JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Wow, why is a JCW crap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 06:14 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JCW Crap?? Don't think so.

My only complaint about the JCW kit was its delayed entry to our shores. For those of us who purchased our MCSes in '02 there was precious little in the way of aftermarket go fast equipment available. I recall that I was one of the first to be modified with a 15% Alta Pulley at Randy Webb's Cincinnati Pulley Party in June of '03. The quality and reliability of this and other mods I've done to date have really impressed me. My car is much more agile and quicker than stock (for a 9/02 production car anyway). Driveability has remained very good, with only the suspension mods having any negative impressions, and this due to the poor quality of the streets upon which I traverse rather than on the quality of the product.

If I were to purchase a new MCS today, I think I'd be marking many JCW boxes on the order form. It's top quality, craptastic stuff.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:24 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is crap:smile:

It's been said; I'll say it again - people are entitled to their opinions and we are entitled to not listen should we choose. I hope that this forum is just that, a forum which is open. It irks me to find out someone was kicked out, but I don't know the story at all.

Kudos to whoever used 'craptastic' above.

mb

Old 09-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So much use of the word "crap" can only mean one thing:

Old 09-23-2005, 06:26 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
So much use of the word "crap" can only mean one thing:

You stupid crap-for-crap!

Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Greatbear
Originally Posted by mbcoops
You stupid crap-for-crap!
Crapfully yours!

Old 09-23-2005, 07:54 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
I may have to drive north, just so I can see your crappy car!
Sure, stop by. My house is the one with the completely crappy car parked out front.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:04 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Oh, and my stripped S with all the JCW engine crap was just over $26k. That's a pretty crappy deal, eh?

Old 09-23-2005, 08:09 AM
matthewz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I dont believe you....show me the dyno (of crappiness? )!!!
Dyno of Crappiness?

I'm gonna go wait in the "Fortress of Solitude" until this *****-storm blows over..

Not beefy enough? That's crazy talk. It's not going in an F150, and it's honestly just street bling for most. Over-do it on the beefiness of a component compared to the rest of the system, and you get a piece strong enough to BREAK the rest of the system. Compliance is a good thing, in all designs.

Cheers,
Matthew Z.

P.S. Maybe you should wait for Jacob's new strut brace. Or get the "Paris Hilton" edition. Rhinestones, natch

Old 09-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Greatbear
I knew someone would want crappy numbers.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:54 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
It was my post so I'll respond

I LIKE JCW stuff.....I think their quality is very high and have considered ordering a new all JCW car. I went to R Speed to BUY the brace.....Joe pulled it out of the box and I was very disappointed...... The welds are sloppy.... the plateing/polishing has stress marks....... and on and on(already stated). Based on what some people have posted, I think this one some how got through QC and that this is not indicative of the quality..... I am happy to accept that.

I am a manufactures representative and have been for 25 years.....I have rep'd over 200 companies/factories from the US, China, Tai Wan, UK, France, Japan, Mexico on and on. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for a succeessful company to "phone" one in. It seemed to me this might be what was happening......a quality company growing too fast and looseing (sp?) control of quality, customer service etc.

Again, I think the JCW cars are very nice and I always take extra notice of them.......I have stated many times that if I had it to do over I might go that route......SO.....I don't think JCW is crap.....it is expensive.
Spider it was not you. Though it was in your thread, I in no way hold that against you. The post I am referring to called for a "thread to demistify all JCW parts." I don't like to mention names so I will not, if you read on down the thread you will find out who I am talking about. This, is the only thing that set me off.

Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
"thread to demistify all JCW parts."
I just read this and it sounds as if I'm a terrorist speaking of the infidel!

Mikey

Old 09-23-2005, 09:57 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
"thread to demistify all JCW parts."
We need to rage a mod war against these tyrants!

Old 09-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Absorbine_Sr
3rd Gear
As another crappy car owner, let me take this opportunity to announce the formation of Team Craptastic. Feel free to add it to your sig and be a proud flag flying team member.

A_Sr.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Those last two posts have been a result of having a wireless internet connection in every classroom in my school, and having a U.S. History teacher who is trying to lecture us about stuff I already know, in a monotone voice! :impatient

Old 09-23-2005, 10:08 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
Mikey:

While I cannot speak for the poster in question, I would ASSume that he is drawing a comparison between JCW products and their aftermarket counterparts.

- JCW cylinder head vs. WMS/DPR/Cosworth Head = Nod goes to the aftermarket for the bang for the buck.

- JCW Intake vs. Alta Intake = Bang for the buck goes to Alta.

