JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 09:42 PM
JBOO
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would a header not affect your warranty, but an intake, pulley, exhaust, etc. will?

It all depends on the dealer and how easy or difficult they want to be.

The dealership has to prove the part caused problems in a court of law.

Are you ready to go to court each time you have an issue?

Originally Posted by BoopedrivesmyMINI
wrong...i have a header on my 04' Is300 w/3k miles.

my warranty aint void....i would raise hell if they tried that **** on me.

now my exhaust warranty yes that is void.

but if my waterpump went out or sumthin of that nature...it is most def. covered.

the dealership has to prove that the part that you put on the car made that problem arise

Old 06-18-2004, 09:52 PM
JBOO
2nd Gear
Opinions--everyone has one.

Originally Posted by Cooper4us
The stock MCS is "too slow"....ahem, compared to what???

I disagree with some comments about the performance of the MCS right out of the box. This car is plenty fast for most people, including myself, so adding the JCW will enhance the experience and make it even more powerful..
Agreed!

At the end of the day, a stock MCS or JCW MCS will be worth more money and be more appealing to a prospective buyer than a MINI chock full of aftermarket performance mods. There is no way around it, period..
But why would the buyer pay you a premiun for your JCW, when they can just have it installed themselves brand new. I think this is one point a lot of people forget when talking resale. Anyone with an MCS and $5500 can get the JCW kit installed.

the JCW kit not only allows to to keep your factory warranty coverage intact, but also gives you performance parts and upgrades that have been extensively tested for thousands and thounsands of miles for optimum reliability and quality. Add to that the development and engineering backing of John Cooper Works and BMW and you'll have a quality, high performance car for years to come.

The aftermarket world simply doesn't have the resources to ensure that the parts they sell will last reliably on a car past certain mileage milestone (100K, 150K, 200K). I am not knocking the aftermarkets but simply pointing out that I personally trust more parts made and engineered by a reputable MINI turner like John Cooper Works over anything made by X or Y aftermarket vendor..
The only differnce we're talking about here is the ported head and supercharger coating. I'll take my chances on those two items.

I'm sure everyone can make the reduced pulley to the same quality as JCW and they're exhaust is not even made by them. It's sourced out from another company.

JC is an established tuner, however, how much experience do they have on the New Mini which is nothing like the original that they are famed for.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:59 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
I like to compare

There are many reasons to get a JCW. But it is a different kinda customer who gets a stock MC or MCS, a JCW or an aftermarket one.

Just as I dont understand why anyone would keep the stock radio there are many people who dont understand why I would replace it.

The JCW is like a home theater in a box. Its good, its tunned to work together perfectly. Shure its never worth what you pay but there it is in one box waiting for you to get it. If your passionate about home theater you would never buy a HTIB. You will pick out your speakers, DVD, amps, processors, wires. You will tune it and tweek it until you get it like. You may spend more or less than the HTIB but you get it exactly the way you want it.

:smile: Some people just want it to do home theater with out having to plan what to put inth the living room.
:smile: Some people just want it to be faster with out having to plan what to put inth the car.

It is the same with this issue and it really comes down to a different type of customer.

Last edited by ninjamini; 06-18-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:56 AM
XAlfa
Banned
[QUOTE=ninjamini]:smile: Some people just want it to do home theater with out having to plan what to put inth the living room.
:smile: Some people just want it to be faster with out having to plan what to put inth the car.[QUOTE]

Home theater? We're comparing cars to big tv's? Jesus.

Old 06-19-2004, 06:24 AM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JBOO
Why would a header not affect your warranty, but an intake, pulley, exhaust, etc. will?

It all depends on the dealer and how easy or difficult they want to be.

The dealership has to prove the part caused problems in a court of law.

Are you ready to go to court each time you have an issue?
well a pulley is def. going to affect the warranty....and would be a lot harder to get around...because it affects the amount of boost on the engine.

Old 06-19-2004, 06:27 AM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
nice wording Ninja

Old 06-21-2004, 01:57 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
Yeah except that now the JCW kit cost you $7500 (w/ext warranty)! I could replace my supercharger twice (!) and still have money left over! Heck I could have to replace my entire engine and still be ahead. You almost better hope you have some serious mechanical problems just to justify the warranty price.

