JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Wow, why is a JCW crap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:38 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SRTech
He'll die cr(h)appy?
Nice.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Craptastic may be even better than whiptastic! Especially if we could recycle crap to run our MINIs...wouldn't that be hot?

Clover
Somebody's been watching old Michael J. Fox movies lately...

Old 09-22-2005, 09:39 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
WOW I used the word crap 11 times in one crappy post!
Make that 12!
Actually I count 13.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What isn't?
JCW products. They arent any better than any other company in terms of performance. Thats what this thread is about isnt it?

Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by XAlfa
(I just screamed and/or hollered.)
I hope you didnt run your foot over with your JCW equipped car

now THAT would be crappy

Old 09-22-2005, 09:43 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
JCW products. They arent any better than any other company in terms of performance.
Maybe not, but they are clearly the crappiest!

Old 09-22-2005, 09:51 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
just my experience/opinion

i've seen these bitz by 'JCW' and really not impressed, the strut bar is nice looking but still not beffy enough, the joints are small and the mounting brackets R thin. doesnt mean it sux just not my style plus the finish needs help.

air box, who does that? (well Dinnan did) its still an enclosed box, worx well w/their hopped up SC not designed to work w/stock application.
brakes for the money i'd rather go w/Brembo (which i am soon) brakes is not something u want to cut corners on i know a few tuner's running this set up and some like it and some dont it all depends on how aggressive u are when it comes to trashing a set of rotors
i bought a set of their C/F bitz (minus the bonnet intake) and there were not all that, fit wise and finish. its not that bad but its not that great either
anyway's why should u care bout this small dilema its ur choice!!
if u like it buy it...its all good!
should not let some of these people that all they do is trash the game get u down..... 'sometimes if u cant afford it, then its better to talk bad about it'

Just something:

I'm am not nor mean to bash any aftermarket accessory in this thread, if you view my sig you would know that I am anything but anti-nonJCW, in fact I plan on putting more non-JCW parts on my car that aren't listed, after the Kit is put on in Jan. I just don't have the space to list them!

Mikey

Old 09-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Maybe not, but they are clearly the crappiest!
I dont believe you....show me the dyno (of crappiness? )!!!

*goes into a ramble about science degrees to back up argument of crappiness numbers*

Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 PM
camelpilot
Banned
JCW aint crap.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
With all that "crap" in you MINI you should draw enough flies to increase airflow which, in theory, should increase performance.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
imagine if VW and JCW teamed up....you could get the VW Dung Beetle

Old 09-22-2005, 10:10 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Or the new MINI Crapper.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
This whole thread is just craptasic...really crapulous.... truly outcrapped yourself this time! Definitely crapanagerial material.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Skiploder
Banned
what do you mean?

I find it funny that they have a pedigree, kind of like a dog, a Bulldog!
Their words, not mine

Old 09-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Skiploder
Banned
I don't have a problem with that, in fact I don't have a problem at all! I'm just curious why he feels this way. Why are they bad in his opinion?

Mikey
Mikey:

While I cannot speak for the poster in question, I would ASSume that he is drawing a comparison between JCW products and their aftermarket counterparts.

- JCW cylinder head vs. WMS/DPR/Cosworth Head = Nod goes to the aftermarket for the bang for the buck.

- JCW Intake vs. Alta Intake = Bang for the buck goes to Alta.

- JCW Superfantabulous Big Brake Kit vs. Just About Anything By TCE = Not even a fair comparison.

- JCW DME vs. GIAC/MTH/Etc. = Well the JCW DME is free, but it also comes free with a cool flat spot and a poopy idle.

Having said that, I am running the JCW CAI and 380 Injectors because I got a craptabulific deal on the set (and I modded the flap).

While I do not think the JCW is crap (I was roundly disappointed in the swaybar), I do think it is overpriced for what you get. If the tradeoff is the warranty, well, I can understand that. That still does not make SOME of their products competitive price and performance-wise.

BTW, I've seen you post before and I have yet to see you have a problem with anyone. In fact, you are exceedingly good natured. In that spirit, please do not take either this post or my prior post as any sort of accusation that you have a problem or a criticism of your choice of go-fast bits.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 PM
LAMINI
Banned
pardon my ignorance

..but, does the "C" stand for Crap in JCW?

