JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Factory JCW resale

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Z06C5R
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory JCW resale

I realize this may not be the best place to post, as I'm sure most folks who have recently sold a JCW probably aren't hanging around the JCW garage but... Has anyone had difficulty selling their JCW recently? I have had my '10 fJCW listed for over 6 months now and am reaching my wit's end as to why I cannot sell it - and I sell cars for a living.

The particulars are all listed in the add linked in my signature, but the specimen in question is my lovely '10 hardtop with 68k miles. My first go-to would of course be that the price is too high, but compared to what's out there (which is, admittedly not much to go on) it is priced well. I've done a lot of work recently and the car is in superb shape inside and out. I get plenty of inquiries on it and several of them have seemed like very serious buyers, but to date no one has actually shown up to look at it! There's obviously something holding the car back, I'm just trying to determine whether it's just the fact that these are niche cars for a specific buyer or if there's something I'm missing. And yet, I have always had niche cars and have never had this much difficulty selling one.

Thoughts?

Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm not a second gen guy, but on the iPad, we can't see the link. Can you post the URL in a separate message for us to take a look?

EDIT, here's the link:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ctory-jcw.html

Is there a chance that people are staying away from the 07-10 m/y's?

Last edited by jamez; 07-14-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:34 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I like to call it the curse of the N14!! I think there are so many bad stories on that platform that even mom and pop dealers know that it is trouble waiting to happen.

MINI dealers don't want them, they want N18 trades but not the N14 line. (IMHO)

I had a 09 JCW that was in great shape, but had miles on it. No accidents, looked good, nice mods like Koni Yellows, NM springs, RMW tune, etc.

Didn't matter. I had zero interest on this board or Motoring Alliance. Received nice comments but that was it.

Traded to a VW dealer for a new GTI and they finally sold it for like $11K-ish more after it sat there for months. Just kept watching them drop their price.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM
Z06C5R
4th Gear
I thought the JCW was N14 until 2013, no?

Old 07-14-2015, 01:27 PM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Z06C5R
I thought the JCW was N14 until 2013, no?
AFAIK the N18 started shipping in 2012 models mfg'ed in Sept.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:44 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by devicemanager
AFAIK the N18 started shipping in 2012 models mfg'ed in Sept.
JCWs built July 2012 onward were 2013 models with the N18

Old 07-15-2015, 02:05 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
You must not be reaching enough potential buyers with your ad. I doubt many Minis are sold via NAM because we either already have what we want or we on interested in a new one and what people think about them (like me in 2007).

Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Z06C5R
I realize this may not be the best place to post, as I'm sure most folks who have recently sold a JCW probably aren't hanging around the JCW garage but... Has anyone had difficulty selling their JCW recently? I have had my '10 fJCW listed for over 6 months now and am reaching my wit's end as to why I cannot sell it - and I sell cars for a living.

The particulars are all listed in the add linked in my signature, but the specimen in question is my lovely '10 hardtop with 68k miles. My first go-to would of course be that the price is too high, but compared to what's out there (which is, admittedly not much to go on) it is priced well. I've done a lot of work recently and the car is in superb shape inside and out. I get plenty of inquiries on it and several of them have seemed like very serious buyers, but to date no one has actually shown up to look at it! There's obviously something holding the car back, I'm just trying to determine whether it's just the fact that these are niche cars for a specific buyer or if there's something I'm missing. And yet, I have always had niche cars and have never had this much difficulty selling one.

Thoughts?
It is a Mini. They are economy cars with a performance badge and not in a niche market in my opinion. Mini is not a poor's man BMW M3 by any standard but still a real English econobox.

They drop value very fast compared to other brands and it is also linked to the overall reliability issues.

For some, a Mini is an investment to put money on with upgades but when it gets older, what is the investment worth?

You should put on CL for your asking price and see what will happen.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:34 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you hit it. It's a niche car and it's a N14. And it's too old. The JCW N18 started with the '13 model. Yeah sure some are built in 12. But it'll be marketed as a '13 model. The S started in 12 with N18 engines. Who would buy a JCW 2012 when you can have an S cheaper with a better engine?