When viewed as a sports car. I consider the MCS a sports car (although not everyone agrees) and a sports car should have more power, more torque and just be more responsive than it is in stock form. The S, IMO, should come with 180 or so HP and at least 170lbs of torque. The S in stock form doesn't have enough power - at any RPM - to throw you back into your seat. Every sports car should do that at least to some degree (again, IMO). :smile:
All MINI gives is 50K miles of warranty so with or without JCW it cost $1500 to extend the factory warranty to 100K, my point is none of the extended warranty companies will warranty after market performance parts, but because the JCW is factory authorized its covered in the factory extended warranty, I would say that is a plus. My last .02 cents on this issue

Old 06-21-2004, 02:33 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
[QUOTE=XAlfa][QUOTE=ninjamini]:smile: Some people just want it to do home theater with out having to plan what to put inth the living room.
:smile: Some people just want it to be faster with out having to plan what to put inth the car.

Home theater? We're comparing cars to big tv's? Jesus.
Well some of them tv's be bigger than our cars.

Paul

Old 06-21-2004, 03:43 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pcnorton
Well some of them tv's be bigger than our cars.

Paul
And some of them TVs are far more expensive!

It was an comparison in making choices. There are all kinds of people out there who have different priorities.

Old 06-21-2004, 05:11 PM
MGear
5th Gear
There is more to the JCW than a pulley and an exhaust

Jaboo:
Lets not forget the ehlarged ported and polished head which dramatically increases air intake along with the enlarged Super Charger. Every argument that people make for not buying the JCW always leaves out the enlarged head, try to get one of those in the aftermarket for the same price. The enlarged head is not an insigficant detail, this is a major component of the system that dramatically increases power by allowing the car to breath deeper, something a pulley a CAI and other assorted aftermarket items just don't match. Oh and about the value of the JCW in a used car for sale, they are only making 1800 JCW upgrades, once they are gone, they are gone, each one is numbered and registered. They may decide to introduce a second and third version in the years to come but so far I haven't read anything on that subject.

I owned a factory 1956 Austin Healey 100M the second one ever made of the original 342 copies. There are plenty of 'aftermarket' 100M's on the road. the resale value of the 'aftermarket' 100M's compared to the factory 100M's is a minimum 20% less. I bought mine in 1996 for $16,000.00 and sold it to a guy in Switzerland for $30,000.00 6 years later, a decent investment. During the time I owned and enjoyed the car I only spent $1,000.00 on parts. Aftermarket 100M's or any other marque of similar structure just don't fetch the price in the used car market like the factory originals, period.

You can make all the arguments you want about aftermarket upgrades, my direct personal experience and the experience of anyone buying and selling limited edition factory collectable cars will always make out far, far better, period. In the end the only thing that matters is how much fun you had while you owned it, and what value you got back after selling it.

Old 06-21-2004, 05:18 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Don't get me started with the TV's ...... but a good analogy just the same. If you cannot see the differance between a 60" HD Sony Grand Wega and a 27" std Dewoo then why get the Sony? You probally would not get the Sony. But of you were concerned about the long term durability then you might choose the Sony because of its proven track record. ..... I love my Sony Grand Wega & I love my JCW Mini. Just returned from a 1300 mile round trip without a hitch. I'm sure mony of you guys with modded Minis have had the same experence but I just was not willing to risk it. Was it worth the extra money .... to me YES. Is the increase in HP & Torque noticable ... Hell YES.

Just like tv's, just my 2 cents and most people have one.

Later

Old 06-21-2004, 06:20 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGear
Jaboo:
Lets not forget the ehlarged ported and polished head which dramatically increases air intake along with the enlarged Super Charger. Every argument that people make for not buying the JCW always leaves out the enlarged head, try to get one of those in the aftermarket for the same price. The enlarged head is not an insigficant detail, this is a major component of the system that dramatically increases power by allowing the car to breath deeper, something a pulley a CAI and other assorted aftermarket items just don't match.
From what I've read around here, none of the polished heads - including the JCW - really have had A LOT of work done on them. And they don't seem to make much power either. There is a thread somewhere on this (I couldn't find it now though) where jlm (who is truly an expert on this) goes into much detail about headwork. If headwork is done, really, really well, it seems like a great mod. But from what I've seen, the JCW doesn't do much besides a little polishing for a better flow.

Also when you have forced induction such as a supercharged engine, flow isn't quite as important any more as the air is being forced through anyway. Headwork is most valuable on large n/a engines such as a nice big V-8. That's quite a bit different than the MINI! :smile:

As far as the "limited production" goes, the MINI is getting more power as it is next year (and an optional LSD) and in a couple of years will get a whole new engine and according to rumors, a lot more power. This could possibly kill the resale value of the JCW. But that remains to be seen...