Old 09-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Tit
5th Gear
This all reminds me of an article in an Australian car magazine by the name of 'Motor'. Motor, historically, hasn't been a fan of the new mini from the start and often spend their time spanking on about big Aussie V8's. I read it for the first time yesterday and I wanted to reject it with all my soul....but there was still a little voice inside me that squeaked "they have a point you know..."

Anyway...read on...All valus in Aussie Dollars, kW...I've provided links to the Aussie Car models they mention...

Oh yeah....when they mention 'Bang for your Buck', they are referring to an annual test that the mag does whereby they gather performance data on the track as well as other goodies, and scale them all based on the vehicles cost - ie. getting the 'Bang for your Buck Index'....

Please don't flame me for putting this up....but I think you might get an idea of what people are referring to when they make such comments about JCW...

(please excuse spelling)...
MINI COOPER S JCW
"Like all Icons the MINI is expensive, and that's the problem"

"A new MINI S Chilli? $41,900. A John Cooper Works (154kW) tuning kit? $9859. 18 inch alloy wheels and tyres? $4835. Sport Brake Package? $1885. Sport suspension? $1430. Carbon Fibre trim? $3340.50. Seats (front)? $5590. Seats (rear)? $2185. Aero Kit? $2455. Bonnet Stripes and chequered flag roof decal? $487. Paying $73,957.50 for a MINI: Bloody Ridiculous.

It gets worse for MINI. There's a bevy of warriors sitting south of its $74k sticker price waiting to grab your attention and dollar, all are more powerful and all are more capable. Here goes: HSV ClubSport DTS ($71,975) (another link), Nissan 350Z 35th Anniversary ($67,990), FPV F6 Typhoon ($58,590), Mitsubishi EVO VIII ($61,990), Subaru WRX STi ($56,630). Wanna twist the knife? How about Alfa's 147 GTA, which in manual trim will set you back about $59,990, and even BMW's upcoming 195kW 130i is priced at a low, by comparison, $62k.

Now even the JCW loot-at-me stance justify its stupidly high price tag. Add to that its teeth loosening ride and the fine line it walks between corner entry understeer and exit oversteer and there's a shortage of positives in the ledger. It's not that the MINI Cooper S JCW is a bad car, it's just that it costs way too much. And any evaluation of its talent is going to be badly tainted by that fact.

Swathed, pointlessly, in expensive carbon-fibre, both inside and out, oru test car was an abject lesson in gimmicktry pushed to the extreme. And just to remind you why the thing costs so much every retro-fited bit is badged 'JCW' accordingly. That aside, the workstation is pretty good and while the big, roudn dials are a little too 'Toy Town' for some, they're nonetheless clear and relatively easy to read.

The too expensive seats are a bit of a pain in the a r s e, literally.

To adjust 'em, you have to open the door to get at the seat winder, they're too thinly padded and way too narrow around the shoulders.

This made worse by the lack of adjustment in the steering wheel, there's minimal height adjustment and nothing at all for the reach. AS for the 'sporty' back seats, yep, they're comfortable alright, but not for anyone with legs.

It's the engine that cops the biggest work, though. The JCW engineers slipped in a new supercharger and bigger pulley, fitted and a new cylinder head with hand-finished ports, all-new injection nozzles, a modified air-filter system and re-mapped the engine electronics. $9850, please.

AS a result the MINI now offers 154kW at 6950rpm and 245Nm at 4500rpm. SAdly, when we tested it recently at 'Bang for your Buck', the MINI could only manage a 7.17 sec sprint to 100km/h and a 15.34 down the quarter. Not bad, but not great.

What about the rest of it? Well, the gearbox is slick enough with plenty of weight and positive feel, but the clutch is dull and the fly-by-wire throttle takes too long topick up in first gear.

Adding all the gold-gilded fruit hasn't helped the MINI, at all. Buit it has harmed it. For the money, there are plenty more fish in the sea."

(and yes...they think it's a bigger pulley....who am I to edit their comments? )

Old 09-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Tit
5th Gear
Oh yes...you may have noticed from that article....cars are bloody expensive in Australia...especially compared to the US...

Old 09-22-2005, 11:05 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I’m looking at my JCW strut bar right now, and I don’t understand why you say its fit and finish is lack luster... I think it’s beautiful. The fact of the matter is that there will always be lovers and there will always be haters. JCW is in the position of being loved and hated because of its exclusive position as the official performance upgrade for the mini. However, JCW is not alone in its ridicule. Let’s look at m7 with the entire AGS fiasco. Some love it and swear by it, other hate it and slam everybody who uses it... It’s a difference of opinion. If you like it, that’s great! If you have a problem with it, that’s great too, but don’t slam people who like it.

