JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Pipe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeo
Ralph Shomp Mini in Denver will install the Mini Mania Stage II kit (claimed 215hp) for ~$3K AND keep everything under BMW warranty. That assumes any warranty work would be done by them, of course.

Has anyone mentioned resale value? I'm positive that the JCW Mini will KILL a any aftermarket modded Mini in resale value.
I'd hate to think that the Service Manager is the one willing to cover it - and then he/she leaves. I'd want to see that warranty coverage in writing from the dealer manager.

I heard that a Mini of Sterling, Virginia was installing Madness kits and covering them, but the Service Manager is no longer there. Haven't heard what the status is since the SM left...

Old 06-16-2004, 05:45 PM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
well in my situation im not worried about the resale value fo the car at all.

were planning on keeping this one possibly for good.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:29 PM
MGear
5th Gear
BoopedrivesmyMINI the dealership that did my JCW install charges $90 per hour. Installing the JCW kit cost $1,100.00 a year ago.
Say, I was just in Cincinnati last weekend for my nieces UC Graduation ceremonies:smile: a very happy day![font=Arial][size=6]
[/size][/font]

Old 06-16-2004, 08:35 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BoopedrivesmyMINI
well about the only thing i dont like about the kit is the exhaust.

its way too quite for me.

that thing would have to go. so thats a waste of $500 or so rigth there
Just change the standard header for a miltek. Miltek+ JCW exhaust the sweetes sound you will ever hear, then add the ALTA CAI constant music to the ear

Old 06-16-2004, 08:36 PM
2minis
6th Gear
The new Mini World(UK) has a dyno report
on a JCWS that looks like it might have a
CAI on it(you can't tell in the pic) rated at
234hp.... That is probably worth it.
(6/04 issue page 61)
They also tested a 1983 Mini Mayfair that
developed an *** whooping 37hp.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 PM
jkagan
2nd Gear
Resale value depends on how you sell your MINI. If you just sell it as modded the JCW will certainly sell for more, but I'm not sure the difference will justify the difference it price. For example, is you spend $2,500 to get a 200 hp non-JCW MCS, it will certainly sell for less than a JCW MINI, but it may not sell for the approx. $3,500 more required to install the JCW kit.

Also, generally the best way to get value out of a modded car is to part it out before you sell it. You should usually be able to get at least 50% of what you paid, but this can be a bit of a pain.

Old 06-17-2004, 05:19 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkstone
Just change the standard header for a miltek. Miltek+ JCW exhaust the sweetes sound you will ever hear, then add the ALTA CAI constant music to the ear
Two problems here. One, adding a header to your JCW is a good way to throw away your $5500+ JCW warranty. Two, I haven't seen one independent dyno report that show any of the MCS headers make any power. And for the price of the header, I think I'd rather get a new exhaust.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:22 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
Two problems here. One, adding a header to your JCW is a good way to throw away your $5500+ JCW warranty. Two, I haven't seen one independent dyno report that show any of the MCS headers make any power. And for the price of the header, I think I'd rather get a new exhaust.
A replacement Header does not affect the warranty, and I can say from experience that the header does make a difference in how the car runs. I have done 2 track days at Lime Rock one with factory headers and one with Miltek, the miltek runs were much better than stock.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:27 AM
atn57
4th Gear
that is an aftermarket header not done by dealer....errr....that may mess up your warranty depending on the dealer.....

Old 06-17-2004, 09:14 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by atn57
that is an aftermarket header not done by dealer....errr....that may mess up your warranty depending on the dealer.....
right!:smile:

Old 06-17-2004, 05:59 PM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by atn57
wrong...i have a header on my 04' Is300 w/3k miles.

my warranty aint void....i would raise hell if they tried that **** on me.

now my exhaust warranty yes that is void.

but if my waterpump went out or sumthin of that nature...it is most def. covered.

the dealership has to prove that the part that you put on the car made that problem arise

Old 06-17-2004, 10:22 PM
jkagan
2nd Gear
wrong...i have a header on my 04' Is300 w/3k miles.

my warranty aint void....i would raise hell if they tried that **** on me.

now my exhaust warranty yes that is void.

but if my waterpump went out or sumthin of that nature...it is most def. covered.

the dealership has to prove that the part that you put on the car made that problem arise
This is one of the problems with the JCW option. What you are paying for on the warranty side is avoiding the hassle of dealing with the dealer. If you mod your car with non-JCW stuff, and your water pump goes, you can fight with him about whether your CAI caused the water pump problem. If you get JCW you just bring it in with no fight. But, if you add the header, then you give the dealer an excuse to deny coverage. So, as a previous poster noted, a waste of the warranty premium for JCW.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:33 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Originally Posted by jkagan
If you mod your car with non-JCW stuff, and your water pump goes, you can fight with him about whether your CAI caused the water pump problem. If you get JCW you just bring it in with no fight. But, if you add the header, then you give the dealer an excuse to deny coverage. So, as a previous poster noted, a waste of the warranty premium for JCW.
The water pump on my JCW was replaced by the dealer under warranty without questioning, despite of the Milltek header, Alta intake, and other mods on the car. My SA is wonderful!

Old 06-17-2004, 10:37 PM
jkagan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by davecsumini
The water pump on my JCW was replaced by the dealer under warranty without questioning, despite of the Milltek header, Alta intake, and other mods on the car. My SA is wonderful!
A good SA is worth well more than the price of a few mods!

Where are you located?