- JCW Superfantabulous Big Brake Kit vs. Just About Anything By TCE = Not even a fair comparison.

- JCW DME vs. GIAC/MTH/Etc. = Well the JCW DME is free, but it also comes free with a cool flat spot and a poopy idle.

Having said that, I am running the JCW CAI and 380 Injectors because I got a craptabulific deal on the set (and I modded the flap).

While I do not think the JCW is crap (I was roundly disappointed in the swaybar), I do think it is overpriced for what you get. If the tradeoff is the warranty, well, I can understand that. That still does not make SOME of their products competitive price and performance-wise.

BTW, I've seen you post before and I have yet to see you have a problem with anyone. In fact, you are exceedingly good natured. In that spirit, please do not take either this post or my prior post as any sort of accusation that you have a problem or a criticism of your choice of go-fast bits.

So for future reference once my warranty ran out if I wanted to keep a few of my JCW parts but add different more perfromance oriented parts, while still keeping it smooth what would I keep and what would I throw out? And don't say everything!

Mikey

Old 09-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Greatbear
So far I only have a crappy intake which I got for practically nothing with a set of crappy injectors. I'd like to hear more about those crappy brakes.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:31 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
if ur going to use this mod for the prevention of blown (ballonning) strut mounts its not beffy enough theres not enough material to sandwhich it down snug to prevent this....regardless if this mod worx or not id rather go w/a beffier set up for good security purposes
Originally Posted by matthewz
Dyno of Crappiness?

I'm gonna go wait in the "Fortress of Solitude" until this *****-storm blows over..

Not beefy enough? That's crazy talk. It's not going in an F150, and it's honestly just street bling for most. Over-do it on the beefiness of a component compared to the rest of the system, and you get a piece strong enough to BREAK the rest of the system. Compliance is a good thing, in all designs.

Cheers,
Matthew Z.

P.S. Maybe you should wait for Jacob's new strut brace. Or get the "Paris Hilton" edition. Rhinestones, natch

Old 09-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Skiploder
Banned
So for future reference once my warranty ran out if I wanted to keep a few of my JCW parts but add different more perfromance oriented parts, while still keeping it smooth what would I keep and what would I throw out? And don't say everything!

Mikey
Mikey:

1. The brake kit - TCE has better goods for the $$$$$$$. No comparison.

2. The cylinder head. The JCW is a mild port and polish (if that). For similar $$$ I can name at least three shops that outside of full race porting, also include the shrick cam and upgraded valves.

3. The intake is OK - as I said, I'm using it, but the Alta offers better performance for less bucks.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Oh, and my stripped S with all the JCW engine crap was just over $26k. That's a pretty crappy deal, eh?
How did you manage that crap?

Old 09-23-2005, 11:31 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
jus to add to that, three angled valves hopped up 'valve guides' & springs...........
Mikey:

1. The brake kit - TCE has better goods for the $$$$$$$. No comparison.

2. The cylinder head. The JCW is a mild port and polish (if that). For similar $$$ I can name at least three shops that outside of full race porting, also include the shrick cam and upgraded valves.

3. The intake is OK - as I said, I'm using it, but the Alta offers better performance for less bucks.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:25 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW, such expensive CRAP. I wonder why JCW, MINI, and BMW sell that CRAP??? Why would BMW sully its reputation selling CRAP? Maybe nobody buys it, after all, who wants to buy CRAP when I get LOTS of it for FREE

If anyone wants some CRAP, I get plenty of it ... maybe I can put that CRAP up on eBay and make some money on it

Old 09-23-2005, 01:44 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
So far I only have a crappy intake which I got for practically nothing with a set of crappy injectors. I'd like to hear more about those crappy brakes.
They definetly are a huge improvement over stock, but like skiploder said they are no where near as nice as the TCE, but the TCEs are also I think a little more expensive.

Mikey

Old 09-23-2005, 01:45 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Mikey:
Who are they?

Old 09-23-2005, 01:51 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

:smile:

Old 09-23-2005, 02:02 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com

:smile:
Holy Crap!.... That would scare the crap outa me at a stoplight...

Old 09-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Who are they?
In no particular order:

1. ENDYN* (I believe they have their own cam).

2. DPR

3. CHR

4. Cosworth

5. WMS

BTW: A comparable TCE kit is under $1,000.00. The top of the line TCE kit is less than $1,300.00. What's the JCW run? $1,065.00? Compare what you get for roughly the same price - the TCE kits are a steal.

Quick Reply: Wow, why is a JCW crap?