JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 03:43 PM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW is it worth it?

ok fellas,

looks were going to be getting a 2005 mini here soon.

and im contemplating the JCW works package.

i know that your paying for the warranty.

and i know all the performance #'s.

but i want some opinions.

is it worth the $5k?

does it haul ***? hehe

Old 06-11-2004, 03:53 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a slightly different opinion. If you DON'T want to go aftermarket, get the JCW. The stock S, IMO, is just too slow. The JCW has good acceleration. Not great but pretty decent. It won't take too much effort or money to beat it aftermarket-wise but if that's not an option, that's not an option. First decide if you COULD go aftermarket. Then you have to compare aftermarket versus JCW. If it's only JCW versus stock, go JCW. That is if you want umph.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:03 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BoopedrivesmyMINI
ok fellas,

is it worth the $5k?

does it haul ***? hehe
To answer the last 2 questions...

Yes and Yes!

Hope that helps...

Old 06-11-2004, 04:08 PM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
I made sure to test drive the MCS and a JCW MCS before I made the decision. There is no question that the JCW package is fantastic. The acceleration is much better, the throttle response is crisper, and the entire power band os expanded so that even at 2,000 rpm it responds nicely.

As for mods, yes, you can reach the same horsepower numbers for less money, but as I have noticed, those who have driven my MINI have noticed, and as every review (Road & Track, Bridger, MINI2, etc) has noted, the JCW package provides a more complete package then any modded MCS they have driven. It is a very well prepared package that does cost a lot of money, but for about $26k it is still the best little sports car you can buy....with the warranty in tact!!!

Old 06-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
{snip}
is it worth the $5k?
{snip}
I'm not sure what you've been quoted for an installed price, but check to see if your $5k figure includes installation. Around here, the JCW kit installed is at least $6k.

Theo

Old 06-11-2004, 06:28 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
I had mine installed at Classic MINI before delivery of the car in January. The cost was $5500 installed. Yes, it's worth $5500, although I've added a few more mods beyond JCW.

I had a new water pump replaced under warranty recently, which wouldn't have been covered if the car had an aftermarket reduced pulley. The cost of the replacement with labor would have been over $1000.

Last edited by dcsmd007; 06-11-2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:38 PM
lotsie
Banned
If you need warrenty ,and can't afford to risk not having it ,go with the JCW
If warrenty and bucks are no issue ,don't bother

Old 06-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
ok fellas,

is it worth the $5k?

does it haul ***? hehe
is it worth the $5k? YES

does it haul ***? YES

IMO you’re getting more than just the warranty - - you’re getting a performance upgrade that was engineered by a company that has many years experience designing and perfecting small engine performance upgrades.

Old 06-13-2004, 03:31 PM
atn57
4th Gear
if you are planning to own your car over 50k miles then no more warrenty. then you are in the same boat as the aftermarket mods. So I rather send less money because I'm going to have the car for a long time..........

aftermaket mods 50,000 miles + = no warranty
JCW 50,000 miles + = no warranty

so either way you look at it you will not have warranty pass 50k

Old 06-13-2004, 03:46 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
To JCW or Not to JCW

That is the question..

JCW allows you to finance your HP. Aftermarket does not. JCW is warrantied and can be extended. Aftermarket does not. JCW is done all at once and as a complete package. Most aftermarkets are not.

If money is no problem and you don't flinch at expensive repairs.Someone posted a $1000 dollar water pump job. Aftermarket will save you some dough and give you more horsepower. SO to save bucks and get HP aftermarket. Come to think of it, if money is no problem-JCW. SO if more HP is what you want then aftermarket.

Of course if anything goes wrong with your modded mini then you need to have a shop that can repair it for you as MINI will not(at least in the non-stock form).

Its really a personal choice, either way has it ups and downs. I chose JCW as it is financed/warranty. It has enough HP for me (for now) and I don't know any repair/speed shops within 30 miles of Chicopee that will work on my car. SO even after my warranty is up it will still go to New Country/Fairfield/Peabody etc.

