Is this a JCW Mini or not? - Page 11 - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > JCW Garage
Is this a JCW Mini or not? >

Is this a JCW Mini or not?

JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Is this a JCW Mini or not?

Old 01-19-2019, 08:36 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Thanks Wayne, it's been an interesting project to say the least..... I actually can't wait to give it a test drive soon.....as you said, I hope no more bugs come up. There's still a recall for the passenger seat air bag mat that has never been done on the car yet, as soon as I get the car driving and licensed, I'll make an appointment with the dealer to have it replaced.

I think after I get it on the road for some shake down runs, I'm going to have to get tires and maybe a battery.....the front tires are a bit smaller than the rears, so I'm pretty sure that the "tire monitor light" will come on due to the different sizes on the car.

Alignment will be needed as well.

Thanks again, Wayne.... hope you are doing good down there

Bryan

Old 01-21-2019, 03:55 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Update: 1-21-2019

Drivers front seat repaired, picked up & installed today.....very happy with the stitching repair....can't even tell that it was repaired......cost me $165

Need to find my replacement decals for the front & rear MINI wing badges that I bought a while back.....looked all over the garage and house today for them....not found........crap!!

I think I can let the car down off the jack stands now.....I can't think of any reason for it to be up in the air anymore....the brakes are done, trans fluid is full, the wheels all turn freely now, both front wheels turn when in gear......and I don't see any drips or puddles of any type of fluid under the front of the car since the engine install......

Getting closer for test drives.......

Bryan

Old 01-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Husky44
1st Gear
Looks good. Time to get it on the road! You've done an excellent job bringing this one back. I hope the test drive exceeds all expectations.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:40 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Update: 1-22-2019

Found my replacement stickers for the front & rear MINI wing badges on the front & rear of the car......guess if I cleaned off my table next to my chair I might be able to find the items I have lost.......anyway, the new stickers are on the badges, see pics below

Double checked all the fluids, aired up the tires, and had to replace the battery with another good used one I have here.....engine would not even turn over, just clicked.....so I put the other battery in, got the car down off the jack stands, put my scanner in the OBD II connector and checked for codes.....there were a few, mostly in the BCM module because of the LED rear tail lights and the LED interior lights that I installed.....had one for passenger air bag fault, (I will get that fixed under warranty soon), also had a code for rear O2 sensor voltage high, (all I have done is run the car in the garage, so I will ignore that one for now. Instrument cluster had an air bag code fault also........

So I cleared all the faults, pulled the car outside, checked all the outside lights again for operation and ventured out for a drive.......first thing I noticed was that the ABS was kicking in when I started off from a stop......took me a couple minutes and then I realized I had to turn the DSC off because of the two different tire sizes on the car from front to rear.......ABS noise problem solved, at least for now until I forget to turn the DSC off every time I get into the car.

The car ran fine, has new clutch & brakes all around...will take time to seat in......tires are "square"....will be corrected when a new set of tires are purchased. Heater, wipers, radio, cruise control all work, although I don't like the little "butterfly buttons" on the '06 steering wheel....I like the larger buttons on my '04 R53 steering wheel better.....

One thing I did notice is that the heater-AC controls are a bit different between my two MINI's.....both have the automatic climate control systems.....but my '04 R53 car has an "OFF" button....the '06 R52 does not....took me a while to finally keep pressing the "fan speed switch" in the down position to completely turn off the system.....the heater sure works good in both car, that's for sure.

I put 17 miles on the car for it's maiden voyage out this morning.....a mixture of around town and freeway driving.......the "only" issue with the car right now is that I have a "gear clash" noise when shifting into 4th gear....no noise at all in any of the other gears, only 4th.....it's like the syncro is bad.....it's worse and noisier when I shift fast...if I go slower, or more normal, it's still there but not as bad.....I may put a couple small bottles of that special stinky posi-traction lube in the trans and see if it helps.....but for now, I'll live with the noise

Engine runs fine, no noise, no smoke, no check engine light......I'm a bit disappointed in the power output, or lack of for that matter.....I think my R53 MCS pulls better than this JCW engine....unless it's because the convertible weighs a lot, but still, I feel it should pull better than what I felt today.....I need to get a boost gauge on the car like I have in the R53.....that might tell me more

Got back home, pulled the car back into the garage, hooked the scanner up to see if there were any codes that came out during the test drive.....no codes at all, even the air bag codes are gone as well.....only codes were for the rear tail & brake lights due to the LED tails in the car....(pictures of tail lights are at the beginning of this thread)

So.....it's supposed to be crappy weather for the next week or so....that will give me time to clean up the garage and put parts & pieces away for the car.....I still need to get license tabs, tires, a battery, and that trans additive.......