N14 engines have that timing chain issue which I got Mini to pay for mine. BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THAT ISSUE. JUST ENTHUSIAST NUTS LIKE US ON THESE FORUM PAGES. Other than that it's a good car. But because of that bad hype mine is a keeper. Plus mine was in a collision and the front end replaced so now with the bad CARFAX report, MINE IS EVEN MORE OF A KEEPER! hahaha f-it. I'll keep it. hahaha It is a poor man's sports car. They're only $38 brand new. Can't be worth more than mid teens as a private party.

Who cares? Beats driving a boring car or a beater.

Saw your photos and your JCW looks hot. But CarMax won't touch a car over 3 years and your car is frankly over the hill. Your miles are in that grey zone where they're not old but not filly fresh. hahaha Some guy on here or in my Dallas Mini car club had a JCW that was 2006 with super low miles and sold quickly. But someone with a niche interest is going to snap up a low mile car.

Just keep it as a Sunday driver.

You'll never get your money's worth in selling it.

Last edited by malibujoey; 07-16-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:38 AM
Z06C5R
4th Gear
I know the '13's with the N18 are far more desirable, but they're also significantly more expensive. I assumed the N14 models would appeal to those who can't swing $20k + on a used car (as we say in the business, "there's an *** for every seat").

I have had the car listed on CL as well as a few national used car sites for months, so it's not a lack of exposure that's doing it.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:20 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It's a nice car: great colors, great look, great condition. I think you hit it on the head with the price. I just don't think JCW has the same cache as, say, an M car and doesn't actually command that much of a premium over a S. As you know because you're in the business, holding onto a car for months also has a cost. Maybe it's time to drop the price and get it moving. GLWS.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:05 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
It's a nice car: great colors, great look, great condition. I think you hit it on the head with the price. I just don't think JCW has the same cache as, say, an M car and doesn't actually command that much of a premium over a S. As you know because you're in the business, holding onto a car for months also has a cost. Maybe it's time to drop the price and get it moving. GLWS.
I agree. I also assume it is paid for after 5 years if bought new. So, cash in the residual value and buy something else because at 68K expensive issues are sure to come and you will waste more money.

My 2013 Mini is absolutely "mint" condition in every way (not even driven in rain) has less than 7K and is barely worth above $23K if I would list on the market just after one year of ownership from new. I bought from the dealer showroom 07/14.

So, if I figure I will sell in about 2 years when the maintenance program will expire with less than 25K to avoid any issues, I "may" get about $20K because it is a low mileage still under warranty.

My point is really about when is it the right time to sell a Mini when it is getting older with some mileage and still have a good return on the investment when the performance parts and upgrades are so expensive.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:12 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Anyone who thinks they hold their value better than most cars is full of it. The one thing that's different about Minis is that dealers don't discount the sticker price very much. My 2007 was 30k new, I got 7.5k after 7 years with 75k miles. It's a car not an investment, just like a house.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
YEAH I AGREE. Cars are big pits of money. Don't expect a return. Especially with a Mini. They're not mainstream vehicles.

I can go on CarMax right now and get a 13 S for 20 - 21 grand. Low miles. That means they bought it for 17 - 18.

Babying your car and keeping the miles low will not hold back the fact it's old. Even if your market is ignorant about the N14 v 18 v BMW engine. It's a weird car. Only appeals to a select demographic. Usually middle age weekend warriors who dream of being king of the road track or born again hippie chicks who want eyelashes on their headlights. hahaha

If you really want to get out of that car because you need the money, you're going to have to suck it up and take a loss. Personally I think that car looks cool and I would keep it. But Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:16 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Somebody on the F56 forum bought a 2014 loaded MCS for $22k! The thing lost 33% of its value in a freaking year!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Somebody on the F56 forum bought a 2014 loaded MCS for $22k! The thing lost 33% of its value in a freaking year!
When I bought mine, I was not expecting a big value for the bucks I paid but just a fun ride for a few years and go afterward to something else.

I spent mostly nothing on upgrades and it will stay this way. I am not a diehard Mini fan as most of you guys. The Japanese iron is hard to beat and it seems I will be back.

In the meantime, I will love my Coupe for another 2 years.