It's a tough decision. No one can make it for you. You have to weigh your priorities and options.

Paul

Old 06-13-2004, 03:57 PM
atn57
4th Gear
so how long was your warrenty extended?

Old 06-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Tomslick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
If you need warrenty ,and can't afford to risk not having it ,go with the JCW
If warrenty and bucks are no issue ,don't bother
I'm with you. Mine's all aftermarket and I've spent a lot less than $5500 including wheels and tires :smile:. This may be offset down the road by non-warrantied repairs , only time will tell. I drove a Works car at the dealer the other day and quite honestly I like mine better, but that's very subjective. Mine is the culmination of what I wanted in my car. You might not like it at all. Also, I find doing the planning and work myself rewarding and satisfying. Not everyone does. IMO the stock MCS is a great car but it needs some stuff . Do whatever feels best to you.

Old 06-13-2004, 04:43 PM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
ok guys.....i have some responses...,

well one of the MAIN reasons i like the JCW is it is FINANCED HP. Like someone stated above.

also i love the factory work and originality of JCW.

but some of the major questions i have is "is the JCW plenty capable of Upgrades?" Is having the modified head a plus whne it comes to aftermarket down the line?

one more thought...is the JCW exhuast one of the best exhuast out there when it comes to performance and sound? or is there better? borla..etc.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:14 PM
DDTUNG
2nd Gear
ok guys.....i have some responses...,

well one of the MAIN reasons i like the JCW is it is FINANCED HP. Like someone stated above.

also i love the factory work and originality of JCW.

but some of the major questions i have is "is the JCW plenty capable of Upgrades?" Is having the modified head a plus whne it comes to aftermarket down the line?

one more thought...is the JCW exhuast one of the best exhuast out there when it comes to performance and sound? or is there better? borla..etc.
I have a JCW MCS which now also has CAI, large throttle body, upgraded ignition parts, Milltek headers, aftermarket wheels and tires, brake kit, and soon will have several suspension upgrades as well as large intercooler and ECU. The point is that the JCW provides a good platform on which to add further mods, of which the aftermarket offers plenty.

And the JCW catback sounds fantastic with the Milltek headers.

DDTUNG

Old 06-13-2004, 05:15 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by atn57
so how long was your warrenty extended?
Got to find my paperwork. I know it also covered more areas of the car and mileage. I can not believe I don't have this in my head though.When I was purchasing the car it was a big thing to me and the wife. I guess priorities change when you actually have the car.

Paul

Old 06-13-2004, 05:35 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by atn57
aftermaket mods 50,000 miles + = no warranty
JCW 50,000 miles + = no warranty
so either way you look at it you will not have warranty pass 50k
True, true. I went aftermarket (intake, exhaust, 19% pulley) and have 46k miles. So warranty is almost up anyway. For what it's worth, I have a faster car than the JCW (with much more torque) for under considerably under $2k. Although nothing MAJOR with the engine need replacement, I've had many, many things replaced under warranty. So for one, remember it's not your warranty that goes, it's only certain items. And a good dealer will really try to determine if your mod caused it or not so that you don't have to pay. I'm lucky, I know, I've got one of those good dealers. Two, unlike what was mentioned above, even if your modded part DID cause the failure, your dealer should (and most will) still work on the car. You don't HAVE to take it privately.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:54 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
True, true. I went aftermarket (intake, exhaust, 19% pulley) and have 46k miles. So warranty is almost up anyway. For what it's worth, I have a faster car than the JCW (with much more torque) for under considerably under $2k. Although nothing MAJOR with the engine need replacement, I've had many, many things replaced under warranty. So for one, remember it's not your warranty that goes, it's only certain items. And a good dealer will really try to determine if your mod caused it or not so that you don't have to pay. I'm lucky, I know, I've got one of those good dealers. Two, unlike what was mentioned above, even if your modded part DID cause the failure, your dealer should (and most will) still work on the car. You don't HAVE to take it privately.
In other threads they talked of dealerships not being able to troubleshoot unless it was stock. Most dealers would know what spec is on your aftermarket parts, etc. IE a rough running car and you have a bunch of ignition/performance MODs, I don't think most dealers will be able to help you. Thats what I'm talking about.

