cam to make use of the continental HPFP.
Yeah the problem is the interface where the pump mates to the cam. They are completely different. The older N18's have what looks like a T that fits into a fork on the cam similar to the N14 whereas the newer Bosch pump has a triangle shaped fitting that fits into a machined recess in the cam. I'll post some pictures up when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by Gearheadaddy
Maybe it's time to get hold of the engineers at Mini Engineering and see what they say...send them all the info you can...?
I wish that were an option but BMW considers their data proprietary.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Yeah the problem is the interface where the pump mates to the cam. They are completely different. The older N18's have what looks like a T that fits into a fork on the cam similar to the N14 whereas the newer Bosch pump has a triangle shaped fitting that fits into a machined recess in the cam. I'll post some pictures up when I get a chance.

I wish that were an option but BMW considers their data proprietary.
Ah, that's a problem...(proprietary stuff)
On the other issue...machine the parts to fit? (I'm in California and have a mini lathe and micro mill you can use)...set up in my garage...I have made some billet aluminum gps mounts for a few R56 and GP2's...swivel ***** and such...one with a dual mount radar detector plate

Old 01-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
I'm in California and have a mini lathe and micro mill you can use
Thanks for the offer but I'm on the other coast. Your suggestion did give me an idea though. I went and took a very close look at the interface at the end of the cam on my old head. It's a bit hard to tell but it may be possible to swap the ends. It appears to either a be separate end piece or its a machined shear point that would allow the end to shear off if the HPFP seized. I'll clean it up and use some dye penetrant on it Monday. Then I should know which it is.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Glad I could help...good luck
Thanks for the offer but I'm on the other coast. Your suggestion did give me an idea though. I went and took a very close look at the interface at the end of the cam on my old head. It's a bit hard to tell but it may be possible to swap the ends. It appears to either a be separate end piece or its a machined shear point that would allow the end to shear off if the HPFP seized. I'll clean it up and use some dye penetrant on it Monday. Then I should know which it is.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:30 AM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the info on the RBs and the link. Like the build of a serious player.

ISAMIN

Old 01-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Your welcome. I just passed along what Dan at Mach V had already gone to the trouble to find out. I haven't been able to find anyone running 245 tires without rubbing. It might be possible with a 38mm offset but I think the arches would have to be heated/reshaped or replaced entirely. Had lots of compliments on the 235/40's though. Gives it an aggressive look and sticks like glue.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
N18 Camshaft Research

Short Tigger update. Have one final experiment to try involving Ohms Law before spending $650 on a new intake camshaft and having to wait 5 to 15 days for it to get here from Germany. Not sure if my idea will work as I have not been able to get any hard data on the input response profiles of either of the pumps. One or the other could be linear or curved. Nobody at BMW is talking so we'll see what happens.

On a more interesting note I started taking measurements off my old head and recording lobe offset, rocker ratios, etc. and found a few things that made me go Hmm...

#1. Its possible to increase intake valve lift to 10mm by simply increasing the eccentric shaft lobe height a small amount when the valvetronic solenoid has the eccentric shaft rotated into the full throttle position. This could be accomplished by removing the eccentric shaft and having part of the lobes plasma sprayed and reground. I verified this by placing a feeler gauge between the eccentric lobe and intermediate rocker arm and measuring intake valve lift from the seat. The math worked and valve lift came out to 10mm on the nose. This approach would have the advantage of not altering idle quality at all. The alternative would be plasma spraying much more material on the intake cam lobes PLUS re-profiling the eccentric shaft lobes to restore idle and cutoff. Didn't get a chance to experiment further for 10.5mm of lift. However, I doubt you could get much more out of the intake geometry without beginning to compromise the stability of the intermediate rocker arm.

#2. The exhaust camshaft lobe offset and profile appears to be very similar to the N14. Unfortunately, the N14 camshaft can not be used as it has no provisions for a vanos actuator. The solution would once again involve plasma spray and regrinding to increase lobe offset.

From a manufacturing standpoint the costs for an eccentric shaft should be less than that of an intake cam (less material, less machining etc...Based on that it might be possible to actually manufacture a cam kit consisting of an eccentric shaft and exhaust cam for approximately the same or even slightly less money than an N14 kit.

Sorry no mention of the amount of material that would need to be applied to any of the lobes in #1 and #2. (For reasons see paragraph previous to this one .) All hypothetical anyway until the cams can to be prototyped and thoroughly tested.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:39 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I gotta say Tigger, your thread definitely puts mine to shame. With all your hypotheticals and thorough analyses, you've really delved deep into the N18's which I haven't seen anyone do before. Good job.

When do you see the project getting completed? My old block is gathering dust at the shop, hope to work on it when I'm done with this project...!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
RA and Tigger...You both are very impressive in your technical knowledge and skills...with that said...there are engine builders out there that I have used (El Monte, California...Hokenson Automotive) that have custom ground camshafts and crankshafts for my race motors in the past. Maybe you can hook up with one to give you a custom grind or at least some good info...I suppose the "end switch" didn't work out on the HPFP thing...?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
When do you see the project getting completed?
Do any of us ever truly complete our projects? I'm already thinking ahead to XTA coilovers with lower control arms and drop links all around. That will have to come after the meth and tuning showdown though lol. If I can resolve the electrical control issue with the Bosch HPFP maybe this week. Made some enlightening progress today. I was surprised to find out its possible to get 200 bar of fuel pressure at idle. Unfortunately, had to order a component that wasn't available locally and is coming from Ohio. It's possible that the light at the end of the tunnel might not be the train I thought it was.

Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
My old block is gathering dust at the shop, hope to work on it when I'm done with this project...!
Stage 5 anyone?

RA and Tigger...You both are very impressive in your technical knowledge and skills...with that said...there are engine builders out there that I have used (El Monte, California...Hokenson Automotive) that have custom ground camshafts and crankshafts for my race motors in the past. Maybe you can hook up with one to give you a custom grind or at least some good info...I suppose the "end switch" didn't work out on the HPFP thing...?
Thanks for the extra leads. I had initially planned to contact LSM and Crower. Ideally I'd like to be able to use the same company for prototyping as well as manufacturing. I have however had a few conversation with local shops on prototyping. Either way the manufacturer would at a minimum need to be ISO-9000 compliant, sign an intellectual property rights agreement as the premise is applicable to the N55 as well, and be willing to make small production runs initially.

The end switch is do able but would require building a jig to ensure the Hall effect interrupter notches are correctly located. If they're off a few degrees it will throw off the cam timing by the same amount.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Camshafts

I was thinking more like a one-off cam not necessarily a prototypical type run of parts...
Do any of us ever truly complete our projects? I'm already thinking ahead to XTA coilovers with lower control arms and drop links all around. That will have to come after the meth and tuning showdown though lol. If I can resolve the electrical control issue with the Bosch HPFP maybe this week. Made some enlightening progress today. I was surprised to find out its possible to get 200 bar of fuel pressure at idle. Unfortunately, had to order a component that wasn't available locally and is coming from Ohio. It's possible that the light at the end of the tunnel might not be the train I thought it was.

Stage 5 anyone?

Thanks for the extra leads. I had initially planned to contact LSM and Crower. Ideally I'd like to be able to use the same company for prototyping as well as manufacturing. I have however had a few conversation with local shops on prototyping. Either way the manufacturer would at a minimum need to be ISO-9000 compliant, sign an intellectual property rights agreement as the premise is applicable to the N55 as well, and be willing to make small production runs initially.

The end switch is do able but would require building a jig to ensure the Hall effect interrupter notches are correctly located. If they're off a few degrees it will throw off the cam timing by the same amount.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Stage 5 anyone?
When it's built, probably, taking out the engine again would allow me to further upgrade the suspension, including taking out the S front swaybar and putting in a Justa swaybar which is 1mm thinner and new bushings here and there, upgraded tierod ends and roll center adjusters from Giomic, etc etc etc. We'll see!

I was thinking more like a one-off cam not necessarily a prototypical type run of parts...
one-off would not be beneficial for either tigger or the shop that would be hired to do it since a lot of R&D would be put forth and if it can't be replicated, then it isn't cost effective on both parties to venture into it. Unless you throw $$$ into the wind, then by all means!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Hahahaha.... I should have known better than put it in writing. Turns out it was the train after all. Just not possible to get an MEVD17.2.2 ECU to control the newest Bosch pump. Normalized everything else but the response curves are different. New intake cam on order from Germany. Guess I'll just fume while I wait for delivery. Friggin BMW.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Reason

Yeah, reason for everything...probably run better with new cam...
Hahahaha.... I should have known better than put it in writing. Turns out it was the train after all. Just not possible to get an MEVD17.2.2 ECU to control the newest Bosch pump. Normalized everything else but the response curves are different. New intake cam on order from Germany. Guess I'll just fume while I wait for delivery. Friggin BMW.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Well the old cam only had 1900 miles on it so probably not much difference. On a positive note I'll have both versions of the intake cam if I decide to go the more complicated route with the cams later on. I've also got a little time now to go back and do some more work on re-designing my short-ram intake which will be going on later.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:53 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Well the old cam only had 1900 miles on it so probably not much difference. On a positive note I'll have both versions of the intake cam if I decide to go the more complicated route with the cams later on. I've also got a little time now to go back and do some more work on re-designing my short-ram intake which will be going on later.
How much did you pay to flow the head, are the valves larger also?

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
$800 to flow the heads then $100 labor to replace the valves afterwards. Same size as stock 29mm intake, 26mm exhaust, lower stems undercut for better flow, upper stems gun drilled to save weight. There's no room in the cc for larger valves due to shrouding. Ferrea has an office about half a mile from where I work :-) If I were going to do it again I'd ceramacoat the cc, valve face and piston crowns.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:13 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tigger. A question referencing your under cut valves. There not under cut on the N18 motors ? Mine were. Also, did they have a back cut on the intake valves ? When I disassembled mine, we checked the angles thru a optic machine. They were 37 with with a 30 degree back cut. Just curious. Look into the Cerakote V-136 for ceramic coating. With a bead blast cabinet using the red oxide material. You can do it yourself. Wife might not like the oven in the house be used for it tho. . Pretty easy to do.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Not sure if they were or what the angles were. I can check and see if the machine shop kept the old ones. Funny you should mention wives cause I put my DP in the oven for a final bake before installation. My wife wasn't real happy about it either. My argument was "What? We cook in ceramic dishes for crying out loud". Now if I was rebuilding a shovel head in the living room....

Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 PM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Not sure if they were or what the angles were. I can check and see if the machine shop kept the old ones. Funny you should mention wives cause I put my DP in the oven for a final bake before installation. My wife wasn't real happy about it either. My argument was "What? We cook in ceramic dishes for crying out loud". Now if I was rebuilding a shovel head in the living room....
tigger, youre hysterical..she must luv u as does mine, the crazy Shiat we do...lmao!

Quick Reply: Tigger 2.0