Bryan

Old 01-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Husky44
1st Gear
YAAAYYYY!!!! Great job getting this project to finished... well, you know what I mean.

I'm interested in the performance drop-off from your other car... Your R53 has a pulley, right?

Maybe we can find a dry day in a few weeks and compare performance between this car and mine... No performance mods that I'm aware of, although by next weekend I'll be sporting a new Valeo clutch. Taking mine in Monday to get clutch replaced, rearm main seal and input shaft seal replaced, control arm poly bushings installed, and SC serviced. New radiator hoses and PS hoses going on, along with a new fan resistor.

By then, hopefully the rain will have stopped for a few days... Or I won't need a Mini, I'll need a jon boat.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:07 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Yea, my '04 R53 has the 15% pulley, and one of the rear mufflers was taken off, other than those 2 items, it's completely stock......I can get over 15lbs of boost with my hardtop......and it pulls hard.....I just don't "feel it" with the R52.....I'll look for a boost gauge this week to install

Maybe it's the weight difference, maybe it's the transmission gearing difference....not sure.....but there is a difference and I'm not pleased about it.....

Contact me when ya wanna come over and compare cars.....weather permitting

Bryan

Old 01-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Husky44
1st Gear
Originally Posted by A383Wing View Post
Yea, my '04 R53 has the 15% pulley, and one of the rear mufflers was taken off,

Bryan
Have you been able to pass IM with the exhaust mod? Thinking about doing this, but not sure if I have to pass a visual and if this would make me fail? Otherwise I will wait until next year when IM inspections are phased out.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:40 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Congrats, after all of that work it must be really satisfying to finally be driving it!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
Have you been able to pass IM with the exhaust mod? Thinking about doing this, but not sure if I have to pass a visual and if this would make me fail? Otherwise I will wait until next year when IM inspections are phased out.
No visual is done. On OBD II vehicles, all they do is scan the ECM for codes, if no codes, or pending codes, you pass. Your car also has to have all the trip parameters completed as well. You cannot disconnect the battery to clear codes and reconnect to go through emissions

Did that make sense?

Bryan

The Following User Says Thank You to A383Wing For This Useful Post:
Husky44 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI View Post
Congrats, after all of that work it must be really satisfying to finally be driving it!
Yes, it's satisfying to finally get to actually drive the car.... although, as I stated before, I'm a little disappointed at the lack of power the car has.

The job is still going on, and I appreciate your help in all of this, thank you

Bryan (not done yet)

Old 01-23-2019, 03:16 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Update: 1-23-2019

WELL CRAP!!!!!

Decided to take another drive today, the only emissions test that has not been completed is the evap system.....I have to have it complete before I can go through emissions to get my tabs....

Had the wife in the car, took her for the drive, it was raining, wipers were on, doing 50mph or so down the freeway in the right hand lane, felt a little vibration, figured the tires were out of balance......then all of a sudden the left front of the car drops to the ground and the left front tire takes off down the freeway and ends up in the grassy median about 1/4 mile away from the car....luckily the runaway wheel & tire didn't hit anyone. I got the car stopped without incident. We are OK, the wife was a little shook up.

After I walked down the median and found the wheel, I carried it back to the car and put it in the trunk, had to fold down the rear seats to get it in
I looked at the wheel and the front hub, all the lug bolts were gone, not broken off, but just gone......don't ask me what happened, I know I hammered them all on with my impact gun.....

.I sat there in the drivers seat for a minute to gather my thoughts......called 911, an officer was there in less than a couple minutes after I called......he asked if I needed a tow truck, I told him no, all we needed was a ride back home to get my floor jack and the other lug bolts. We were less than 3 miles from our house....he gave us both a ride home.....the little MINI sat on the side of the freeway, all alone, in the rain.

After we got home, I tried to find the lug bolts that I took off the car that were on it when I got it.....couldn't find them, I may have thrown them away because they were way too short....Hmmmm......now what.....so I gathered my aluminum floor jack, my breaker bar, socket, and a couple rags, put them in the car and we went back down to rescue the MINI.

I looked at the threaded holes in the left hub, no broken lug bolts in there......OK, so I jacked up the car, took one lug bolt off of each of the remaining wheels and put the runaway wheel back on with 3 lug bolts. Lowered the car back down, and drove home, put the car in the garage, and called it a day.