Paul

Old 06-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Tomslick
3rd Gear
I too am lucky in that my dealer's service dept. is pretty cool. Although the need hasn't arised yet, all indications are they will do their best to take good care of me.
Personally I don't care for JCW exhaust.
JCW is not factory. It is dealer installed and therefore no more "original" than aftermarket, depending on your definition of original.
As far as the head goes, it's way down the list on most upgrade lists.
JCW is without question I think a good set of performance mods.
It's expensive but can be financed with the car.
Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:14 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Yeah I read those posts too. I got ya Paul.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if this will help but here's a review I wrote a while back: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/05/...mcs_kit_review

Old 06-13-2004, 06:54 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
And the JCW catback sounds fantastic with the Milltek headers.
It will sound even better with Milltek header/exhaust combo!

If I didn't have water pump issue, I would've voted for aftermarket alternative. However, because the waterpump was replaced under warranty, I feel that my JCW is totally worth the $5500.

One can easily surpass the 200 hp JCW benchmark with aftermarket components for much less damage to the pocket book. At the local pulley party, a car with 15% pulley, catback exhaust, Alta intake/hose, and Unichip ECU was dynoed better than a standard JCW. All at a cost of under $2500 installed. Quite impressive! On the other hand, the JCW badge is totally priceless.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 PM
atn57
4th Gear
still awaiting of the answer to the extending the warranty of the jcw if it more then 4/50k

Old 06-13-2004, 10:07 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wow im amazed

i cant believe all of these people think the JCW package is worth $5500 bucks. you have to be kidding me. I guess if I was rolling in money I would get it and then still go aftermarket.

a. you can get more Hp and more Torque (maybe more importantly) for far less money.

b. the JCW exhaust is really quiet and shows no power gains, so what's the point?

c. comes with the stock air box, so even if you get the "Works" you will want to go aftermarket there anyways.

d. the magazines probably like it because its quiet and therefore feels more refined. this is due to an exhaust that is quieter than stock and no supercharger whine due to no modified Cold Air Intake system

e. well there is no e because i can go on forever. JCW would be better for resale value as opposed to moddifying the car yourself. the only positive i could think of. yikes money doesn't grow on trees people.

Old 06-13-2004, 10:37 PM
jkagan
2nd Gear
Another perspective

Also, although the JCW kit can be further upgraded with other aftermarket parts (i.e. CAI, header, smaller pulley), if you do that you may be eliminating the very thing you are paying the hefty premium for - the warranty.

Financing the mods is certainly a huge advantage, but (for my money) if you think you be doing significant additional engine mods, the JCW package is not the way to go. As everyone else has noted, with JSW you are paying a huge premium for a warranty. If you are going to give you dealer a way not to honor that warranty, that is not money well spent.

For me, I didn't think the JCW package was worth it. I think that modding the car is part of the fun, and if I got the JCW package I would be reluctant to experiment with new mods for fear of voiding the (now very expensive) warranty. I didn't want to spend more money to have less fun.

Either way I'm sure you will have lots of fun.

Old 06-14-2004, 12:32 AM
JBOO
2nd Gear
For some reason, I'm thinking that I read JCW kit was only covered for two years. Anyone know for sure?

I know for sure it's only 2 years in Europe, but not confident for the US. If it's covered for the entire 4 years, then I would be more willing to fork over the big bucks. However, for only 2 years I would defintely think twice.

Quick Reply: JCW is it worth it?