Old 06-18-2004, 01:28 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Originally Posted by jkagan
Where are you located?
Pacific NW!!!

Old 06-18-2004, 01:48 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
In a word or two.....Is it worth it? Yes, you bet. To me anyways.

Does igt haul ***? Well, I would say it hauls ***, except for the fact that my car came BRG so the JCW allows me to keep up with 1962 VW Bugs (I kill 'em in the twisties though).

As to the yadayadayada arguments......I'd call 'em lame, but whatever.....mod the hell out of your car, I think that is GREAT! It is, after all, YOUR car (or your bank's car anyways.....)

Old 06-18-2004, 05:27 AM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
i highly doubt i will have any troubles with this SM. My buddy just traded in his M3. which is the same service and all of my mini dealer.

he had tons of mods. Including header exhaust intake..chip...etc. also he had tons of warranty issues. i guess BMW reliability...but they fixed it all under no questions asked. so i hope i will be ok.

im still undecided on what i should do.

Ive been reading about this 19% pulley deal....it sounds pretty damn good. we will see.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:29 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
Look guys no one on this forum has to justify the way they spend their hard earned cash, if you can afford to spend $6k for a mod on your car fine if you can only spend $2k thats great also, its all about choices we make as for warranty issues my MCS with JCW+CAI+Miltek+Brembo has been repaired under warranty several times, including a water pump change no questions asked, I now have 49K miles on a 17 month old car so for $1500 I have extended the warranty to 100K miles and get this, because the JCW is classfied as a factory mod its covered to 100K under the extended warranty. So for all you guys that pupu the warranty issue mine is covered to 100K JCW and all.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:37 AM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
wow thats cool.

^^

your MINI been having many problems?

but thats very cool that the JCW can be bumped to 100k mile warranty....watch out kia and hyundai

Old 06-18-2004, 05:42 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
wow thats cool.

^^

your MINI been having many problems?

but thats very cool that the JCW can be bumped to 100k mile warranty....watch out kia and hyundai
I have not had any major problems except for the water pump, and I think that they caused the problem by not replacing the water pump seal properly after the JCW install. I have had a recurring DSC light problem which took them about 4 tries to fix, a dashboard rattle and a boot lock that would not open when it rains or after a car wash, and a boot rattle all fixed now.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:28 PM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
well thats not so bad....i guess i will have to get use to having problems.....no offense to MINI's or anything.....but my LEXus IS300 has had zero problems. Ive owned two now. Lexus is just outstanding with reliability

Old 06-18-2004, 05:55 PM
C4
Banned
The stock MCS is "too slow"....ahem, compared to what???

I disagree with some comments about the performance of the MCS right out of the box. This car is plenty fast for most people, including myself, so adding the JCW will enhance the experience and make it even more powerful.

At the end of the day, a stock MCS or JCW MCS will be worth more money and be more appealing to a prospective buyer than a MINI chock full of aftermarket performance mods. There is no way around it, period.

the JCW kit not only allows to to keep your factory warranty coverage intact, but also gives you performance parts and upgrades that have been extensively tested for thousands and thounsands of miles for optimum reliability and quality. Add to that the development and engineering backing of John Cooper Works and BMW and you'll have a quality, high performance car for years to come.

The aftermarket world simply doesn't have the resources to ensure that the parts they sell will last reliably on a car past certain mileage milestone (100K, 150K, 200K). I am not knocking the aftermarkets but simply pointing out that I personally trust more parts made and engineered by a reputable MINI turner like John Cooper Works over anything made by X or Y aftermarket vendor.

So it is up to you. If you think that saving some bucks, jeopardizing your warranty and car's value by going the aftermarket route is going to give you all you want from the car, so be it. But in the end the owner of a stock MINI or JCW MINI will have a much more reliable car in the long term that will be more desirable and hold better resale value.

The choice is yours.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:57 PM
C4
Banned
well thats not so bad....i guess i will have to get use to having problems.....no offense to MINI's or anything.....but my LEXus IS300 has had zero problems. Ive owned two now. Lexus is just outstanding with reliability
I got offended

My '04 MCS is 10 months old, 9.500+ miles and ZERO problems or unscheduled visits back to the dealer. Car is rock solid and used as a daily driver.

My other MINI, a '02 Cooper CVT, has 24K miles and no problems either.

So I guess you need to get used to the fact that you will not experience problems with your new MINI either.

Old 06-18-2004, 06:07 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dkstone
...because the JCW is classfied as a factory mod its covered to 100K under the extended warranty. So for all you guys that pupu the warranty issue mine is covered to 100K JCW and all.
Yeah except that now the JCW kit cost you $7500 (w/ext warranty)! I could replace my supercharger twice (!) and still have money left over! Heck I could have to replace my entire engine and still be ahead. You almost better hope you have some serious mechanical problems just to justify the warranty price.

The stock MCS is "too slow"....ahem, compared to what???
When viewed as a sports car. I consider the MCS a sports car (although not everyone agrees) and a sports car should have more power, more torque and just be more responsive than it is in stock form. The S, IMO, should come with 180 or so HP and at least 170lbs of torque. The S in stock form doesn't have enough power - at any RPM - to throw you back into your seat. Every sports car should do that at least to some degree (again, IMO). :smile:

Old 06-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
The S in stock form doesn't have enough power - at any RPM - to throw you back into your seat. Every sports car should do that at least to some degree (again, IMO).
If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900 won't do you any good.
Carrie

Quick Reply: JCW is it worth it?