I took a quick look underneath the car and it looks like all I may need is just a ball joint......doing 50mph down the freeway without a front wheel & tire seems to have ground off the ball joint stud & lower nut......I'll know more when I get the car back up on jack stands and see how the lower control arm is. Ii also broke some of the attaching clips for the plastic arch piece on the hood.....I have those clips here, my R53 needed some

I really hate those European style lug bolts with the threads on them.....it's a real pain to get a wheel attached trying to get the wheel aligned with the hub hole and then get the lug bolt started......my '04 R53 has studs screwed into the hubs with regular lug "nuts" to attach the wheel.......guess I need to find a lug stud set for this R52

Well, that's my excitement for the day.....

Bryan

Old 01-23-2019, 04:17 PM
scubus
3rd Gear
Wow, glad you are okay. That is a strange incident...

Old 01-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Husky44
1st Gear
Wow! That's quite the adventure! Glad it ended with little damage and no injuries!

I hope this hasn't soured you or your wife on the car.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:01 AM
Jamman1989
Neutral
Really glad that your wife and you didn't get hurt, sounds like a pretty hairy accident. I've been following the thread for awhile now and it must have been a real kick in the rear to have this happen after you just got the car running. But hey, we've all been there. Project cars are really NEVER complete, now are they?

Old 01-25-2019, 08:35 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Update: 1-25-2019

The car has sat in the garage since I got it home from the little incident a few days ago. I have not given up on the car, we've had a little medical issue with our dog over the last few days. She had a fatty tumor that had to be removed from inside her rear thigh area. The doctor said it was the size of a tennis ball. She's home now and doing fine. Picture of Bella is below.

I plan on going out to the garage this weekend and get the car back up in the air to survey the damages. I have a couple lower ball joints on the way, I think the control arm is still good. I'm concerned about the wheel hub, the lug threads in particular, I don't think I can save the threads.

I've been searching for a new hub and bearing assembly, but most of what I have been finding has the 12mm threads for the wheels, my car is one of the last '06 models made in September of 2006, it's got the 14mm wheel threads.

I'm wondering if the 2007 hub is the same for my '06 car....of course the '07 hub is a lot more money, figures.

I need to fix the hood arch also, should be an easy fix by replacing the broken holding clips.

I'll take pics and post my findings of the damages

Bryan

Old 01-26-2019, 12:04 PM
whitesilvermini
Neutral
Whew!

Hey Bryan,
I have been following your progress now for as long as you have been posting and have to say you didn’t deserve this last hiccup. Really happy that neither you or your wife were injured and only minor damage, fingers crossed, to the JCW.
Being an HSSE (safety) guy, for more than 20 years prior to retiring, I can say this would be an interesting root cause investigation. All 4 lug bolts loosening and the wheel disengaging without shearing any of the four bolts is shocking in my opinion... again... really happy you both are ok... and I totally agree with your assessment of bolts vs studs/nuts!
I hope that this is the last surprise you get from that wonderful little car.
Good luck with the repairs.
Cheers
PS
Caliper looks fantastic... not so sure about the euro plate though... .

Last edited by whitesilvermini; 01-26-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Emoticon did not display
Old 01-26-2019, 12:11 PM
Husky44
1st Gear
Originally Posted by A383Wing View Post
Update: 1-25-2019

The car has sat in the garage since I got it home from the little incident a few days ago. I have not given up on the car, we've had a little medical issue with our dog over the last few days. She had a fatty tumor that had to be removed from inside her rear thigh area. The doctor said it was the size of a tennis ball. She's home now and doing fine. Picture of Bella is below.

Bryan
Glad she's recovering well!

Car frustration is one thing - but I hate it when dogs are hurting.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:14 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and well wishes.......

Update: 1-26-2019

Got the car back up on a jack stand.....as you can see, the freeway ground off the lower ball joint nut & stud all the way to the control arm. I think the arm is OK, I'll know more when the ball joint arrives.....I may have to get a hardened washer for under the arm and ball joint nut.....again, won't know until the joints arrive.

I did finally get the ball joint out of the control arm, took off the caliper & rotor, got a tap and cleaned up the threads for the lug bolts.....will see how that goes when it's all back together.....if the lug bolts won't torque down correctly, I'll have to get a front hub.....still not sure if a 2007 hub is the same as my car or not, will cross that bridge later

Got the hood arch re-attached with new clips I had here.....the tire broke all 3 of the plastic clips, the only thing holding the plastic arch on was the front nut.