-Blake

Old 09-22-2005, 11:34 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
yikes......

good reads & facts, but as far as that Flat-4 (WRx) theres plenty of problems w/it to soft of piston rings in it, to much power for drivetrain to handle i cant remember what all i've read on this eagered flat 4 but it has its faults much like mini's i know a slew of homies that have these so i know first hand, the Z car is kool, was rated much better than the Boxter but then again its Porsche's newest addition of poor mans Porsche (its not a porsche if its not a 911:smile:
the others i know nothing bout.
'bang for the buck' is going to be tuff for this car cuz its all over priced and under researched, just my feelings on this, its not just this car that suffers from bad 'go fast bitz' i've tuned plenty of rides and have plenty more to do but when it comes to 'bang for the buck' it hurts all over w/any car u choose to mod. for the most part i feel that people spend to much $$ on the little stuff seeing very little gains which continues to fuel inferior products. might be a little over the top w/that last statement
Originally Posted by Tit
This all reminds me of an article in an Australian car magazine by the name of 'Motor'. Motor, historically, hasn't been a fan of the new mini from the start and often spend their time spanking on about big Aussie V8's. I read it for the first time yesterday and I wanted to reject it with all my soul....but there was still a little voice inside me that squeaked "they have a point you know..."

Anyway...read on...All valus in Aussie Dollars, kW...I've provided links to the Aussie Car models they mention...

Oh yeah....when they mention 'Bang for your Buck', they are referring to an annual test that the mag does whereby they gather performance data on the track as well as other goodies, and scale them all based on the vehicles cost - ie. getting the 'Bang for your Buck Index'....

Please don't flame me for putting this up....but I think you might get an idea of what people are referring to when they make such comments about JCW...

(please excuse spelling)...
MINI COOPER S JCW
"Like all Icons the MINI is expensive, and that's the problem"

"A new MINI S Chilli? $41,900. A John Cooper Works (154kW) tuning kit? $9859. 18 inch alloy wheels and tyres? $4835. Sport Brake Package? $1885. Sport suspension? $1430. Carbon Fibre trim? $3340.50. Seats (front)? $5590. Seats (rear)? $2185. Aero Kit? $2455. Bonnet Stripes and chequered flag roof decal? $487. Paying $73,957.50 for a MINI: Bloody Ridiculous.

It gets worse for MINI. There's a bevy of warriors sitting south of its $74k sticker price waiting to grab your attention and dollar, all are more powerful and all are more capable. Here goes: HSV ClubSport DTS ($71,975) (another link), Nissan 350Z 35th Anniversary ($67,990), FPV F6 Typhoon ($58,590), Mitsubishi EVO VIII ($61,990), Subaru WRX STi ($56,630). Wanna twist the knife? How about Alfa's 147 GTA, which in manual trim will set you back about $59,990, and even BMW's upcoming 195kW 130i is priced at a low, by comparison, $62k.

Now even the JCW loot-at-me stance justify its stupidly high price tag. Add to that its teeth loosening ride and the fine line it walks between corner entry understeer and exit oversteer and there's a shortage of positives in the ledger. It's not that the MINI Cooper S JCW is a bad car, it's just that it costs way too much. And any evaluation of its talent is going to be badly tainted by that fact.

Swathed, pointlessly, in expensive carbon-fibre, both inside and out, oru test car was an abject lesson in gimmicktry pushed to the extreme. And just to remind you why the thing costs so much every retro-fited bit is badged 'JCW' accordingly. That aside, the workstation is pretty good and while the big, roudn dials are a little too 'Toy Town' for some, they're nonetheless clear and relatively easy to read.

The too expensive seats are a bit of a pain in the a r s e, literally.

To adjust 'em, you have to open the door to get at the seat winder, they're too thinly padded and way too narrow around the shoulders.

This made worse by the lack of adjustment in the steering wheel, there's minimal height adjustment and nothing at all for the reach. AS for the 'sporty' back seats, yep, they're comfortable alright, but not for anyone with legs.

It's the engine that cops the biggest work, though. The JCW engineers slipped in a new supercharger and bigger pulley, fitted and a new cylinder head with hand-finished ports, all-new injection nozzles, a modified air-filter system and re-mapped the engine electronics. $9850, please.

