JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Wow, why is a JCW crap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 02:08 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tit

MINI COOPER S JCW
"Like all Icons the MINI is expensive, and that's the problem"

"A new MINI S Chilli? $41,900. A John Cooper Works (154kW) tuning kit? $9859. 18 inch alloy wheels and tyres? $4835. Sport Brake Package? $1885. Sport suspension? $1430. Carbon Fibre trim? $3340.50. Seats (front)? $5590. Seats (rear)? $2185. Aero Kit? $2455. Bonnet Stripes and chequered flag roof decal? $487. Paying $73,957.50 for a MINI: Bloody Ridiculous.

It gets worse for MINI. There's a bevy of warriors sitting south of its $74k sticker price waiting to grab your attention and dollar, all are more powerful and all are more capable. Here goes: HSV ClubSport DTS ($71,975) (another link), Nissan 350Z 35th Anniversary ($67,990), FPV F6 Typhoon ($58,590), Mitsubishi EVO VIII ($61,990), Subaru WRX STi ($56,630). Wanna twist the knife? How about Alfa's 147 GTA, which in manual trim will set you back about $59,990, and even BMW's upcoming 195kW 130i is priced at a low, by comparison, $62k.

(clipity)

Swathed, pointlessly, in expensive carbon-fibre, both inside and out, oru test car was an abject lesson in gimmicktry pushed to the extreme.
uh... so they added every expensive item possible that doesn't give anything performancewise? aero kit, carbon fiber trim, all the seats? those come out to well over 10,000. and aren't even really offered by the competition.

They even go on to bash the carbon fiber that they added on as an option!!!!

Just because MINI gives so many possibilities in terms of options doesn't mean they had to spec them all.

with all that said, the MINI is on the more expensive side, but that's what you pay for a nice looking car. If everybody really wanted to, they could drive in an ugly car that goes fast. Some people like a quick bang, but MINI owners make sure that bang is really good.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by Greatbear
So far I only have a crappy intake which I got for practically nothing with a set of crappy injectors. I'd like to hear more about those crappy brakes.
Watch what you say about my intake and injectors!

BTW: This guy is rolling around in his grave right about now.........

Old 09-23-2005, 02:33 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is an endless and useless debate. Who really cares?

If your happy with that piece of CRAP you bought for the price you pay ... then peace be with you ... have fun. If your happy adding your own bits and pieces from different vendors, Good for you (an excellent hobby) ... peace be with you to.

Bottom line ... Peace ... in the end, we are all, basically, driving the same car, sharing the same enthusiasm.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:20 PM
BabyHueyVFR
1st Gear
I just love it when writers try and do a comprehensive analysis. Anyone guess what variable they forgot to include in their bang for the buck analysis? I’ll give you a hint cost is not what you paid for the car its how much the car cost you while you owned it. So I go buy a WRX for 20K (MSRP was 24K so I got a deal) and a MC for 22K (MSRP was only 20K so I paid a 2K over) back in 2003, (MSN AUTOS NUMBERS NOT MINE) drive it for two years, put say 30K miles on it. Blue book on the WRX is 19K so total cost was 1k. For the MINI Blue book is 21.5K so my cost was .5K. I am trying all I can, dropping 4k out of the WRX list and adding 2K to the MINI and the MINI is still less.

I guess my point is if you buy a 911 for 100K and sell it in 4 years for 100k well your not getting any bang for your buck as you did not spend any money at all.

I guess it just goes to show you can make any analysis come to the conclusion you want if you set up the formulas right.

Oh check this out, according to MSN if you paid MSRP for your 2003 you can sell it for a profit. So that makes the bang for your buck negitive no wonder it lost.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pr...=96802#trimsel

Old 09-23-2005, 03:22 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
This is an endless and useless debate. Who really cares?

If your happy with that piece of CRAP you bought for the price you pay ... then peace be with you ... have fun. If your happy adding your own bits and pieces from different vendors, Good for you (an excellent hobby) ... peace be with you to.

Bottom line ... Peace ... in the end, we are all, basically, driving the same car, sharing the same enthusiasm.
There is no room for a moderate, centrist, compromise, middle of the road position in this thread..........all or nothing......us against them......with us or against us is all that is tolerated here...on this subject........thousands are screaming in front of their computers..."please don't ruin the fun:impatient I'm having reading all this cra ....." dare I say it........."cra "...........no I just can't

Old 09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BabyHueyVFR
For the MINI Blue book is 21.5K so my cost was .5K. I am trying all I can, dropping 4k out of the WRX list and adding 2K to the MINI and the MINI is still less.
Where are you getting your numbers from? If you got to kbb, look up private sale of a Good 2003 mcs, 30K miles its 19K, not 21.5K

Old 09-23-2005, 04:09 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by chows4us
However, some of our cars are much crappier than others. Mine, for example, is just unbelievably crappy. I mean, you'd just have to drive it to appreciate it's complete and utter crappiness.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:15 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by roehrigs01
How did you manage that crap?
Well, I just said to the sales guy, "Look, you and I both know this car is complete crap, so there is no way I'm going to pay full price." He had no comeback to this. The logic of my crapcentric argument was undeniable.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:17 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
However, some of our cars are much crappier than others. Mine, for example, is just unbelievably crappy. I mean, you'd just have to drive it to appreciate it's complete and utter crappiness.
Dude, I know CRAP when I see it I've seen so much CRAP in my life that ... well lets say I'm CRAPPED out.