Old 06-22-2004, 05:47 AM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
hrmmm so MINI has some major changes in mind for the MINI,....didnt know that.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:59 AM
JBOO
2nd Gear
MoGear-

I agree the JCW is limited, however, not quite as limited as you may believe. I haven't seen many posts of people that haven't been able to get a kit, so as far as I know, they're not running out. In fact, in Germany they have reduced the cost.

I don't agree your resale is going to be that much greater. If it came from the factory yes, but since it's added afterwards and others have ability to do the same, I think it's a different type of limited than your example. Yes, you could get 20 more than the standard S or the modded S, but then again, you probably paid 20% more too.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with the JCW. If I would have been able to get the 4 year warranty like you, I would have gotten the kit myself. If they didn't run out of them of course

Old 06-22-2004, 02:40 PM
StealthTDI
1st Gear
Hi,

I didn't notice if this was discussed earlier. But can't the MCS w/JCW be modified further? Can't a Stage III kit be done?

I REALLY want a MCS! But I have to wait a couple of years. I'm getting into autocross. Hopefully, I'll have my driving skills honed by the time I'm in a MINI.

Take Care,

Scott

Old 06-22-2004, 05:14 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by StealthTDI
Hi,

I didn't notice if this was discussed earlier. But can't the MCS w/JCW be modified further? Can't a Stage III kit be done?

I REALLY want a MCS! But I have to wait a couple of years. I'm getting into autocross. Hopefully, I'll have my driving skills honed by the time I'm in a MINI.

Take Care,

Scott
I believe you can, in fact there are some MCS JCW owners that have further mod the car on top of the JCW components. The sky and the wallet are the limit.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:54 PM
miniblues
4th Gear
is it worth the $5k?

does it haul ***? hehe

before you decide, test drive the MCS, the JCW and a modified S if you can find one and they will let you take a test drive....it is pretty much a no brainer after driving all 3....my 2 cents save the money on the JCW, do a few performance mods on the S (19 pulley intake) ditch the awful runflats and heavy superlight rims with lighter 16" rims and stickier tires like yokos, falkens, improve the suspension ...all less than the JCW and you will torch the JCW, especially where it really counts for all of us...through the twisties

now if the JCW included the JCW seats and some suspension mods for the same price you might be talking turkey.....BTW the JCW I drove at the dealership had the stumble which the salesman that rode me admitted they were still working on, but that was a couple months ago, so maybe that has been solved by now...good luck

Last edited by miniblues; 06-29-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 AM
ElonCooper
3rd Gear
I don't know if it's been said before, but the irritating part about the whole JCW/Mini package to me is the fact that to have a JCW Mini, you have to buy two superchargers, two heads, and two exhaust systems.

Why, if we all have to order our cars new, can't we just order the JCW upgrade without having to buy the OEM supercharger, head, exhaust first? MAYBE, this adds $1,000-$1,500 to the cost of the car, because your only buying these parts once. Hey, I'm glad it's an option, but I can't understand why they designed it this way. HOW MANY of us would have paid another $1,500 up front for the JCW package? The production cost for Mini, would have been the same.

Either way, my stock S is WAY too slow, something has to be done. I guess they've got me by the hairs.....

Old 06-30-2004, 10:38 AM
manoo
3rd Gear
dealersmakingdough

a bmw salesman i recently met said "don't quote me, but i think that the dealers make more money on the service of minis then the sales" this would explain the high price of the jcw kit.
considering that for the cost of the jcw kit you could replace the engine and supercharger it does make one wonder about that warranty.
and now there is an upgrade for the jcw; a cai and an ecu upgrade. another $700 i believe
not to say that the kit doesn't do what it says it does but for a third of the cost .....well talk to randy at webb motor sports for the inside scoop on eastman superchargers (made here in the usa) and what the jcw kit really includes. very enlightening.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Hey guys, I just broke down the intake system on my MCS and all the talk of improved flow through the redesigned head and supercharger made me have to drop this lug on the thread.

The lug is the Carbon runner from the throttle body to the supercharger inlet.
IS THAT CHANGED OR MODDED AT ALL? I ask because mine looks like crap on the inside with flashing all around the seems and a ton of material that messes up air flow. I cleaned mine up and am SOOO anxiously awaiting the re-install because I KNOW that badboy is flowing alot better. With that said, the improved head, supercharger has to suck air through this thing. I dont know how to get pictures on here to show you guys, but if this works, I'll have someone do it for me.. take care all!

Old 07-01-2004, 07:30 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Just give the man the money...You won't regret it.....