JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Looking to boost HP on JCW/MCS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 05:44 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to boost HP on JCW/MCS

Would appreciate any input to guide me in the right direction.

I have an 04 JCW/MCS which I would like to keep as stock as possible to keep the warranty in place. Saying that, I'd like to get as much HP, to the wheels, as I can.

Currently I have the Alta intake and catch can installed. My thoughts on the next mods would be the UNIchip and larger intercooler. Then go with loosing weight by replacing the wheels and tires.

Anyone know what the HP gains would be for the chip and intercooler? Any other ideas on how to achieve my goals?

Lastly, does anyone know of a good vendor in eastern NC? I've read good press on RSPEED in Atlanta but would like to find someone a little closer.

Thanks for all you thoughts.

Old 08-21-2004, 06:09 AM
Normalizer
4th Gear
I don't have any dyno charts to back up my claim here, but last week I had larger throttle body installed....It DEFINITELY give the car more grunt in my opinion, and if you get the Dinan throttle body installed you retain your warranty. Cost was about $500 installed by the dealer.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:38 AM
section8
2nd Gear
I second the thottle body mod! HP gains claim to be 5 to 7 HP? Throttle response is awsome, giving the preceived HP to be much higher. Or you could always put your ride on "The Bottle"! how about a lightend flywheel?Talk to Randy at M7 for one or all of these mods.http://www.m7tuning.com/
mailto://randy@m7tuning.com
Also check out the wheels in my sig. these are the lightest I've found to date. not cheap,(about $500 a piece) and take 40 to 60 days to have made.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:19 PM
CooperSdriver
3rd Gear
Throttle Body a definite, nice feel to it and offers you great throttle response. You can also ad the JCW headers, I heard they were released.

The bigger intercooler will offer cooler charge air, and better flow. Although you will aslo loose some boost on the car. With my 19% pulley I was close to 20psi, now with the intercooler i'm at 14psi. I like the difference it made. I installed the ic two days ago , I should have the new dyno in a couple days.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:28 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
"Talk to Randy at M7"............

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Old 08-21-2004, 05:30 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSdriver
Throttle Body a definite, nice feel to it and offers you great throttle response. You can also ad the JCW headers, I heard they were released.

The bigger intercooler will offer cooler charge air, and better flow. Although you will aslo loose some boost on the car. With my 19% pulley I was close to 20psi, now with the intercooler i'm at 14psi. I like the difference it made. I installed the ic two days ago , I should have the new dyno in a couple days.
Um, check ALL of your intercooler connections because you should have lost no where near 6psi with the Intercooler. There is something wrong with your setup if you've lost that much.

Paul

Old 08-21-2004, 06:03 PM
section8
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by holdenontoit
"Talk to Randy at M7"............

??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Sorry, I keep thinking everybody knows everybody here.:smile: I added a link to my previous post.And for those who arn't familiar with my previous post here's the link. http://www.m7tuning.com/ Also "Steve's Auto Clinic" does the thottle bodies ph# (818) 891-6433 located in North Hills ca, just off the 405 freeway.
mailto://randy@m7tuning.com

Old 08-22-2004, 01:26 PM
CooperSdriver
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by paulmon
Um, check ALL of your intercooler connections because you should have lost no where near 6psi with the Intercooler. There is something wrong with your setup if you've lost that much.

Paul
Yeah, I got it checked out. There was a leak, if it wasn't for the boost gauge I probably would never have checked it out. It definitely feels better now. Thanx