AS a result the MINI now offers 154kW at 6950rpm and 245Nm at 4500rpm. SAdly, when we tested it recently at 'Bang for your Buck', the MINI could only manage a 7.17 sec sprint to 100km/h and a 15.34 down the quarter. Not bad, but not great.

What about the rest of it? Well, the gearbox is slick enough with plenty of weight and positive feel, but the clutch is dull and the fly-by-wire throttle takes too long topick up in first gear.

Adding all the gold-gilded fruit hasn't helped the MINI, at all. Buit it has harmed it. For the money, there are plenty more fish in the sea."

(and yes...they think it's a bigger pulley....who am I to edit their comments? )

Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
i assume ur referin' to me, i didnt say bar had issues w/fit i said C/F bitz did (fit and finish) im far from, a hate candidate!! my issue w/JCW bar is the way its mounting plates where designed joints R weak & just not beefy enough for me(opinion) and the welds R sloppy, theres another person on here who has observed the same thing. U should look at M7's bar and see the kind of stuff im into not as pretty, but my taste as far as looks and function. **not tryin' to 'slam' this stuff its jus an opinion**

i've said it b4 'u like it u buy it', its ur $$

Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
I’m looking at my JCW strut bar right now, and I don’t understand why you say its fit and finish is lack luster... I think it’s beautiful. The fact of the matter is that there will always be lovers and there will always be haters. JCW is in the position of being loved and hated because of its exclusive position as the official performance upgrade for the mini. However, JCW is not alone in its ridicule. Let’s look at m7 with the entire AGS fiasco. Some love it and swear by it, other hate it and slam everybody who uses it... It’s a difference of opinion. If you like it, that’s great! If you have a problem with it, that’s great too, but don’t slam people who like it.

-Blake

Old 09-23-2005, 12:36 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Joker,

I was in no way refering to you, but to the entire comunity. We need to learn to accept each others choices in parts. My AGS example was just another thing to show you how rooted some people are to a certain brand (Alta...). Its almost as bad as the Manchester United following

In reference to your comments about the poor workmanship noticed by another user, i saw the thread. I also told him that my JCW strut bar is of fine quality. Granted, the m7 and dinian bars probably work better, but on a car that dosent really need a strut bar anyways (its bling people... comeon!) im gona go with the best looking one. Just my humble opinion on everything...

Another thing/ I only payed $250 for my JCW bar. It was worth it to me to pay $50 more than the m7 bar to get a JCW product.

Originally Posted by joker
i assume ur referin' to me, i didnt say bar had issues w/fit i said C/F bitz did (fit and finish) im far from, a hate candidate!! my issue w/JCW bar is the way its mounting plates where designed joints R weak & just not beefy enough for me(opinion) and the welds R sloppy, theres another person on here who has observed the same thing. U should look at M7's bar and see the kind of stuff im into not as pretty, but my taste as far as looks and function. **not tryin' to 'slam' this stuff its jus an opinion**

i've said it b4 'u like it u buy it', its ur $$

Old 09-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
It's craptastic!!
I may have to drive north, just so I can see your crappy car!

And for you SNL fans:
If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!

Old 09-23-2005, 04:55 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
It was my post so I'll respond

I LIKE JCW stuff.....I think their quality is very high and have considered ordering a new all JCW car. I went to R Speed to BUY the brace.....Joe pulled it out of the box and I was very disappointed...... The welds are sloppy.... the plateing/polishing has stress marks....... and on and on(already stated). Based on what some people have posted, I think this one some how got through QC and that this is not indicative of the quality..... I am happy to accept that.

I am a manufactures representative and have been for 25 years.....I have rep'd over 200 companies/factories from the US, China, Tai Wan, UK, France, Japan, Mexico on and on. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for a succeessful company to "phone" one in. It seemed to me this might be what was happening......a quality company growing too fast and looseing (sp?) control of quality, customer service etc.

Again, I think the JCW cars are very nice and I always take extra notice of them.......I have stated many times that if I had it to do over I might go that route......SO.....I don't think JCW is crap.....it is expensive.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:24 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Doh - there you go...

Originally Posted by SpiderX
.....I don't think JCW is crap.....it is expensive.
He told you not to bring up that word!

Quick Reply: Wow, why is a JCW crap?