Now if we were talking about CRAPS, then I LOVE CRAPS (but that is another thread for OT) I LOVE CRAPS so much that I'd love to play CRAPS in my CRAPPY car

Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
As another crappy car owner, let me take this opportunity to announce the formation of Team Craptastic. Feel free to add it to your sig and be a proud flag flying team member.

A_Sr.
Done.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Absorbine_Sr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Done.
Thank God. I thought I was the only one brave enough to wave the crap flag....

And with that image I'm out of here!!

A_Sr.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:49 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Me too. Crap on, brother!

Old 09-23-2005, 08:12 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, I wish I could be crappy! I want that sig

Randy

Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Would I be considered a Founder Member?

Old 09-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Absorbine_Sr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
Would I be considered a Founder Member?
Absolutely.

Crap on.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Absorbine_Sr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
Man, I wish I could be crappy! I want that sig

Randy
Randy can be the first honorary member of Team Craptastic if it is approved by the founding members.

Fellas?

Old 09-23-2005, 09:03 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Yes!
I as a founding member approve!

Check out my sig, the color is so appropriate!

Mikey

Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
He looks like he has to take a crap!

Old 09-23-2005, 09:16 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
ANYWAY,
Back to the crappy topic at hand...

If I wanted my JCW MINI after the warranty's up, to have say 230hp without making it outragiously obnoxious (in other words, ricey), how is the safe way of going about it? In other words what can I do?

My uncle said the other day that polished/ported heads on a car like this is BS. AND BELIEVE ME, he knows something about cars. He said that since the air is being crammed in there, there really isn't a need for it. Is he right?

My planned performance Mods after JCW/Warranty:
Spark Plug Wires
Coil Pack
Alta Short Shifter

Help me finish my list!

Mikey

Old 09-23-2005, 09:38 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Actually, the head is one of the places we've really found a lot of power - as have others. There are a couple of tricks that I'd like to keep up my sleeve, but our head has bigger valves, different ports and more lift and duration on the cam. It is just as important on a force induced car to have great flow characteristics - but it is a common misperception, along with intake temps not mattering on a supercharged car (another farce).

Another spot you may be able to make some power is in the intercooler system. The GRS has shown consistent power gains in the 9-11 horsepower range, and there are other pricey ways to go that can yield even more.

A header and more efficient cat-back can also free up a few more ponies.

All of these mods have proven "smooth" and reliable.

Hope that helps!

Randy
First Honorary Member, Team CRAPTASTIC

Old 09-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Actually, the head is one of the places we've really found a lot of power - as have others. There are a couple of tricks that I'd like to keep up my sleeve, but our head has bigger valves, different ports and more lift and duration on the cam. It is just as important on a force induced car to have great flow characteristics - but it is a common misperception, along with intake temps not mattering on a supercharged car (another farce).

Another spot you may be able to make some power is in the intercooler system. The GRS has shown consistent power gains in the 9-11 horsepower range, and there are other pricey ways to go that can yield even more.

A header and more efficient cat-back can also free up a few more ponies.

All of these mods have proven "smooth" and reliable.

Hope that helps!

Randy
First Honorary Member, Team CRAPTASTIC
Randy performed head work for me and it feels great!

Old 09-23-2005, 09:48 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
I just want a MINI that everyone knows has at least 210, but really has 230. I'm saying is there anything that is not obvious? I would like when they open the hood to see that JCW Cover and airbox, and some red sparkplug wires, but really nothing more. I know Madness is selling a cam shaft, is this worth it? I am removing the resonator also after I get the kit so that should be good for a couple!

BUT ABOVE ALL, I WANT MY CAR TO BE REFINED, SMOOTH, AND FEEL LIKE A JCW STOCK BUT WITH SOME MORE KICK!

Any more?

Mikey

Old 09-23-2005, 09:53 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Well, you could stick with the cylinder head (I hear from many folks that my head is the best ). I would also do the ported manifolds and header, which will still retain the sleeper look.

If you are going to do the cam (which we also sell ), the labor is just about the same for the head - if you can afford the part, do both.

I'd be happy to help when you are ready. We have several JCW cars out there with a ton more than the 230hp you are looking for, all smooth and refined.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 09-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Tit
5th Gear
Yes....a couple of mates and I were musing today that BMW insists on handing out a fully loaded JCW as a press car. They did that with the last MCS as well. Ticking every box is just ridiculous. Also....you'll probably find they are comparing a fully loaded crap-wagon to entry-price examples of those compared.... i'm sure I could make an STi pretty expsive by ticking the 'all the pink (STi) bits please' box...

Originally Posted by mataku
uh... so they added every expensive item possible that doesn't give anything performancewise? aero kit, carbon fiber trim, all the seats? those come out to well over 10,000. and aren't even really offered by the competition.

They even go on to bash the carbon fiber that they added on as an option!!!!

Just because MINI gives so many possibilities in terms of options doesn't mean they had to spec them all.

with all that said, the MINI is on the more expensive side, but that's what you pay for a nice looking car. If everybody really wanted to, they could drive in an ugly car that goes fast. Some people like a quick bang, but MINI owners make sure that bang is really good.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Well, you could stick with the cylinder head (I hear from many folks that my head is the best ). I would also do the ported manifolds and header, which will still retain the sleeper look.

If you are going to do the cam (which we also sell ), the labor is just about the same for the head - if you can afford the part, do both.

I'd be happy to help when you are ready. We have several JCW cars out there with a ton more than the 230hp you are looking for, all smooth and refined.

Hope that helps!
Randy
I've been asking you to port my manifold for a year and you won't. Now you're offering it to a complete stranger? We're through!

Quick Reply: Wow, why is a JCW crap?