JCW Power Up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:37 AM
minicarbon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my dinantronics...trying to figure out how to install, complete noob. I've seen the instructions from dinan, but does someone have more in depth pictures or in the LA area and want to help me out haha

Old 08-20-2016, 10:52 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greg Antognoli
Just got my dinantronics...trying to figure out how to install, complete noob. I've seen the instructions from dinan, but does someone have more in depth pictures or in the LA area and want to help me out haha
Hi Greg.
Have you seen this updated link.http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...4ddbb21d61.pdf
before you start to fit the DINAN (THIS PART IS NOT IN YOUR INSTRUCTIONS) make sure nothing is switched on in your car then open your hood. once open lock the car this prevents you upsetting your dme. leave your car for ten minutes for your cars dme to reset then you can follow the instructions. the only other tips i can give you is once you have removed your air box scoop as per instructions and can see your sensor you will need a small screw driver to pull the small grey clip back then you can press the clip to relese the sensor. when fitting your dinan make sure you here a click before pressing the locking clips good luck and enjoy.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:18 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear

Pictures as requested sorry i could not pm them

Old 08-20-2016, 11:30 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watch out and make sure it's no where near the fan. You don't want the wiring damaging the fan or breaking. Also, just because your car is off it will still have some power for a few minutes. When removing the unit, make sure car is completely off as well. Easier to tell since the Dinantronic won't have the red light on.

Even when your car is completely off, the lights turn on when you open the door right. So power is being applied even if car has not been started or turned on. Keep this in mind. This could all be preventative precautions just to be a 100 percent sure. Better be safe than sorry.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:40 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniF55
Watch out and make sure it's no where near the fan. You don't want the wiring damaging the fan or breaking. Also, just because your car is off it will still have some power for a few minutes. When removing the unit, make sure car is completely off as well. Easier to tell since the Dinantronic won't have the red light on.

Even when your car is completely off, the lights turn on when you open the door right. So power is being applied even if car has not been started or turned on. Keep this in mind. This could all be preventative precautions just to be a 100 percent sure. Better be safe than sorry.
i explained that in the above post. if its fitted the DINAN way its not near the fan mini f55

Old 08-20-2016, 12:01 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

IMHO, they made the cable harness too short.

There is a lot of heat generated in that area of the engine bay.
A better location would be on the opposite side, but you should insulate the steel frame rail (since metal conducts and retains heat better than plastic).

Or, if the harness would be longer, on the back side of the wall where the front of the air box and the backside of the battery wall are located.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:10 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LormaD
IMHO, they made the cable harness too short.

There is a lot of heat generated in that area of the engine bay.
A better location would be on the opposite side, but you should insulate the steel frame rail (since metal conducts and retains heat better than plastic).

Or, if the harness would be longer, on the back side of the wall where the front of the air box and the backside of the battery wall are located.
I tried it on the other side lormaD but on a right hand drive car the harness is tight. i can insulate the harness or are you thinking the box will get to hot?

Old 08-20-2016, 04:16 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Well

Originally Posted by #Dragon#
I tried it on the other side lormaD but on a right hand drive car the harness is tight. i can insulate the harness or are you thinking the box will get to hot?
I would, it couldn't hurt. I know when I change the oil after a run outside the engine bay is unbearable (I take off the insulator engine cover to better access where I poor the oil in). In doing so, I was feeling around and there is a lot of heat that comes off the engine. When I was installing my subwoofer and amplifier, I had to run an 8 gauge power cable from the battery to the back and thankfully, where the battery is located it is pretty cool compared to the frame rail side (left hand drive car).

But I would assume, on the frame rail it would be cooler than where the how to instructions advise customers to install. Only, I would not have the power module sit directly on the frame rail, but would isolate direct contact. If you have ever wrapped an exhaust, or had a chance to insulate a turbo chargers compressor side, THAT material would make a great thermal isolator. It shields heat from direct contact and reflects heat from the shiny side.

OR, check to see how many wires or leads are required, should you decide to extend the harness cable yourself. Then you could place the module pretty much wherever you like. :D

Cheers

Last edited by LormaD; 08-20-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: fyi
Old 08-21-2016, 03:38 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Thanks for your input LormaD yes you are right it does get hot there i have just done a 16 mile run on the motorway and thought i would check out the Dinan.
to be fare the harness was hot but not to hot however the box itself was hot to the touch which is concerning. I will not be extending any cables.
i am sure Dinan will be along to add there input at some point.

Last edited by #Dragon#; 08-21-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:24 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Hi 2017all4
With the factory jcw car and the Dinan setup in sport plus the turbo kicks in around1200 rpm. I have the chrono bmw boost gauge and Dinan boost gauge to monitor this.
but the real test is when your wife screams at 3000 revs 😃

Thanks Dragon. My wife was not sure the Clubman S All4 was gonna be the replacement for our Range Rover Evoque (2.0L Ford Ecoboost turbo with a 9 speed auto that is a crime against humanity posing as a gearbox).

Anyway, convinced her to take a test drive. She took the wheel, put the pedal to the metal, and I was the one screaming, after which she said the Clubman would be our next car. Order has been placed.

