JCW Warranty and Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 10:04 AM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Warranty and Mods

I have a couple threads on Mods as I wait for delivery of the JCW. In those threads advice is being given about go this route because it will not void the warranty.

Back in 2005 when I was doing Mods to my MSC the warranty was referenced but it was always the part you were working on would not be covered under warranty or if the dealer could show a link to the Mod as causing a failure then the that item that failed may not be covered under the warranty.

But the entire warranty would not be voided...Has this changed?

An exhaust connects to the engine so if I go with after market non-mini exhaust upgrade could dealer say any engine issue is not covered under warranty because of the exhaust?

Old 03-06-2018, 10:15 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it has not changed. Search for Magnuson Moss Act.. They can only void the warranty on the susbsystem that you worked on and can prove that the work you did was the cause of the failure.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Bingo!

My experience with my dealership has been good, meaning that they like mods and most of them have some sort of mod to their car.

My Mini dealer installed my Dinan for me so it all depends who you get in terms of a service advisor or manager

Old 03-06-2018, 10:54 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
My thinking is that if warranty is a big concern then modding should be done carefully or not at all. Also most people tend to forget or not realize that auto insurance companies can ding you or deny coverage for modded cars. Check your policy or talk to agent.

Life is all risk.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:40 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Life is all risk.
But there are some rewards

Old 03-07-2018, 07:01 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Bingo!

My experience with my dealership has been good, meaning that they like mods and most of them have some sort of mod to their car.

My Mini dealer installed my Dinan for me so it all depends who you get in terms of a service advisor or manager
Well, Dinan is officially supported by Mini so it won't effect the warranty. The bigger issue is that for large expensive warranty repairs, at least if Mini/BMW is anything like Mercedes, Corporate has to approve the warranty repair as they are the ones paying for it. So while the dealer may be friendly, Corporate is less so, and some dealers won't fight with Corporate.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:44 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
No issues with FMIC or aftermarket BOV/diverter. I've been in for a new clutch and HPFP under warranty, with all listed mods in my sig.

*mechanics don't always talk to sales regarding modifications; sales doesn't always talk to corporate/warranty companies regarding modifications. If you have good clean install and well maintained vehicle, they overlook nearly everything..least that's my experience.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:08 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I don't think I can remember anyone on this forum posting that they were denied warranty coverage due to a mod they did. I know, it's theoretically possible. In contrast there were more than a couple owners of R56 cars that were denied warranty coverage when the HPFP died because they used "bad gas". And the HPFP was a notorious defective part on those cars (they eventually covered it years after warranty expired).

Old 03-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Well, Dinan is officially supported by Mini so it won't effect the warranty. The bigger issue is that for large expensive warranty repairs, at least if Mini/BMW is anything like Mercedes, Corporate has to approve the warranty repair as they are the ones paying for it. So while the dealer may be friendly, Corporate is less so, and some dealers won't fight with Corporate.
Officially supported by MINI? Don't think so, but I'm prepared to be impressed if you find that in writing somewhere. They offer to cover your related repairs for anything that results from Dinan tuner if MINI won't cover it. During the factory warranty period.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
The dealerships know that a plug in may have been used, but proving it is a different matter dependent upon the laws of the country, state, etc. My dealership knows I have been using something, but not exactly what. It has not been a problem to-date and I have had the mini since November of 2015 and 30,000 trouble free miles. This little beast has been a gem to-date. I had the JCW PRO exhaust installed by an authorized BMW repair station as it saved me over $500 for the dealership install, and it has been flawless to-date as well. Reaction to modifications will vary from dealership to dealership. Some even sell the power modules.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:04 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Mod like hell and if you need to go to the dealership print out a copy of the Magnuson Moss Act and put it on your front seat

Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Officially supported by MINI? Don't think so, but I'm prepared to be impressed if you find that in writing somewhere. They offer to cover your related repairs for anything that results from Dinan tuner if MINI won't cover it. During the factory warranty period.
Heh.. not in writing.. at least I did not look, but my mini dealer stated that they will support the warranty regardless of the cause related to the Dinan module if I buy it from them (even if I install it myself). Although I should probably get that in writing....

And yeah, like I said earlier, it is up the dealer to prove that the owner was negligent, not the other way around (although you will find dealers will lie, cheat and steal and tell you whatever they want to scare the crap out of you, don't believe them) It is a good idea to keep a copy of the MM act in your car if you are a heavy modder.

That said, I don't know how Mini/BMW handle major warranty repairs, But Mercedes Corp can be a total ****. My previous car was an AMG 63, so I was over at the MBWorld forums a lot, and while I did not mod my car, plenty of others did, and people being denied warranty claims based on modded vehicles when the failure had nothing to do with the mod, hell not even part of the same subsystem. Unless your dealer likes you and wants to fight for you, you are pretty much SOL and would have to fight with Corp yourself, which is no fun task

Old 03-08-2018, 09:09 AM
NinerfanWI
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Magnuson Moss act covers the use of non-OEM or recycled parts to replace factory parts on a vehicle. It does not provide protection for replacement or addition of parts that affect or change the operation or use of a vehicle. I would not count on the MM act to protect you if you mod your car. I’ve seen firsthand that it does not.

Last edited by NinerfanWI; 03-08-2018 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (03-08-2018)