So, the car is apart and now I wait.......

I'm still not sure what really happened here......either I forgot to tighten the LF lugs, or maybe my impact was set wrong, or the battery was bad......again, I don't know.....and at this pont, there's no sense in dwelling on it anymore.....what's done is done.....

Bryan

Old 01-27-2019, 06:20 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Just a quick update from yesterday's post above.....I did chase the wheel lug bolt threads in the hub that was is on the car.....I didn't like how loose the wheel bolts fit into a couple of the holes, so I decided to order a new hub assembly and not have to worry about it again. I removed the hub from the spindle today and cleaned up the mounting hole for the new hub.

I'm supposed to get the new hub and all new BMW wheel lug bolts later on this week, I'm heading to the hospital on Friday morning for cortisone shots in my lower back.....so it looks like it's gonna be a couple weeks before anything gets done on the MINI to get it back on the road.......

Bryan

Old 02-03-2019, 11:10 PM
AeroJammin
4th Gear
I know it’s a bit late, but your late 2006 hub should be the same as a 2007 hub for a convertible. The key is that it needs to be a 2007 convertible and not a hardtop so be sure to check your part numbers. A big price difference between a late 2006 and 2007 hub would make me worried that the 07 is for not the right car.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
yep 7/2006 was the split when they went from 12M to 14M. Glad you're ok. Hope your doggy is ok also. Looks like that lower control arm took most of the force.

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
Old 02-04-2019, 01:28 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Update: 2-4-2019

Well, the hospital trip for the shots in my back didn't take place....the nurse that was trying to find my vein to get the IV into me was having issues....she must have spent 2 minutes with what seemed like a dull spoon digging into my arm trying to find my vein. She was not gentle at all, I was about to pass out...so I told her to stop, I gathered my thoughts, and my clothes, got dressed and walked out of the hospital.....

Anyway, to continue about the car here......I got my new '07 hub last week, looks like it matches up to the hub I took off the car perfectly .......I also ordered one of those lug bolt guide tools to install in the hub to help with mounting the wheel......I still need to find the 14mm replacement wheel stud kit, but at this point that's later down the road.

So I have everything to put the left suspension back together now, hub, ball joints, new lug bolts......my plan was to install these parts, but last night we got about 4" of snow here....even with my heated garage....it's still too cold out there for me right now......it's not like I'm gonna drive the car right away, will wait for the snow & ice to disappear

And yes, our little dog is doing fine....she gets her surgery staples out this week.....unless we are still snowed in

Bryan

Last edited by A383Wing; 02-04-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:27 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Quick update: 2-7-2019

Not much to report, we got snowed in a few days ago, temps are still not above freezing during the day and mid 20's at night....rather unusual for NW Washington.

I did go out and test fit the outer lower ball joint into the control arm.....the freeway ground off some of the outer control arm after it took the ball joint nut and stud off the joint. I decided that I can get some "beveled washers" and make up the difference in the lower control arm that was damaged. Picture of special washers below

The washers are ordered, and we are "supposed" to get another snow storm for the next few days.....so until I get the special washers, no more work is going to be done on the car until I thaw out......I'm too damn old to be working in these temps, my furnace in the garage will not keep up with the cold.....so now I sit and wait for the washers to arrive and some warmer days here

Bryan

Old 02-18-2019, 10:48 PM
A383Wing
4th Gear
Update: 2-18-2019

Not much to report here, still waiting for the beveled washers to arrive....once I get all the left front suspension back together, I will jack up the passenger side to install the friction modifier in the transmission. I also have a new serpentine belt here that I have to install also.

Since I can't get anything done for now on the car, I went out and tried to reinitialize the key fob to lock and unlock the doors and windows, so far I'm not having much luck. I also tried to get the home link in the inside mirror to accept my remote control for the garage door opener....no luck there either..... I'm thinking that the guts of the inside mirror are bad..... I need to check the auto dimming feature to see if that works......

One thing that I did find out today is that the door locks will all unlock when you pull into your destination, shut the car off, and then remove the key from the ignition. As soon as you pull the key out, everything unlocks, wish my '04 R53 did this.

I also found out that if someone is left in the car, and you lock everything with the key in the door, you can't open the doors with the door pulls, but you can use the unlock toggle switch under the heater controls.

There's a post in the forum about the"deadlock" system and people trapped inside.....at least I know that my cars will not trap people if I lock them in

As soon as my beveled washers arrive, it's back to work on the car

Bryan