I'm thinking the Dinan will be my first add-on. I guess I'm missing the 2012 v-8 Jag XK coupe I turned in to get the Evoque.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:32 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Thanks Dragon. My wife was not sure the Clubman S All4 was gonna be the replacement for our Range Rover Evoque (2.0L Ford Ecoboost turbo with a 9 speed auto that is a crime against humanity posing as a gearbox).

Anyway, convinced her to take a test drive. She took the wheel, put the pedal to the metal, and I was the one screaming, after which she said the Clubman would be our next car. Order has been placed.

I'm thinking the Dinan will be my first add-on. I guess I'm missing the 2012 v-8 Jag XK coupe I turned in to get the Evoque.
Enjoy your new ride and order that Dinan lol

Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Enjoy your new ride and order that Dinan lol

Thanks Dragon. I really appreciate the information you have supplied based on your real-world experience with your new Dinan. I am an old guy and am less in need of the high end speed (though I will certainly test what happens at the higher end)

My main interest is in the low end torque and mid-range street-legal speeds. A little boost starting under 1500 RPM and increasing thereafter is what I'm after. And, with the Clubman S All4, the torque steer is just a bit more under control. And it sounds like your experience is that the extra boost from the Dinan is fairly smooth??

Old 08-21-2016, 02:12 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Thanks Dragon. I really appreciate the information you have supplied based on your real-world experience with your new Dinan. I am an old guy and am less in need of the high end speed (though I will certainly test what happens at the higher end)

My main interest is in the low end torque and mid-range street-legal speeds. A little boost starting under 1500 RPM and increasing thereafter is what I'm after. And, with the Clubman S All4, the torque steer is just a bit more under control. And it sounds like your experience is that the extra boost from the Dinan is fairly smooth??
Thanks i am no spring chicken my self

Old 08-21-2016, 05:05 PM
handn
3rd Gear
I'm running the NM Power Module on my F54 All4. It taps into the MAP sensor like the Dinan. It's all win- the car really performs like it should have from the factory. Almost 15k miles and no regrets.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:38 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Thanks Handn. I had a long chat with Jerry at NM. Great guy. Just like Dinan, they all focus on the added boost about 2000 RPM. Has your experience been that you feel gains throughout the torque/RPM curve? Specifically, since these engines are designed to produce peak torque BELOW 2000 RPM, do you feel any extra boost below 2000 RPM that you can attribute to the NM kit? Also, does the added boost come on progressively and smoothly as NM claims? Or is it more like a surge as the RPM increases and the turbo spools up?

I'd appreciate your observations and comments.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 PM
handn
3rd Gear
Thanks Handn. I had a long chat with Jerry at NM. Great guy. Just like Dinan, they all focus on the added boost about 2000 RPM. Has your experience been that you feel gains throughout the torque/RPM curve? Specifically, since these engines are designed to produce peak torque BELOW 2000 RPM, do you feel any extra boost below 2000 RPM that you can attribute to the NM kit? Also, does the added boost come on progressively and smoothly as NM claims? Or is it more like a surge as the RPM increases and the turbo spools up?

I'd appreciate your observations and comments.
My butt dyno thinks it's pretty smooth. Yes, peak torque is below 2000 RPM, but it's the overall increase in torque that just feels... right. And fairly even.

I've run thousands of miles with the NM on both high and low. (mostly 93 octane) High can seem slightly surge-y and in extreme circumstances even judder-y (i.e 120+ degrees out and running 91 octane) While I love the extra oomph, I currently have it set to low and am still loving it.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:56 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by handn
My butt dyno thinks it's pretty smooth. Yes, peak torque is below 2000 RPM, but it's the overall increase in torque that just feels... right. And fairly even.

I've run thousands of miles with the NM on both high and low. (mostly 93 octane) High can seem slightly surge-y and in extreme circumstances even judder-y (i.e 120+ degrees out and running 91 octane) While I love the extra oomph, I currently have it set to low and am still loving it.
Good input. Thanks. Now all I need is to take delivery of my Clubby S All4.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:13 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Greg Antognoli
hows your car performing now the dinantronics is installed Greg?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:14 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
I heard the 8 speed clubman runs really smooth. Power module would work great with that!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Is any one using a down pipe with the Dinantronics

Old 08-26-2016, 05:42 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Exclamation . . .

Thanks for your input LormaD yes you are right it does get hot there i have just done a 16 mile run on the motorway and thought i would check out the Dinan.
to be fare the harness was hot but not to hot however the box itself was hot to the touch which is concerning. I will not be extending any cables.
i am sure Dinan will be along to add there input at some point.
Bump. . .

Old 08-27-2016, 10:55 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
thanks LormaD for your Bunp
It would be good if Dinan would give us there opinion on there install .
if we here nothing in the next few weeks my brother in law will be using his thermal image camera on the engine bay to show us the coolest place for install.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:56 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear

Last edited by #Dragon#; 08-27-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:29 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Dragon, I don't have downpipes. Not sure when or if I'm going to be able to anytime soon since Ca emission laws are so strict. Curious as to what options you were looking into when you were looking around. I'm sure a lot of gains can come from a proper downpipe.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:06 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Hi mini f55.
sorry i do not no your name i will be testing the Dinantronics with a down pipe or decat as we call it in the UK next week on a mates car.

Quick Reply: JCW Power Up!!!